Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (crazy4two)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-16-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
I am looking to buy a personal watercraft just to goof around on. I am looking at the Yamaha VX line and also the Seadoo GTI SE. Which one should I buy?
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-16-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
Yamaha is the #1 Pwc for rentals...because they are so reliable. I just got a 07 Yamaha FX Cruiser high output. We never had a PWC before. My buddy got the new boat so we added this to the fleet, we kick around on it when we are done boarding. I always thought Jet skiers were jerks. Now I are one.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-16-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
Many jet skiers are jerks, which is why when we rent them, if we want to hit some wakes we'll hit our own boats wake when there's no boarder in tow. Unlike the other million who are out there to hit anyone and everyones wake regardless of if there's a rider in tow or not.
That said everything yamaha makes is pretty good quality.
Old    stillstandin            07-16-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
I have been riding stand up jet skis for many years. Its still my first love on the water. So far the advice is right. Yamaha is the way to go for reliabilty.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-16-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
Got 3 Yamahas, no issues. Yamaha
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
I would rather chew glass than buy a PWC.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-16-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
thats wierd...
Old    stillstandin            07-16-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
My version of PWC's..not me, but this is why I like stand ups..Upload
Upload

sorry for the temp highjack
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-16-2007, 11:42 PM Reply   
PWC's are cool
I agree, some (not all) PWC owners are jerks. Just like some boat/car owners are jerks.
Scott...Kawasaki make a good ski, check out the STX12F or STX15F.
SCA...That 1st pic is killer!
Shane..What flavour glass do you like
Me
Upload

My fav rider..Chris the "Mac" MacCluggage

Upload
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-17-2007, 3:32 AM Reply   
With all the PWC haters on here I'm suprised to see so many admitting to having one and enjoying them.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
I personally like PWCs but not as a full time gig.. My friend that comes out to the lake with us alot has one and its nice to switch it up a bit when your just chillen or hanging out. For me, its only fun for about 1/2 hour then I want to be back on my boat. They are fun though!
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-17-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
We have a sea doo RX and two 750 SXI Kawasaki Standups. I love the standups. They actually take skill to ride. The others are nothing but water couches. I also agree with Isaac, "its only fun for about 1/2 hour".

Just on a personal note anyone that tears up beautiful glass on any pwc should be shot. PWC's should only be allowed once the water has been torn up.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-17-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
Admit it, PWCs are somewhat of a guilty pleasure...
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
I used to own two Kaw 550's prior to getting into this sport. I had one that custom ski, and a stock ski for anyone that came along. Anybody that has ridden a standup knows, the sport takes as much skill, and a heck of a lot more strength / endurance than wakeboarding to be good on one. My biggest problem was finding people to ride with.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-17-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
I'm not a professional wakeboarder so I figure theres a time for wakeboarding, a time for PWC, a time for tubing or whatever. I don't have any hang ups over any water sport as long as the people on the water are respectful of others. I do love to wakeboard but I figure if you get up earlier than me an get the cove I wanted to use then its yours to use as long as you aren't tearing the lake apart. I take the family out for about 7 hours each day when we go and it's great to be able to do different things on the water so everybody can get their fix.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-17-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
Ron- Just most of us aren't apparently "CORE" as many like to say.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-17-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
Get a SeaDoo RXP. Those things are a rush to ride.
Old    stillstandin            07-17-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
In the PWC world...you will hear SeaDoo's refered to as RE-Doos. Kind of a Ford-Chevy argument. But Ive been around skis for 20 years. I personally would stay away from SeaDoo
Old     (calaman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2007, 8:05 PM Reply   
I've been boating since I was pooping my pants, my wife on the other hand wasn't much a fish. In 1996 we bought a yamaha waverventure 1100, so we could board/shi behind it. I used it as my ploy to get her on the water. It took 1 year before she said, let's get a boat instead. 2 boats later, I couldn't be happier about our purchase of getting a jet ski, it got the family into the 21v we are sporting now. Do the yamaha and you'll be happy. oh, 240 hours and no issues. Have fun and stay out my lane ;-)
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-17-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
My dad had a Polaris 3-seater and I had a Kawi 550 stand-up before we bought the boat. I loved to ride the stand-ups, but was bitten by the wakeboarding bug and haven't been on one in probably 3 years. I used to know a guy who modified his ski boat trailer to fit a stand-up as well. Someday I wouldn't mind getting another stand-up ski, but just for those days when the water sucks and I can't find a 3rd.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-18-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
Roddyrod,
I recently had my SeaDoo in for a bit of service and I was talking to the service manager about the Supercharged SeaDoos. He told me that they were good machines but they have been having a huge problem with the Superchargers. He said that if you peg the throttle while in the air off a jump when you hit back down it jars something lose (I'm not a mechanic and don't remember the specifics) but basicall it screws the supercharger. Eventhough I own a SeaDoo right now I don't think I would buy one of the newer supercharged ones. Just my two cents.

However, you are right they are a blast to ride