Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-24-2012, 6:42 AM Reply   
Ok I know everyone has an opinion which is best but I figured I would post anyway. I sold our I/O last month. We had a 23 foot Sea Ray(see attached). Now it is time to buy a v-drive. we need a 23 footer. I was looking at a 2006 X45 for 46k. I also found a 2006 237lsv for 52. Both were in below average condition.They both had less than 150 hours on them. I keep my stuff in excellent shape. Our 2006 looked like it came off the showroom floor when we sold her. So i figured I would look to buy new at the boat show in Sacramento CA in January. I have always like the MB b52 wb. So I am leaning that way. What about the Tige's ? I would love to buy a new 237lsv but I do not want to pay that much. Any Ideas. We mostly wakeboard but getting a v drive will allow us to surf, that is a plus. I have one guy in our regular crew that skies.
Thanks for any input good or bad
Don C.
Attached Images

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-24-2012, 6:56 AM Reply   
If you like the MB, then I would seriously consider that boat. The wake is phenomenal with only factory ballast full! Honestly it was scary big, and I have ridened behind several slammed Xstars. The surf wake is huge as well. However, I would not want to even consider sking behind the B52. That wake is still big at 30 mph and is not condusive to skiing at all. You just need to get your buddy off the skis and onto a board.

The other boats you are looking at are 7 years old. For another 10 grand you can have a brand new MB. Its a tough call but for the money, the MB is hard to beat.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-24-2012, 8:10 AM Reply   
Hey Don. We see you guys out all the time. You guys are Delta die hards!

We just helped some friends get into a demo Malibu MXZ for a great price. PM me. Let me know what your range is and what you like. I can make a call to Boat Country for you and see what they have.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-24-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
Where are you in Cali?? I might just know of an 08 Malibu 23 LSV with only 100 hours and super clean that could be had for 50K... screaming deal
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       10-24-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
I think your skier friend is out of luck. No 23' Vdrive is going to be very friendly to him.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-24-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
Hmmm you could probably get an epic 23 v brand new for around 60 from what I understand
Same with a twb? That's where I would look first

For 50 k ish you could probably get like 07/08 rz4 if you find the right deal
The lsv is proven but more money
Good luck!
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-24-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
I say if your looking for your best bang for your buck....go with a MB...i would rather pay about 5-6K more for a new boat than for one thats 6-7 years old
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-24-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
I pulled a skier behind our 23' MB this summer and would confirm that the wake is pretty terrible for skiing.

If skiing is a real factor, the 23' malibus can be had with a diamond hull.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-24-2012, 9:37 AM Reply   
Like others have mentioned I would look for a MB 23 TWB. There is no way I would pick a 5+ year old abused boat over a new or year or 2 old MB even if the MB is 10K more. The 23 MB will have as much interior room if not more than the X45 or the 23LSV. The X45 has a lot more in the bow though. The MB will throw a better surf and wakeboard wake stock than the X45 with moderate additional ballast. The MB wil throw a better stock surf wake than the Malibu and will throw a comparable wakeboard wake to the Malibu 23lsv. The MB will have the most freeboard and a better rough water ride than either of those other boats. Also, the MB may never need additional ballast to it's under the floor ballast unless your really get into surfing. The X45 will for both surfing and wakeboarding. The Malibu will need extra to even start a surf wake. I really can't see how any sane person would pick a 5 year old big 3 boat over a brand new MB for similar prices. It doesnt' make sense.

Oh, your buddy that ski's might want to pick something different but if he is used to skiing behind your 23' searay I can't imagine it is that much worse. I recently had a friend who's family replaced a 19 or 20' I/O that they skied a lot behind with an MB 21 tomcat. They don't even attempt skiing anymore it sounds like. The MB is a horrible, horrible ski boat. IT is above average at everything else.

Last edited by polarbill; 10-24-2012 at 9:40 AM.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-24-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
Sorry for the confusion. I put in my original post 23lsv. I meant 247 lsv. We went and looked at a used 23lsv and decided it was too small for us. Yes C.I.E. J-Rod we are out on the Delta a lot. We are at orwood. I still have my unit there just waiting for a boat. I actually rode on Sunday out of Whiskey Slough. I have a friend that has a Axis A20(all white) we ride with.
Thanks Diggs(pdxwake) the 23lsv is to small for us. I appreciate although.
We kinda figured spending around 45 for a used boat. Then we started talking why not just buy new. Probably a better loan rate on new and a longer term. I used some of the cash from our boat and paid off all of my debt. Now i am going to put together around 10-15k cash for a down. So we figured the Boat show was about the right time to buy.With no debt and putting down 10-15 cash. I figure no problem with a 70-75k loan. Payments would be a breeze.
Thanks everyone i really appreciate the input.
Don C.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-24-2012, 5:15 PM Reply   
f24 brand new then, absolutely hands down
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-24-2012, 5:26 PM Reply   
For the money tough to beat the F24!! Check out the Tige's to. RZ4 is a large boat.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-24-2012, 7:15 PM Reply   
probably get into a new centurion enzo 244 for that price, They are huge on the inside
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-24-2012, 9:08 PM Reply   
I have a Sanger 237 with trim tabs. Push them down and you get a decent ski wake. I would look at that boat and you can get one a couple years old for 50k. Good luck. One year ago I sold my Sea Ray and spent all winter Boat hunting. What a blast.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-25-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
If I was you I would buy now. You will likely get better than boat show prices and interest rates wont get any better. Get some quotes, you might be suprised. Then you'll be able to do any upgrades you want over the winter while you wait for the best summer of your life!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-25-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
Adam is right.... buy between now and the boat show.... You have dealers and sellers full undivided attention now. Come boat show they have lots of prospects to fill them through the summer. If you have to pay for storage or don't have the down payment together, it might be a different story, but some simple math should help you determine that.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-25-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
A 23 LSV is too small? I've never heard that before.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-25-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
A 23 LSV is too small? I've never heard that before.
That seemed strange to me as well. Even most 21' vdrive boats are gonna be roomer than that 23' searay he is coming from.
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-25-2012, 9:24 PM Reply   
I agree. Fought my wife all winter for a new boat and she did not say yes until April 1st whe the sun came out. Had the new boat in a week but cost me a few extra bucks 5k because I waited.