Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (skiknox)      Join Date: May 2014       06-11-2014, 6:05 PM Reply   
What fins are used for the small leading fins? They are future boxes and i know f4 go in the rear drive fins.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-11-2014, 7:38 PM Reply   
Ben,

Most people use the futures C5 fins. These are good, inexpensive canard fins.

You can get them here.

An improve canard fin designed for wakesurfing can be purchased here.

Many manufactures supply F4 fins, as these are a very general fin design, good for a lot of situations, and because we marketed them as the 'best' wakesurf fin out there and many followed suit.

An improved wake surf fin can be purchased here.

Nick

Last edited by Chaos; 06-11-2014 at 7:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-11-2014, 8:04 PM Reply   
I like my futures YU 4s, they made a quad in the honeycomb...
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       06-11-2014, 8:19 PM Reply   
Nice marketing Nick those are sick.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-11-2014, 8:44 PM Reply   
Finally, a better fin for the C5 box! Thanks Nick!

Question for you though, my old Walzer Alpha has the C5 boxes and that's it. The standard C5 fin is not a good drive fin. I've messed with re-profiling them and working on the bases in order to get them to sit flush with the deck and have made some minor gains. In your opinion, do you think your Chaos fin would be a better drive fin than the C5? I know it's not meant to be a primary drive fin but, neither is the C5.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-12-2014, 1:00 PM Reply   
Fence_sence. I can't say empirically, but in my experience they feel a lot better. However, I have never run them by themselves.

If I ventured an educated guess I would say they should have more drive, since they have a significantly wider base, and that was one of the intentional characteristics of the design.

Canard style fins are a dying accessory in the surf world. There is a very small market for C5 enthusiasts and only a slightly bigger market for twinzer enthusiasts.
Those manufactures that specialize in twinzers, have there own fin templates and they tend to be quite large, with flat foils and significant cants. I would venture to guess that Futures sells more c5 boxes for the wake surfboards than for surfboards now.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-12-2014, 3:32 PM Reply   
Awesome! Thanks Nick.