Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-28-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
It's another WakeWorld interview done by you, the reader. What kinds of questions would you like us to ask Keith Lyman?
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-28-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
There is a lot of emphasis on going big in wakeboarding. Keith has a well deserved rep as someone who does that with great skill. I would be interested in a discussion on that topic, especially as it relates to learning and teaching how to get more pop. The instruction always given in this area often doesn't match a close examination of video of actual riding.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-28-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
A lot of "go big" riders are having knee injuries lately, like yourself. What are you doing to prevent injury and stay healthy for the next riding season?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-28-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
Keith,

When are we going to get to see some more footage of you Gapping to that rail like you were doing in Push Process. Rumors are flying around that you are working on something bigger and better that the first gap! That was Epic, a crazy way to push the sport, I know us Wakeworlders would love to see some more of that! Keep it up Bro you shred! Later Nintzel
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-28-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
Keith,

This year you took a trip back to Massachusetts. How did it feel to get back to where it all started for you? Also, do you think you would do this more often to help promote the sport in the area?
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-28-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
I know you love the US military and your 2009 board has military influenced graphics. It is great you support the troops, could you ever see yourself serving in the armed forces after wakeboarding?
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-28-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
As a standard question I think rope length, speed, ballast, and who he likes to ride with.

It's amazing hearing how fast these guys ride and how smooth they are.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-28-2008, 2:07 PM Reply   
Keith where did you find the BALLS to hit that wake to rail gap? Where did you come up with the idea and as Andy stated what's next?
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-28-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
Keith

Why are you so amazing?

-Nick
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-28-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
Keith you do a lot of great tricks, but not many heelside raley based tricks?any reason as to why not?
Old     (trippin132)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-28-2008, 3:41 PM Reply   
wondering how your riding style affects you learning new tricks? you ride faster and further back than most which means you float a lot more of your tricks out into the flats.
so how do you approach learning anything new and more technical? do you charge at front the start and aim to not only land it but make it big, or do you start off getting the
trick dialed before taking it bigger and better...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-28-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
Do you get to ride with Randall much? DO you feel you have the same approach to wakeboarding & style?

(Message edited by Ralph on October 28, 2008)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-28-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
When Dave first posted this thread I typed in a question and the way it came out it sounded negiateve so I just canned it. After reading J-rod's post I guess it's ok to ask my orignal question and keep it real. My qorignal question went like this "How long till you blow your knees out and have to walk with a cane" and yea that sounds crappy so thats not my question. Your know'n for going huge and landing in the flat's (Like Harris) and that type of riding I would think a human can only do for so long? I saw your work out's and you train to stay healthy so you have that going for you and I would never wish or want anyone to get hurt doing what they love doing.
I guess my question would be somthing like this.
Do you ever feel that in wakeboarding you are a disposable comodity? If you couldn't go huge because of a injury would people in Wakeboarding just forget about you? I guess the same is true in any sport not just wakeboarding. If you cant perform there is another younger person behind you to take your place at the front of the line. So a more positive question would be. How do you feel you can keep pushing the limit's stay at the top of the game and still stay healthy.

"Respect"
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-28-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
Keith, what hair product do you use to make your hair so spikey?
Old    alanp            10-28-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
brett you stole my friggin question!!
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-28-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
Can you explain your workouts. Do you have a trainer, are the exercises based off of physical therapy techniques, and have you had any major knee injuries? If so, what type of injury and can you describe how it affects your riding both mentally and physically?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-28-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
Where does Emma chill out in the boat and why doesn't she wear a life vest? What kind of tricks has she mastered in your arms behind the boat?
Old    wiz            10-28-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
keith,

do u prefer cheetohs or doritos?
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-28-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Since you do not have a boat sponsor right now, you can answer this question honestly. What is your favorite wake to ride behind?
Old     (vlxwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-28-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
I like John Rupert's question. You hear from all the pros that have boat sponsors that their favorite boat is of course the one that pays them to ride it. I would really like for keith to tell us which one is his favorite. I know he owned Gerry Nunn's Malibu LSV. I have also seen from pics that Keith literally stacks fat sacs on top of each other. So what weight does he truly use in his boat.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-28-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
Keith, is it true that you break a board about every 4 rides?
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-29-2008, 2:53 AM Reply   
How long did you ride before you started competing and at what point did you realize you could make a living at it?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-29-2008, 4:00 AM Reply   
Yeah I want to know about the hair products as well please.
Old     (calummoore)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-29-2008, 4:37 AM Reply   
gosh darn everyone stole my question haha. Something along the lines of.

One thing that is noticeable is that you constantly change your hairstyle. how do you always maintain perfect structure and do adjustments ever affect your riding?
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2008, 6:29 AM Reply   
Keith, is it true that you eat five bowls of cereal before riding every morning? Also if you have any other secrets that could make us ride like you, please share.

toby
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
I just remembered another rumor that I've heard.

Is it true that you went riding with Parks the first time you ever attempted wakeboarding and landed a 3 and a backroll on the first day? Siiiick if that a legit story.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-29-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
Keith,

If you found out you had only 1 more opportunity to take a set on a wakeboard (for whatever reason...hypothesize with me here), what would be your ideal scenario, including:

Time of day to ride:
Location of said riding:
Driver of boat:
Passengers in boat:
Boat: brand, ballast, etc
Setup: rocker, board length, rope length, no knee brace, etc
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       10-29-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
Keith,

You’re in a sport where image and style are a major factor in success. You have made it into an elite class of "GO BIG" riders (Harris, Nunn, D Smith, and Shapiro). With doing that do you feel any intimidation being compared to the other riders? How does your style set you apart?
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-29-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
Keith,

What influences your graphic ideas for your board line? Please take us through the process from gathering ideas to the final selection. Music? Military? Colors? etc...
Old     (the_bum)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-29-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
Keith,
There were some crazy hammers thrown down this season, have you ever tried any 1080s? if so how did that go for you? What are your predictions for crazy new tricks to come down for next year?
Old     (dblockklsoldiers)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-29-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
Keith,

You inspire me.. Yes why are you so amazing?

-Weisenberg
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-29-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
"why dont you have a boat sponsor?"
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-29-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Your riding is all about going big and grabbing a trick. When learning a new trick do you incorporate the grab immediately as your learning the trick or do you learn the trick grabless to begin with?
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       10-29-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Keith: I swear it looks like you sometimes just decide to add an extra grab or 180 while you're up there and still manage to pull it off smooth and stick the landing. How much do you ad lib in the air?

Oh, and can I borrow your skills? Just for next summer?
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
how many pairs of oakleys do you have?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-29-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
Where do you see your wakeboarding headed? Are there any tricks your working on adding to you high amplitude trick bag?