Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    ddragon07            10-05-2003, 6:43 PM Reply   
I don't know when I should start competing an actually start winning them. My best moves are wirlybird, ts back roll, tantrum, and ts front roll.
Old    blind5            10-05-2003, 6:58 PM Reply   
why don't you try to ride jr. mens
Old    lukem            10-05-2003, 8:33 PM Reply   
the worst thing that can happen is you will place bad, big deal, should be there to have a good time anyways. i went and rode this summer, and had a blast i couldnt do all that much at all. but it was awsome.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-06-2003, 7:59 PM Reply   
Participating in competitions doesn't have to be about winning. Half the fun of a competition is meeting new people, having people push you harder to try new things, getting new riding partners, and looking at the eye candy while you're having a good time.

Competitions don't always treat you fair either. You might go out and ride the ride of your life to be marked poorly because of a judges view of what he thinks is a good ride. Or the simple fact that you did your best and someone else stomped it. No matter you've gained some good experience and insight as to work on different things.

Good luck.
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-07-2003, 8:23 AM Reply   
Get out there and have fun!! And thats an order!! lol
Old    wakeboard_iraq            10-07-2003, 11:40 AM Reply   
I do a fantastic impersonation of "Wally" in Detention - think that is worth anything? haha
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-02-2003, 10:27 PM Reply   
The best part about going to the competitions is to meet all the new people. At the end of the comp... no one ever knows who placed where... but everyone comes away with funny and interesting stories of the weekend's events. One thing you will hear quite often is "What goes on the road.. stays on the road!" Enjoy the comps! You will love em!
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-03-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
In a decent outlaw division you will need more than that to place, but you should be able to put together a respectable run. In a decent advanced division you should do pretty good.
Old     (kneebone)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-03-2003, 9:20 AM Reply   
Chris, start in the INT events. There are several catagories. My daughter was in her first event at 7. All she did was go back and forth outside the wake, wave at the judges, and jumped one wake only both ts and hs. It was a blast. We met so many people. Local boardshops should have an INT event schedule.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-04-2003, 6:48 AM Reply   
My opinion on tournaments. A lot of standing around for a little bit of riding. Would rather spend the time and $$$ at the lake anyday.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-04-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
I recomend competitions anyday!!! Doesn't matter how good you are or what you can pull. There's always a division for you. Even if you don't ride, go and meet people. I don't have a boat and owe about 60% of my time on the water while I'm not in comps to people I have met through comps. Go for it! AZ has an awesome group. http://www.azwakeboardassoc.com/

www.enemyofevilclothing.com
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-04-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
Chris, you can also compete in the WWA Vans series. I believe if you place in the first stop you'll be invited to Nationals and then Worlds if you make the cut. Here is the registration link.

http://www.vanswakeboard.com/registration.jsp?eventType=WAKEBOARDING
Old    wakejunkeygirl            12-04-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
Jim...LOL! Wally.

well just my two cents, but I am 31 and just started riding this year. I entered a 'grassroots' contest this past summer and took 5th place (or in other words...DEAD LAST!) but I had a great time trying and I didnt even have my W2W perfected, but I figured, shoot, why not get the first comp outta the way see if I was nervous or anything. I wasnt, and I had a great time and it gave me a great feeling of accomplishment just to TRY! Like I said, I am 31 years old and have never won a trophy for anything..and I want one BAD! my goal is a trophy, pref. in wakeboarding, before I turn 33. that gives me 1 and 1/2 years. and If I dont get one then, well, I'll push it back to 35 *but hopefully I wont have to do that since I just did my first air 180, rode switch then did my surface 180 back around *that was my goal to be able to that on or before next april.* so I am ahead of the game! good luck and with that bag of trix you have Chris, I am sure you are ready and will do great! and even if I dont get a trophy by the time I am 35..everytime I go wakeboarding it puts me in the BEST mood and I have a great time regardless of how good or bad I ride.

oh yeah, I also totally agree with Jeff.

(Message edited by wakejunkeygirl on December 04, 2003)