Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-17-2003, 3:55 PM Reply   
Have a little time to kill as the So Cal grocery strike has killed sales.
This thread is purely tongue in cheek, humor for those that surf and wakeboard. Feel free to post your own observations of any amusing differences between the two pursuits.
Since I've surfed many more years than I've wakeboarded, my list will be from the "advantages of surfing" side. Again, this is for fun. Here it goes:

1) No need to scramble for a "third" or even a "second" for that matter.
2) Preparing "my rig" to go surfing only takes 1 minute(or I can walk or bike to the ocean).
3) Don't need 15 year loan to purchase surfboard.
4) Not necessary to park overnight in any "line" to secure nice riding conditions.
5) No usage or launch fees.
6) If someone is a "no show" so what?
7) Water never ices over.
8) No need to fill sacks to create waves, and
9) No need to empty sacks when done riding.
10) Power turns are good.
11) Numerous large rollers coming your way are very good.
12) No authorities in boat lecturing you on surfing to close to shore or other surfers.
13) Not necessary to clean salt off board or use Ducky to remove waterspots afterward.
14) No shallow hidden dangers that can cause hundreds or thousands of dollars damage to the underside of your board.
15) No need to flush pee out of wetsuit before climbing back on surfboard; and lastly......
16) NO TUBERS MESSING UP THE CONDITIONS-EVER!

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-18-2003, 3:44 AM Reply   
That's nasty, I can't believe you would wear your pee all day.
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-18-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
you have to wait in line to wakeboard
Old     (scottie_k)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-18-2003, 4:09 PM Reply   
No getting pushed out of the parking lot by rangers after a sweet session when you want to hang with your buds, tell wake stories and watch the sun go down.
Old    sdorovi            10-18-2003, 10:32 PM Reply   
A surfer looking at the positives of wakeboarding

1)washout conditions are controlable
2)wave size controlable
3)don't have to sit freezing while straddled on a board waiting for the next set to come in.
4)No sharks
5)Don't get pinned on the bottom of the ocean for half a minute after taking a big spill
6)see #4
7)Don't have people trying to claim the the whole Delta as their turf
8)chicks dig a your rig
9)You don't have to do it for ten years( at about an average of five rides per session if conditions are good)to get good
10)When the swell craps out on you you don't have to paddle to shore, you ge to ride in your plush boat that is going to take you 15 years to pay for.
11)See #4

Don't get me wrong there's a time and place for every board sport, but you got to admit wakeboarding is one of the best ones.
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       10-18-2003, 10:48 PM Reply   
For reasons why surfing is better than wakeboarding:

17. $2.00 of gas to get to beach to surf vs. $60.00 of gas between your tow and boat.
18. Hard to break ribs or pop your ear drum surfing.

Old    obsurfer            10-19-2003, 12:43 AM Reply   
Number one reason wakeboarding is better. You don't have to listen to some B.S. story of how good your surf bud is and how good it was before you got there.
2.The water is a lot cleaner
3.You have a third to tell him he's not that good!
4.The reinvention of the longboard. Nothing is more painful than watching a bad surfer beat everyone to the waves on a longboard. Watch the sorry ass do slow motion turns down a perfect wave.
5.Complainers Complaining.
6. Surfer acting like surfers.
7. Waiting for the right tide.
8. Having to swim in on a big day.
9. Dog crap and cigarette butts everywhere.
10. T.V. coverage is bad; and contest have bad surf 90 percent of the time.
But when its overhead wakeboarding can't beat it.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            10-19-2003, 5:37 AM Reply   
sdorovi doscu (sdorovi): your number 7 does that really happen?? If so that is lame! But I could totally see some people acting that way.

and Steve: your number 5 that is MY BIGGEST dislike! Its like if you are going to take it SO serious and not even HAVE FUN...and act like you are training to be a pro...then either try and go pro or don't ruin everyone elses day just cuz you rode like a 10 year old girl *sorry, no offense to 10 year old girls out there who can RIP*

If your gonna complain and be mr. poopy pants..Then F**KING STAY HOME!
As you can tell, we have a whiner in our crew.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-19-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
angi you need to quit whining about the whiner
Old    obsurfer            10-19-2003, 10:16 AM Reply   
I have fun when I see the younger crew ripping and pushing me. I have fun when I see someone use their skill to make a wave.(using the rail of the board not the floatation of a slab). I have fun when I see a girl take up the sport to push herself rather then to meet dorks.
Old    obsurfer            10-19-2003, 10:20 AM Reply   
Anyway wakeboarding with friends is more fun.
Old    staticlullaby            10-19-2003, 11:47 AM Reply   
girls like to chill in their bikinis on your boat instead of in a wetsuit in the water.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            10-19-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
Tim...Ha ha,,thats exactly what I was thinking when I typed that! I was like, I better put a 'disclaimer' in here, cuz some smartypants is gonna rip on me.. *but, for the record, I wasnt whining, I was stating a fact* LOL

Shannon...NOT THIS GIRL(((Those girls can stay home TOO!)))))
Old    sdorovi            10-19-2003, 2:18 PM Reply   
to answer your question angi,yes. Up here in northern California there are beaches where guys have gotten the Shizz beat out of them for surfing a break that was supposedly only met for the locals. Not hatin on surfin when conditions are right it's a beautiful thing. That's why wakesurfing is pretty cool when it gets close to the end of the day and your too tired to wakeboard and the water at the lake starts to get choppy, bust out your wakesurf board and enjoy a little artificial wave riding.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            10-19-2003, 2:28 PM Reply   
Yeah, sdorovi we just went out wakesurfing/wakeboarding today allll day! The intercoastal was choppy when we got there, but by the time everyone had their wakesurf pass it was glass and time to board..it was so much fun and a nice alternative to boarding. We were behind an X30 with a 'wall of a wake' it made surfing/boarding so sweet!
Old    sdorovi            10-19-2003, 3:32 PM Reply   
Sounds soooo good! angi, but I spent allll day with my cranky three old kid and my 8 month old little girl, bet you can't beat that. No I guess you I'm jealous.

My friend Alan just left for Orlando today gonna nail down the details on design and production of his wakesurf board line. Coming soon to a shop near you, hopefully! Since my tow is gone I'm stuck home drooling over wakeboard dvd's
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-19-2003, 6:06 PM Reply   
"4.The reinvention of the longboard. Nothing is more painful than watching a bad surfer beat everyone to the waves on a longboard. Watch the sorry ass do slow motion turns down a perfect wave."

Sounds like someone has spent some time at South Garbage on a crowded day!

Glad to see that you share the same frustration.

Here are some advantages to surfing: There are no power turners or roaches (Well usually no roaches)

When it is crowded it doesn't ruin the conditions.

Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-19-2003, 6:37 PM Reply   
No one is better but you can go surfing all day and get two rides wakeboarding you can go out for an hour and ride 45 minutes everytime. And on the delta there is good water everyday year round un like when the swell is down. Also way moree places to wakeboard then surf. cant surf on lakes
Old    sdorovi            10-19-2003, 9:03 PM Reply   
My sentiment exactly Kevin
Old    obsurfer            10-19-2003, 11:12 PM Reply   
Thanks for helping pull the hair out of her. I love both sports but wakeboardings has a lot more advantages when you don't have a bunch of guys beating their chest. Most spots get a lot juicer with an incoming tide. If you notice the moon in the east during the day it well help. Just some things I learned before the f word.
Old    corey_marotta            10-20-2003, 1:48 PM Reply   
SURFING HANDS DOWN. Wakeboarding has to be the biggest glam sport short of 80's. I have a huge passion for wakeboarding but comparing it to surfing... Wakeboarding in So Cal has turned into "he who spends the most money on tower accessories wins". As far as the "surfers acting like surfers" comment goes, thank god they don't act like wakeboarders.
Old    norcal_99            10-20-2003, 2:04 PM Reply   
I thought basketball was the biggest glam sport.

Old    sdorovi            10-20-2003, 3:57 PM Reply   
I thought it was golf! In wakeboarding you know the guy has the thing on a 15 year loan. In golf the half the guys can give a 15 year loan
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-20-2003, 6:54 PM Reply   
Corey, I'm with you. Surfing hands down. Wakeboarding is quickly losing its appeal to me for many reasons, not coincidentally coinciding with my introduction (and growing addiction) to surfing.
Old    lunaraven            10-21-2003, 1:34 PM Reply   
I dont think wakeboarding would exist without surfing, my first board was a FullTilt skurfer. If I lived next to a warm ocean then I would be a surfer, most people dont. I have gone on several surfing trips before I started wakeboarding and the hardest part was getting a small peice of wave from some local who was glaring at you for daring to come spend your money in his local economy to steal his waves. I wakeboard in cold and remote places where no-one else is around and it energizes my soul. To call it an 80's glam sport is an elitist comment coming from a glam surfer. I'm not putting down surfers cause its a great sport, so if you dont like wakeboarding go to a Surfing forum...
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       10-21-2003, 2:52 PM Reply   
Rene, Basketball is the biggest glam sport in the Sacramento area....
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-21-2003, 3:12 PM Reply   
I would be a surfer too... until they got movies like blue crush
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       10-21-2003, 4:02 PM Reply   
Bottom line:
I could live without wakeboarding.
I could never live without surfing.

Rick, that doesnt mean I dont like wakeboarding.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-21-2003, 4:15 PM Reply   
I only have wakesurfing to compare, but surfing seems a lot like back country snowboarding: A lot of hiking and work for one short ride, then you hike again.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-21-2003, 5:33 PM Reply   
Joe, I'm pretty close to feeling the same way you do, although I'm sure I'll continue to enjoy wakeboarding as well.

J-Rod, no doubt that surfing is a lot more work. For me that's a good thing as the more exercise the better. Plus its worth it when you get the feeling of using the force of nature to propel you down the face of the wave, or when you are sitting waiting for a set to come in and you get a visit from a pod of dolphins.
Old    norcal_99            10-21-2003, 8:09 PM Reply   
J-rod, Surfing is way harder than wakesurfing.

My first time surfing I couldn't even catch a wave, and thought I was gonna drown when a wave crushed on top of me. I had to swim to shore, catch my breath, and regain my courage before I would even go back out.

My first time wakesurfing I was able to ride no problem.

For the record: I still suck at surfing, but I have fun everytime I go.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-21-2003, 8:11 PM Reply   
Rene, while I agree surfing is really tough when you are starting out you should fully blame your experience on that toothpick you were trying to surf on!

Glad you are enjoying it now though and I hope we can get together and surf soon.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-21-2003, 8:20 PM Reply   
Yeah J-Rod, wakesurfing gives a very little indication of how ocean surfing really is. They don't compare in my opinion.

But coming from your point of view I completely see your point!
Old    norcal_99            10-21-2003, 8:21 PM Reply   
Yeah, I guess a 5'10" board is a little short for a newbie.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-21-2003, 9:39 PM Reply   
Rene,
I'll get you up on a 5'4" No question.
Old    obsurfer            10-22-2003, 1:16 AM Reply   
Dude start on a longboring board......than move down in size to tap that the juice.
Old    obsurfer            10-22-2003, 1:20 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding rules in the summer because there are no summer swells in San Diego.(ok we know there a few spots blabelmooch) The secrets out hike to blacks on every south swell and see how ya do.
Old    lunaraven            10-22-2003, 8:59 AM Reply   
Joe, I would be more pro surfing if the closest surfing to me wasnt 2 hrs driving and a 1.5 hr ferry just to freeze in the water. But I've found the best waves in most of the warm places Ive been to are around reefs which rip you up when your learning. (Also even in a good surfshirt too much nipple abuse) Both sports are great but labelling wakeboarding an 80's glam sport is like labelling surfing a 50's Beatnik sport.
Old    martini            10-22-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
surfing is not on the same level...you can't compare the two! they are totally different...have you ever paddeled into the wake???

wakeboarding is great...you get the wake to yourself, you don't have to deal with 800 guys scratching for the same 4 wave sets...

you also get to kick it on the boat with your friends and listen to music and think about what your going to do next time it's your turn...

traveling for surf is the best way to go if you live in socal...it's one of the only ways to get un-crowded surf...

nothing compares to a tube and come out...
Old    martini            10-22-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
true they are both board sports, but they are two different animals...

i love them both...

Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
I'm with you Pete, good points. Different animals that I like for very different reasons. Wakeboarding more for the social aspects, surfing more for the "feel" involved.

This morning was pretty great by the way. Uncrowded. No marine layer, water was relatively warm, and occasionally some decent waves came in. Life was good.
Old    sdorovi            10-22-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
Alan I heard you get everyone up!J/K

J-Rod I have to agree with you surfing is alot of work, but it's all relative to the conditions that apply.

I Wakeboard,Surf,Snowboard, and Skate not super good at any one of them, but depending on where I am or what the weather's like and water conditions are I have fun with each. I think California's are spoiled because you can do anyone of these sports year round especially northern californian's. The Pacific Ocean is a 1 hour drive away from me, the Sierra's are 3hours away, the Delta is 45 min. and the skatepark is 3 blocks from my house.

Board sports rule I think you have more fun in each when conditions are good. Everybody has a hard time in bad conditions.

And finally every sport is even better when you don't have rock heads trying to prove their better. Stay cool and make it fun for all.
Old     (scottie_k)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-22-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
Mike,
I bet you never imagined all this Yap/Yap when you started this thread, probably trying to show a few differences because you recently had a good surf session. I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow, need a third for the morning @ San V., you available? Then I'm headed out to surf the rest of the weekend!

Scott
Old    martini            10-22-2003, 1:49 PM Reply   
right on Andre! glad you got it good this morning...
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2003, 1:53 PM Reply   
Well, Pena would have been scoffing at me since I was on my slab doing weak turns and trying to get out on the nose for the first time, but that's an argument for another day!
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-22-2003, 5:18 PM Reply   
Although I like wakeboarding better, the beach is a 1 block walk as opposed to a 40 mile drive for wakeboarding.
Old    tribal            10-22-2003, 6:23 PM Reply   
The problem with surfing is the crowds.Here in can we don't have an issue with crowds wakeboarding yet[at least were I live]
Old    obsurfer            10-22-2003, 6:38 PM Reply   
I'm sorry andre but there are week waves just for longboring. But We all lost the point of this was to have fun. I have fun on four foot plus,low going high tide,days. When I started surfing I injoyed many small weak waves. And I hope you are.I like longboards.Its only when the surf is really good and someone brings it out to be a hog/glam/unfriendly surfer. Please don't get the wrong impression fo me. I am friendly and love to share waves.But the competing for waves has gone crazy. They rent kayaks to poeple and tell them its ok to run surfers over. So wakeboarding is a blast and a good break from the crowded good spots.Oh and Andre its a good thing to not bring the longboard to bigrock.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-22-2003, 6:46 PM Reply   
Steve, I hear ya. I was just taking a friendly jab. Being a relative newbie I pretty much avoid the crowds and hit up my favorite spots in Del Mar almost exclusively (7th and 11th streets). I have a new board waiting for me to pick up, a 7'10", so I am at least moving down some.

I got my first taste of some serious frustration a couple of weeks ago sitting out on a pretty good break with 5 or 6 guys. One guy was on a kayak, or something like a kayak, and was paddling into almost every freaking wave and kept yelling me off. I've got no problem with whoever being out there but really believe in everyone being considerate and making sure that everyone's getting some waves.

Anyway, I'm fully addicted and can't wait to go out again. Once I get going okay on my 7'10" maybe we can meet up and you can give me some much needed pointers.
Old    tfdhyprider            10-22-2003, 7:01 PM Reply   
ok whats up w/ surfing .....u can carve the wake on a wakeboard. in surfing thats like huge! wanna go huge u need to go wakeboarding! surfing is fun tho. just i dont understand all the publicity of carving the wake supper hard and a few 360's everyonce in a while
Old    norcal_99            10-22-2003, 11:28 PM Reply   
Hey Andrew, I see you live in Springdale Arkansas. I'm going to be there Nov 3-6th. Is it still wake season or has the weather turned cold?

Old    lachlantait            10-23-2003, 3:31 AM Reply   
How can surfers say its so hard and technical wen josh sanders (aussie lad thankyu very much) and parks where riding tenahapu barrels after only half a day plus getting towed into ways that you coast surfers could ever dream about i mean these barrels were 7 foot high!
plus if i wanted to go surfing ide get a bucket fill it with water put a bag of salt in it, drink it. get a razor cut all up my legs put some vinegar on it to make it hurt, get a mate to back me over the head with a block of wood, hold my breathe for as long as i can in the bath and while all this is happening get the same to punch me every 5 minutes and yell get off our surf ring in!!!
no disrespect to surfers i just thought it was a funny as hell joke
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-23-2003, 6:54 AM Reply   
ha ha ha ha ha - that's classic Lachlan.
You forgot rub sandpaper on your back to imitate the effect of trying to make an impossible hollow section on the beach and getting raked across the sand bar.
Seriously, it's not about riding the wave Lachlan that makes surfing challenging - anyone can get towed into a wave and ride it for at least a section. It's about learning how the waves move and how the ocean breathes. Every wave is different. When you're charging down the line you have to have an understanding of how the wave will break and what your options are. Good surfers will make a crap wave look fun and make a good wave look effortless.
Old    obsurfer            10-23-2003, 10:39 AM Reply   
Well it took me about five years before I got a stand up barrel and came out. I hate to admit it,but its true. Surfing on a big day well put you in situations that a very scary and I hope you have taken the time to learn how to swim in. Just incase you lose your board.With a jet ski pros are going for huge waves. Look at the size difference between what pro-wakeboarders are on.I'm not the just injoy the pros....
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-28-2003, 11:49 AM Reply   
Paul, here is an example of a porpoise pod in full view of surfers. It is an incredible experience that is hard to explain to the uninitiated.

Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       10-28-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
Killer pics Mike.
Those surfer's are hoping that sonar really works!
Ive seen dolphins in the wave right in front of me like that before. Ive also had them launch out of the water right next to me and its a little intimidating. The full grown dolphins have to weigh a few hundred pounds and they hall ass.
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-28-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
Joe, I've had the same experience. Years ago one was swimming in the wave below my surfboard and my fin hit some part of its body. No harm done, I just felt I was trespassing in his territory.
Old    sdorovi            10-29-2003, 4:06 PM Reply   
Look I know that surfing for some is spiritual and all that stuff, but it doesn't do it for me. We were out surfing at Wadell Creek here in northern california when my friend split his head when he kicked off a wave and his board got thrown back into him. It was until then that we found out that the area had good surf, but the waters were shark infested. Pretty scary, not fun,Scary!
So I will repeat my comment everything can be fun when the right conditions apply.