Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (poontank)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-16-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Hey guys. I'm currently looking at relocating myself and my family, but I'm having the hardest time finding the right place. You see, my two favorite hobbies are mountain biking and wakeboarding. It seems I am finding places that offer awesome opportunities for one, but are very limited on the other.

What I am looking for is a place that is warm year round with lots of technical singletrack nearby and plenty of watersports opportunities with 10-15 minutes. It would also be great if some epic snowboarding could be had within a few hours drive. For occupational reasons it would be important that a large city be with commuting distance. Does such a place exist?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-16-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
Yeah it's called California, but you should stay away the earthquakes are really bad.
Old     (poontank)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-16-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
That's funny. I just wanted How the Earth Was Made on the History Channel last night. It was all about the San Andreas fault. At the end they said the experts agree that there is a 99% chance the "Big One" will happen in the next 30 years.

But I digress. Where in California? Can you name a few cities that match my criteria. That would be awesome. Thanks.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-16-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
Sacramento but again, you will need a drysuit for the winter.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-16-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
Sacramento is good because we have probably 30 lakes within 30 - 45 minutes. Epic mountain biking 1-2 hours away. and Ocean about an hour and half away.

100+ degrees in the summer and drysuit winters but we all turn our attention to the snow for the most part.

But again the Earthquakes and fires are unbearable here. I wouldn't come if I were you.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-16-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
Minnesota WHAT! not warm all year but bad azzz Mt Biking, and SICK LAKES.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       02-16-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
auburn, ca

Live there and love it. TONS of mountain bike riding all over! Epic lakes in every direction, epic snowboarding only 1 hour away to the closest resort. Truely an outdoorsman's paradise.

Many commute 20 minutes to rocklin or roseville. Could even commute 50 minutes to Sac if you really wanted to.

(Message edited by wakeboardertj on February 16, 2009)
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-16-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
whats the housing market look like there? are there affordable houses on/near the water? ... that's my real issue with ca other than the traffic...

(Message edited by stoked_32 on February 16, 2009)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-16-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
depends on what your housing budget is like. right now you can buy very nice houses on the water here in discovery bay on the delta for around 500,000. you can buy off the water in the same town for around 300,000
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-16-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   
you can find cheaper houses in the very low 200s that need a little work but are still nice
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-16-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
dont forget ,its mad expensive to live in cali,the traffic sucks,and riley you forgot mudslides and shark attacks :-)
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-16-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
Oh yeah those killer mudslides that happen every week are a killer. I wouldn't move here for sure.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-16-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
Have you considered Oregon or Washington?

While not as warm they have a long wakeboarding season and some diehards do ride almost if not year round. Both states are also very solid for mountain biking.
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-16-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
Martin
Don't think about California.
Park City Utah is where its at.
Summer awesome wakeboarding in town and about the best bike trails and lifts in the US, winter is all about snowboarding.
I've considered it myself but the job issue is the only challenge.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-16-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
Portland Oregon, ride all year, just 5 month in a drysuit. Lot's of single track every where, Mt Hood and Alpine for your winter fix, less then a hour.
Old     (quick)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-16-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
Phoenix, AZ!!!!!!!! Killer MTB and there are lakes too. You can ride both year round if you want.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-16-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
Yeah you should move to Oregon, Utah or Arizona. They are all way better than Cali!
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-16-2009, 6:02 PM Reply   
I agree with CQ arizona is amazing awesome lakes lake powell mountain biking snowboarding everything its always amazing weather too
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-16-2009, 7:56 PM Reply   
British Colombia! Some of the sickest riding in the world, and of lakes!!
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-16-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
Austin Texas! It is in the hill country, great biking. 4 lakes within an hour. Lake Austin is pretty much one of the biggest riding scenes in the state. A few worthwhile rivers nearby. Great city to raise a family. Low cost of living. Warm year round. That is it, no more worries about where to move, come on down.
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-16-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Stay out of the Northwest... it rains everyday here, our lakes are awful, people only slalom ski and no one mtn. bikes so you probably couldn't even find a shop, or a trail. Did I mention Earthquakes, flash floods, acid rain, tornadoes, gigantic monster spiders?
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-16-2009, 8:23 PM Reply   
Charlotte Metro Region,North Carolina. Affordable housing, Lake Norman,and at least two popular mtn bike trails, two hours drive to sugar mtn for snowboarding.
Old     (big_boss)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-16-2009, 9:47 PM Reply   
+1 for Austin TX. Great lakes, great mountain biking, and it's a cheap 2 hour flight to Denver in the winter time!
Old     (poontank)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-16-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
You guys are funny :-)

A lot of good suggestions here. Some places I hadn't considered like Austin. I'll have to check it out on my road trip out west next month. Some others like BC...yeah, um, probably not to live. Perhaps I will take a trip there sometime in the summer. But I'd really like to get out of the cold.

Keep them coming. Thanks, guys.
Old     (poontank)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-16-2009, 10:16 PM Reply   
Mike, according to googlemaps Austin Lake is almost 5 hours away from Austin. Is there another lake austin that is closer that I'm not seeing on the map?
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       02-17-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
Arenal, Costa Rica.
Mountains all around a big a$$ lake that has virtually no boats on it. Riding year round without wetsuits. Kiteboarding/windsurfing. Surfing at a 2 hours-drive.
Snowboarding might be a problem though. But who needs that with all of the above anyway?!
Old     (zach2orjack)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-17-2009, 6:59 AM Reply   
Whatever you do don't come to the Dirty Dirty. You will hate it. There are too many nice people down here. The summers are humid and winters are at least 3 months of torture. Stay away from Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, the Carolinas, Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana and Florida.

Good luck with your search.
Old     (poontank)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-17-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
This is going to be a lot tougher compiling a list of the places I "don't want to go."
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-17-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
you guys just dont want this poor guy on your lakes!
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-17-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
Martin,

It is right downtown. There is also Lake Travis and Canyon Lake. And, I almost forgot, the Texas Ski Ranch is about 35 minutes away.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/austin/access.phtml

Upload
Old     (poontank)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-17-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
Looks more like a river to me :-)
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-17-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
It is more like a river, that is what is so great about it....if the wind is a blowin, turn a corner, and you're good to go. Plus on much of the lake there are cliffs and the water is usually butter.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-17-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
Check out these cats...

http://www.austinridgeriders.com/
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-17-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
Martin, I have been all over the US and if given the chance to move anywhere it would be lake Austin. The hill country surrounding is probably a good place to bike there is not any mountians but there are several canyons. www.360wakeboard.com
Old     (poontank)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-20-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
Mike and Doug, thanks for the links. Good stuff there. I'll definitely have to check out Austin on my way through next month. Anybody looking for a third then?

Any other suggestions?
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-20-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
Martin,

I would love to give you a pull, but I will be in Houston in March. If you head through Houston give PM me. I am taking two weeks of vacation so I can ride during the week. We are going to hit up the Trinity River, i have never rode there but I hear it is sweet.