Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-22-2009, 9:20 PM Reply   
Im trying to save money and I always have my local boat shop winterize and get it ready for spring. My question is how easy is it to do it myself? Can I just hook up the battery and start it up and let the anti freeze run itself out of the boat? Any help/tips would be great since it will save me like $150.00
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-22-2009, 9:51 PM Reply   
Yeah make sure all the plugs are in, the heater hoses are hooked up and the battery is charged. If they changed all the fluids (check this)you should be good to go. They may have run anti freeze through the ballast as well which you can just run out. Hopefully they use the pink environmentally friendly stuff otherwise you'll need to dispose of it. If they fog your cylinders there may be some white smoke at first when you run it. I can't believe they charge $150 for that.
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-23-2009, 5:29 AM Reply   
Sweet! Thanks. I had the oil changed before I put it away for the winter. Any other tips or things I should worry about before dumping it in the water?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-23-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   
Um..... you missed spring.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-23-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
Check drain plugs, check all fluids, check that hoses are connected. Keep an eye on the bilge the first few minutes if you're not sure where all the plugs are.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-23-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
I addition to above, just give it a good visual and cleaning and keep an eye out for any dead or alive critters. I always run through all the electronics before I get to the ramp and turn it over for just a second to make sure she will fire. Better to work out the bugs on the driveway instead of at the boat ramp, even better to hook up fake a lake to keep your impeller in fluids if you fire it up on the driveway.

If it is due, you can swap out spark plugs AFTER you have burned through the fog oil.
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-23-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! The reason Im just pulling it out now is because I have it up for sale and I wanted to keep it safe and not put any hours on it. Ive got a few people looking at it today and tomorrow. I had a full service and check up done on it before I put it away for the winter so it should be good to go! 2006 Supra 20SSV 300hrs $31,500.00 Hope it goes away soon! Im buying another one next year for sure!