Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (meikster2810)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-05-2006, 3:09 AM Reply   
I have a son who is kind of advanced crawling at 5 months walking at 7 months.he loves the water and have had him in the river (lifejacket) fitted.What sort of age do u think is good to get him on a board?
I though about gluing some shoes between my bindings on a big old board?
Would love to get some solid advice on this.
cheers
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-05-2006, 7:12 AM Reply   
My son started a few months after he turned 5. If he can swim and is comfortable on the water then he is ready. Its not hard to get them up, in fact it takes very little effort for them. One of the biggest problems is that he needs to be able to turn over if he falls forward. If not, it can be a scary experience. Take it slow and dont rush it.

If all you want to do is have him ride between your legs, as soon as he is able to walk on his own, he should be ready.

(Message edited by byrd on October 05, 2006)
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-05-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
Here is a pic...

Upload
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
Lake Winterset kids rule!!!Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-05-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Craig, bring him to Cali next summer. We'll have him up in no-time.

BTW, How's things? You guys get your lake house finished, yet? We want to know when to plan a trip to New Zealand.

Cheers
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-05-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
I had my daughter up on the wakesurfer with me when she had just turned 3. Just have a good life jacket on the child (and yourself) and go real slow to start. I would not suggest gluing shoes to the board unless they are oversized...you don't want anything holding them to the board. I've taken many kids on the wakesurfer with me and I think it's the best way to get them used to the water...very forgiving and easy to get up and no bindings to worry about.
Old     (bradstang)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-05-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
Just get them setup on the beach, wrap the rope around your arm and they are wakeboarding. If they get totally comforatable on the beach then move them to the boat. I did that with my daughter and it worked great. Only problem is when the start on the beach the boat might get tired, heh heh.
Old     (meikster2810)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-05-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
hahaha brad yeah could work a little extra off though haha.
Hay evan well mate will take u up on that bro.All is good in japan they have the all japan amateur finals this weekend should rock,my helper on the boat is competing if he finishes in top 5 becomes pro at age 11.
Mate the kids these days are ripping.
How are all the lads there? and how long does it take to construct a web page?????? cie hahaha
Old    jayforce            10-06-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of me and my 2 1/2 year old son riding. We have always asked him if he wanted to ride, but until this day he had answered "NO". I just layed him on my chest and put his arms over mine. I stayed tucked when we got up and let him stand on the board and hold the handle. It tokk a couple of minutes before he would let me stand up. But now he is jumping up and down on the board, hanging a foot in the water , and trying handle passes like he is on the dock. A good life jacket, and them being comfortable in the water is key. We have some friend that pushs there kid to do this, and he screams the hole time, no one has fun.Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
LOL, It takes a long time to build a web page when you spend your life on the water instead of being productive.

11 huh... Man, that's crazy. I'd love to see some vids of the guys over there killing it. I know the japanese snowboarders are ripping these days too.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-06-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
I assume that for little kids is different, but I did that whole stand on the middle of the board thing (like Jay's pic) with my boyfriend and it was scary!!!!!! well the prob was that I was really uncomfortable too... I was showing my little brother (5) how he could get up if he wanted to and tried to keep a smile on my face, but I was scared!
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-19-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
Did the whole stand up on the board thing with dad from the time he was 2 and now he is on his way to riding by himself.
Upload
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-19-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
My nephew was riding solo just a few months after he turned 3, he is now almost six and is starting to progress and gain more confidence. His sister is 3.5 and rides standing with her mom on the board. Both children are excellent swimmers and have been around the water since birth.
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-19-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
Craig, just make sure that his feet come out of the shoes easily in case he falls forward that the board doesn't cause him to keep his face under water. Yeh, is your house done yet. My wife and want to take a trip to New Zealand. Give us a call when your in Orlando again, are you still coming next month?
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-19-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
Jacob rode in the Phoenix Pro Am when he was a little over 4 years old. The announcers of the event were from R and R in Hawaii. They told the crowd that Jacob was the future of the sport. The promoter had him sign a t shirt that all the pros had signed. He didn't even know how to spell Valdez so he just signed Jacob V. Ah good times, good times.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-19-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
So are all people from Hawaii prophets? They called that one.

Jay, for having only one post, you sure made it a good one!
Old    gotwake123            10-19-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
parks bonifay started sking when he was 14 monthsand holds a world record for it too
Old    ace5693            10-19-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
to stephen thats not true any more in waterski magizine there was a kid skiing at 6 months
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-19-2006, 3:51 PM Reply   
well my cousin's ex girlfriend rode when he was 3 months...
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-19-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Your cousins ex girlfriend is a guy? Is that like being married to your sister?
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-19-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
When they are ready, they'll let you know. Asking a few times may help the shy. Make sure they are comfortable in the water. What ever you do, do not force them in to it, or trick them with bribery of a nija turtle popsicle, or they'll never want to water ski again. Oh what? little off track there *twitch*
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-19-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
Let em play around with the gear, try the between the legs thing if they are brave. Never force them, a gentle poke in the right direction, but never force them. It should always be happy and fun, especially for the little ones.

You will hit that nice warm day with warm water and they will start the long process of circle backs, failed starts, thrown handles, and getting worked here and there. Then suddenly they will get it and never ever look back. They will go from assisted starts to their own deepwater starts inside of a day. Just do everything more carefully and alot slower than with adults and your riding buddies.

Make it fun and keep it fun.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-19-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
to calder billhardt, the fact that they called young Jacob Valdez the future of wakeboarding is what was prophetic. Jacob is the Boys World Champion and is an incredibly talented wakeboarder.