Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-05-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
Hey guys. I am a low level intermediate rider (360's and close on backrolls) and I considering purchasing an 07 slingshot setup. I currently ride and 07 Shane setup. I am in my mid 30's and mainly looking at slingshot in hopes it will be a bit easier on the old body. I have a partially torn acl(Dr. does not recommend surgery at this point as my knee is stable, where cti2 brace)and a bad ankle. The 07 boots don't scare me as I where a lace up ankle brace on my bad ankle anyway, so I am used to it taking a while getting geared up. I don't have anywhere around me to demo the board but I am very curious about the soft landings and the potential for more pop out of these boards. I am about 5-8 and 170 lbs, what size slingshot should I look at? I have heard you may want to go bigger with these boards but don't know. Also is the boot sizing pretty accurate? I where a 9.5 shoe so I am assuming I should go with the size 10 boot?

I am really hoping to start sticking some inverts this year and improve my riding. Are these boards to far from the traditional wakeboard to let me do that easily? Thanks for any input you can give.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-05-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
i would say it never hurts to try different boards. you can get a great deal on the 07 package if you look around (i think the slingshot site actually) I got the 07 package end of last season and i really enjoy riding it so far (only ridden twice, once cable once boat) Ill be totally honest i havent quite figured out the wake to wake pop yet, but ive been told it takes a couple sets. i can tell you that taking it to the flats and off double ups there is no softer landing board in my opinion! its like a pillow every time. Just carving around and buttering it is blast too! As for the 07 boots, i love them! I use that internal ankle brace and think its a great concept! there is no base plate flex with these boots either. over all i would say definately give it a shot, and a couple sets before you make your decision, like i said i havent figured out wake to wake pop on it yet but im definately stoked on everything about this board!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-05-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
BOARD: SUPER SOFT AND FUN TO RIDE
Just as Kevin Said, The slingshot boards land like a pillow every time, even when taking the board out into the flats. A huge majority of the people who have tried a slingshot board agree that they are by far the softest landing board (as I have seen here on wake world) The first time(s) i rode one i spent the majority of the time airing it out as big and as far as i could. I felt a lot braver due to the dampened impacts.

here's a quote from another thread (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/541513.html?1202227950) that you might feel home with, By Nick (bird_dog0347) on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:55 am:
I have ridden the shane (own one), Watson, natural, byerly, and slingshots (both). I have bad knees as well so I went through this same search last year. NOTHING is even comparable to the softness of a slingshot. Not even close. I still love my Shane, but man, if you have bad knees go with a slingshot. They also have killer pop so long as you edge correctly, but the landings are pillow soft. And with the new 08 boards, you can use any bindings you like. Even if you land hard in the flats, it will feel like going W2W.

It is true that it takes about 3 sets to get used to the board, but the journey getting there is just as fun as when you finally get it. I believe you will learn a lot from the board about your edging techniques. The board rewards you with extra rebounding pop when you cut in and load the flex of the board.

As for larger sizes... I am 6ft. tall and weigh about 165lbs and normally don't ride anything larger than 139cm. (NOTICE THAT I AM AT A BODY SIZE THAT FITS CLOSE TO THE 130's RANGE AND THE LARGER 140's) I was stuck demoing a 142 cm slingshot recoil on my second time demoing and found i liked it better. I felt like i was able to get more air. My personal theory is that the larger board gave more flex to play with and thus more rebound and more air. The boards are so Unbelievably light that i didn't notice the size difference. Normally larger boards feel so bulky. All-in-all, unless you are of a body wt. and size that fits between the two sizes, i might not consider it. for example: i wouldn't suggest a 140 lb 5'5" person to ride a 142

BOOTS:
I'm sure you already recognize that you have no other choice but to use slingshot boots on the '07 model of boards?

I personally think the inner ankle cuff is a great idea too. After getting used to the bindings it doesnt take much longer to put them on really.
I love the 2008 bindings and there is reason to consider upgrading to them besides the removable ankle support thing

#1. Added Poron Footbed (details about it here http://www.rogerscorporation.com/hpf/CT/Poron-F/Footwear%20homepage.htm)
#2. snaps instead of clips to hold the dangling lace portion to the boot. The '07 clipps were not that good
#3. Overall the boot leess bulky and better materials and design

With all this said, I too still thought the '07 boots were AMAZING and some of the best bindings i have ever worn
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-05-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Ohh i just realized i forgot one of your questions... Size Accuracy...

I think the size accuracy is good
similar to your circumstance I wear a 10.5 and i felt like the 10s were much too tight and went for an 11
so in your case, go ahead with the 10
remember also that the liners are heat-moldable and will probably help make up for any differences so to say...... I am actually wearing mine as i type, letting them cool. Instructions say you can do it at home in an oven at 200 degree F for 10-15 min then let cool 15 min on feet in binding shells... i'll let you know how it goes... either way the liners are super comfy i think
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-05-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
Heat Molding--->

not sure how sophisticated my sense of feeling is on my feet, but the boot did seem to fit more "hugging" after the cooling time. I could tell there was slightly better contours by examination with my hand on the interior and by sight. most noticeable by sight was the ball of my ankle making a nice home. I also noticed that the liners puffed a bit and formed four pimples on the bottom of the sole where the screw holes are. I believe there is a bit more customized footbed for me now ;)

anyway... thats my experience on the spot
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-05-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
go for it, you won't be disapointed with what Slingshot has to offer. Expecially if you're main concern is the landings.
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-05-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the input guys. I am very concerned about the landings but like all wakeboarders, the pop is a big concern also. After you ride it a while, does the pop become consistant or is still somewhat inconsistant? Thanks.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-05-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
to quote the rep, "dont give it just one try, give it a couple sets to get use to it." ive only gotten to ride it once behind boat, but the way it rides in every other aspect is amazing so i cant wait to get it down! oh, and i think this board needs a big wake to really perform, the first time i was only riding with 440 pounds of ballast, and yet the pop for the double up was the best ever. people in the boat said i was a good 12 feet up which is really good considering i was only running 440 pounds!
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-05-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
Whitlecj-

The pop does become consistant after you ride the board a few times. I ride the 07 Recoil setup in a 142 and I love it. With my bad knees and back I am no longer afraid to take things out into the flats. I rode an 05 CWB Marius before my Recoil and there is no way that I would ever go back to riding a non-flex board. You will love this board after you get dialed in. At your weight I would feel comfortable going with the 138 or the 142. You will love this board, it brought back the pure joy of wakeboarding for me!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-05-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
it appears to be a common and agreed upon thought around discussions of slingshot that the more consistent and correct your edge technique is, the more consistent and maximized the pop will be.

These boards reward you for good technique, which i dare say is a very very good thing.

As for the boards losing their consistency in of themselves over time or wearing out or something... I personally have yet to hear anything about that. FOR SURE we know they are good for at least a full year to a year and a half, considering that is how long the boards have been out. Considering this, I bet their "consistency" is at least as good as any other board. USA Quality all the way bro!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-05-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
after two rides i can definately say it flexes a bit more, its still stiff though, time will tell how many rides you get till it becomes the infamous "wet noodle" you hear about with snowboards. But for around 400 bucks i think now you can get 07 boots and board, and thats definately not bad for at least one season of riding and most likely much more
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-05-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
You guys are really making want to just say the heck with it and buy one (now maybe an 08). I have always gone with the traditional stuff and that is what is making it difficult to take the leap. I am at the point that inverts are within my reach for this summer (if I can stay healthy all year) and it worries me that switching to a non-traditional board may set me back instead of push me over the top. Man I wish they could get these boards in more shops so I could demo one. What to do...
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-05-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
explain the wet noodle concept. I am totally oblivious.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-05-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
oh yeah and i forgot to say... about the boots, i got the same size that i wear in all my shoes, and when i first put them on, they were WAY to tight! Then i heat molded them in my oven and they stretched and contoured to my foot making them the best boots ive ever worn. nothing is cramped but nothing can move either, not my toes at all, its pretty crazy!
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-05-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
I noticed them being too tight also. I ordered a 1/2 size above my normal shoe size and they seemed to tight. I never heat molded them, I rode on them once and didn't like them, so I sold them.

(Message edited by trickyboarder08 on February 05, 2008)
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-05-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
well occaisionally when you are snowboarding you will see someones board the looks like a snake going over bumps, or a wet noodle. in other words, the core is so worn out that it doesnt snap back to form any more. i remember this cus i had a snowboard instructor 8 years ago show me his board and he explained it, and his board did this because he had ridden it so much. but that was 8 years ago, they might have fixed that problem by now. slingshot uses both foam and wood in their cores
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-05-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
I rode both Slingshots on and off all summer before I pulled the trigger. I ended up with a Recoil & it def put the fun back into riding. I came off of a Natural so it wasn't an easy decision!.............
Old     (cdtex14)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-06-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
I've also wondered about the board loosing flex. I ride an '07 recoil setup and love it.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       02-06-2008, 7:19 AM Reply   
Dri Port in MO now carries them.
they also have a demo program.

Boards rock...bindings rock.
I wouldn't sweat the small stuff regarding 07 vs 08 bindings. ) Unless u are wnting more flex with the PB floyds.

Heck give me a PM if u want a super sick deal on an new 07 setup.
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-06-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses guys I think I am going to go ahead and pick one up. I will post my impressions once I get a few rides on it. I figure I can always ebay it if I hate it and keep riding my Shane.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-06-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
if you hate it and want to sell I'm looking! I have an ibex with Cell's i would trade straight up for
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-06-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
Sounds good Nick. If for some reason I don't like it, I will hit you up.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-06-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
good luck whitlecj
I'm sure you will love it

if you are still adamant about demoing first you can drive an hour away and pick one up then thumb a ride from someone else. Thats what i did :-)
... that is probably one reason the store closest to me was so nice. Every time i took it out it was getting ridden by at least one new person every time ;). I became like a rep getting paid with slingshot demo time
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-06-2008, 11:56 AM Reply   
i'll be looking forward to your "impressions" as well.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-06-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
let me know. I'm posting up some pics of the Ibex in the classifieds
thanks
nick 715-213-4240
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-06-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
I wish I had a store but within an hour. Nearest store is at least 2.5 hours away. None in my state at all. I am looking forward to riding it though. I will probably be next weekend before I can as the weather isn't supposed to be great hear this weekend.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-06-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
here is the ibex if you go that route.
Upload
Upload
Old     (mattfla)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
i have been riding for years and found the slingshot to be the least responsive and hardest landing board. when it lands it flexes too much and feels like it stops. if you want a softer landing go with a more subtle
e continuous rocker board. also the slingshot has a very flat bottom. concaves help disburse the water and provide a softer landing