Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
Hey guys, aside from the IR wireless ones, is there a radio trigger someone can recommend? I want something that I can trigger without a line of site at a range of a couple hundred feet.

Thanks!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-23-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
Get a 1DmkIII and that new wifi model they just came out with.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-23-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
Swami-

Industry standard are PocketWizards. A pair of those along with a motordrive cable will do the trick. You can get the cable for $50 at www.canoncable.com . I use the PW MultiMAX units, as they give you a few more functions than the standard ones, but the new Plus II units are nice as well. Stated range is 1600ft. Depending on your setup, you'll see real world range of 200' to over half a mile.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-23-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
PW's all the way, as Mike mentioned.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-24-2007, 5:38 AM Reply   
What's wrong with my idea? He only needs to add a couple 0's to Mike's number! Upload
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-24-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
...and a bit of patience while he sits on a waiting list for...ever!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-24-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
Not a couple hundred but they claim 100'.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=5652&A=details&Q=&sku=445041&is=REG&addedTr oughType=categoryNavigation

Let us know how it works if you get one.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
Hey Peter, that remote says it's for the Rebel XT, but one of the reviews say the guy got it running with his 20D.

I have a set of pocketwizards. are you telling me that they can actually trigger the camera shutter??

I only thought those were for flash units... LOL!

-S
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
Alrighty, I ordered the cable. :-P

here is a PW question. I just noticed that the Multimax does 2nd curtain sync. Now if I get the multimax, will it trigger my PW Pluses if they are on the same channel? I've been wanting rear curtain sync on my strobes, but the only way to do that is to slave trigger the strobes with my speedlight (not the best way to go about it!)

-S
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-25-2007, 12:11 AM Reply   
PWs are magic...they can do EVERYTHING!

Ok so seriously, yeah, you can trigger your camera using PWs. You just hook the motordrive cable to your PW and then to the remote plug in the side of the camera. Then you can press the PW test button and it will fire the camera off.

And the MMs can do EVEN MORE of EVERYTHING! They can communicate with any PW (as far as I know?) as long as it's on the right channel. The 2nd curtain sync works pretty well, but it isn't perfect. For some of the speeds you might have to tinker w/ the delay speeds a bit to get it all dialed, but it works. I've got a MM and two PW +2's...they play well together.
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-25-2007, 8:22 AM Reply   
Is it worth getting the Pocket wizzard multi max over the Plus II? I'm not sure how the difference will help me....
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-25-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
The MM is only more valuable than the PW+2 if you are going to use the extra features it has.

Check out the differences and find out what would suit your needs best. http://www.pocketwizard.com/
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
awesome. Second Curtain sync is the shizzznit! :-) I've been missing that when I use my strobes.

-S
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
ok I got the cable. It works (as in it triggers the shutter) I don't feel the AF kicking in, but I didn't really play much with it.

I did notice while the cable is plugged in you can't access playback nor menu.

-S
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-01-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
The "pre-release" basically makes it act as if the camera's shutter button is halfway pressed. This keeps the camera on and ready to shoot (less lag time from the time you press the button to the time it takes the pic). This also means, unfortunately, that you'll either have to unplug the cord from the camera or flip the switch from pre-release to normal.

Not sure if AF is possible w/ it, though. Isler might know...perhaps he'll chime in.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
For what I'm using it for, it should not be a problem. I'm mounting remote cameras at weddings so they will be pre focused... so it should be ok. (I wonder what the constant pre-press does for battery life tho... hmmm)
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-02-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
With the PW motordrive cords, AF is not possible. The lens should be put into manual focus mode, and focus should be pre-set.

As far as battery drain... yes, it's definitely an issue! I would definitely test your setup with a charged battery to see how long it lasts before mounting it. Could be anywhere between 1-6 hours or so, depending on camera and battery age. If possible, hooking the camera into a nearby AC outlet is your best option.