Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-22-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
Last year, I made about 200 phone calls and knocked on another 100 or so doors to start a spreadsheet (that is still growing) of most of the lakes, clubs, and owners around the Denver area.

I’ve kept in regular contact with most of the owners so we’ve managed to get on several lakes this year. We are going to be taking over a couple of these lakes and there are 4+ lakes that I am aware of right now that have memberships available. We are members on most of these lakes (for our lessons, camps, and such) so I'd want to make sure it's a good fit before passing on your info. (On most, you have to be referred to get in.) If you are pretty cool, family friendly, professional, not loud and obnoxious, and by all accounts, normal, hit me up privately to discuss. (Sorry to sound uptight but it has really taken a lot of time to build a rapport and/or agreements with the owners and such.)

Almost every one of these private lakes costs about 3000 to 3600/a year depending on if you have your own boat or not. 1 lake is in South Ft. Collins, 1 is in Greeley, 1 is near Timnath, and 1 is in West Longmont. All are smaller lakes but good enough to get 6-8 tricks in each way. All stay full year round and don’t have a cut off date. You can leave your boat there and most allow trailers and such for camping. A couple actually allow fires which is cool. And most important, they warm up.

We are really looking for some flexible peeps that can get along with the old timers as well as the cool kids (if you catch the hint). Hit me up privately to discuss anything further, and we'll see if it's a fit or not.
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-24-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
wow, it seem's like that took alot of work. why would you just give that out for free? what is in it for you? i am wondering if the managers and members of these lakes know that you are doing this. i know that if i saw an add for spot on my like and it wasn't from that manager i would be f-ing pissed.

if you are talking about timnath, remember this is the last year!!
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-25-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
Yeah, we get a better deal if I help fill the spots. If you notice there are couple of lakes not mentioned.
Old    swass            04-25-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
Do current members have priority for renewal?
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-25-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
Actually no, that's why we are looking for some new blood on some of these lakes. The only lakes that are advertising openings are the ones I mentioned.
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-25-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
at the lakes that i have belonged to the current members have priority. most of the managers don't like a lot of turn over, so they try to keep the same members if possible.
Old     (gdouble)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-26-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
This might not be the best spot to post this, but I didn't want to start another thread. I'm interested in lakes that are good for wakeboarding, but also allow for property ownership, so you can build/purchase a place right by the lake.

Any info would be great, thanks.
Old    swass            04-26-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
Here's one:

http://www.pelicanshoreslake.com/
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-26-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
My favorite thing about Pelican Lakes.

Personal Watercraft
Personal watercrafts and Jet-Skis are not allowed on Pelican Shores Lake.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-26-2008, 9:44 PM Reply   
Yeah, I saw that on the website, no jet skis allowed!
Old     (gdouble)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-26-2008, 10:03 PM Reply   
Is Pelican Lakes man made?
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-26-2008, 10:49 PM Reply   
The spots have been filled.

As for Pelican, Dale Charles is the developer of Pelican Shores. There are two lakes there, south (Dale and Doug own together)and north Doug owns by himself. We held a contest on the north one last year, and I used the south one a couple of times for personal riding. You have to buy to get on either lake and I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND riding on the lakes first before doing so. There is a reason I don't ride there. Dale won't move the slalom course on the south one, and both lakes are WAY SHORT (2050 feet - which is a deal-breaker for most wakeboarders). The islands on the north one help with the rollers, but the south one gets super messed up after 2 passes. Great lakes if you only water-ski and drop at each end.

Yeah Mike, you are correct - it's pretty common knowledge about Timnath but I wasn't referring to that one.