Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-29-2010, 6:37 AM Reply   
http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=12724224

This is very sad, and will likely have repercussion on wakeboarders and their boats throughout the rest of the year on Lake Monroe. They seem to be doing all they can to mention wakeboarder and them being 19yr olds. The crazy weekend seems to already have started.
Old     (MCFD713)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-29-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
I was about to post this as well yeah were gonna be the bad guys all weekend and prolly the rest of the summer and they have not said exactly what happen and who was at fault if not both. Well drivers Look ahead thats why we have spotters to watch for whipeouts and cameras to replay the run. Be safe
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-29-2010, 7:25 AM Reply   
I think there is more to the story about the larger boat. From the video both sides are damaged and they ran from the scene. Most of us here if not all would have never left the scene or not followed the other boat to shore.
Very sad for 2 lives to have been taken. Everyone please be safe this Holiday Weekend.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-29-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
Agree to an extent, but must say that boat is dinged up in general, there's no telling what was from the accident and what was from docking, mooring, etc. Also have no idea about the details, but both boats were able to drive to shore, so the collision wasn't that damaging. I think the news is making it sound like flee the scene, they could have just gone in and not been exactly where the other boat was, possibly to go in and get help. Point being, everyone is already throwing it all at them, and it may be granted, but being on this lake nearly every day, the many fishermen think they are invincible and that everyone will yield to them.

I actually offered to do driving clinics for riders/skiers this year because of the crazy driving I witness all the time. It was not welcomed.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-29-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
dang that sucks!
Old     (stroh3)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-29-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
Hey guys. Been awhile since I've been around the board. Just ask for prayers and good vibes sent to all involved. This was my wife's aunt. The little boys had already been through a ton.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-29-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
if the teens were towing a rider they had the right of way, and a head on collision was the responsibility of the fishing boat to avoid. rapid maneuvers can't be done when towing a rider without risking their safety, especially if they are not good riders. Plus speed was not a factor if they were towing a rider, since they wouldn't be doing faster than 25 mph...

it's an unfortunate accident, and in no way am I trying to be cold to the people that lost their lives, because it was through no fault of their own, but them (especially the people in the comments section of the article) trying to blame this solely on the boarders is ludicrous.

Last edited by wakeboardern1; 06-29-2010 at 8:34 AM. Reason: added more to it
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-29-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
Sorry Brandon, I hope they can make it through these times as best as possible. Thoughts and prayers to all involved
Old     (stroh3)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-29-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Thanks man. Not looking to throw fault at anyone. Just a tragedy and hoping that anyone trying to speculate will wait until the reports are officially released.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-29-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
I understand and agree, and hope it is not seen/read that I am doing that such thing.

My worry is the reaction DNR, local boaters, and everyone will have. It can already be seen on the comment sections of the news articles, people bashing wakeboats saying they're too fast, too loud, and reckless, meanwhile this lake has Scarabs speeding back and forth and 40+ft yachts swamping actual wake boats. People have also already brought up a counterclockwise direction rule, which will virtually ruin any chance at good water. I hope they can release as much detail as possible to calm these reactions. Again, I'm sorry for your family and these loved ones above all.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-29-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
Updated article, it says the speedboat went to the marina for fear of sinking and to call 911
http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...woman-grandson
Old     (stroh3)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-29-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
No not at all man. My comment about speculation is exaclty what you said. .. The people on newspaper blogs. I agree 100% The lake is meant for all to enjoy. I hate seeing the negative reactions to wakeboarders as well.
Old     (bennn)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-29-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
A tragedy for all involved... its a shame that the focus seems to have totally shifted to who was at fault
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-29-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Many years ago I came upon a boat accident just moments after it happened. Both boats approached a corner with cattails blinding the view. One boat rode over the other. I toed the boat with the injuries to shore but the other boat had a crack in the hull and had to go to the boat ramp.

So the fear of sinking is a possibility and if like my situation there were other boats to help I could see this happening.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-29-2010, 9:00 PM Reply   
As stated, this is a terrible accident and thoughts and prayers go out to the families and their losses. It will put a black eye on the wakeboarding community as the IN DNR hates wakeboarding/ers. I know this from personal experience as last year we fought the DNR Commission to keep one of the feeder creeks to the Ohio river a non-idle zone. We had hundreds of signatures ect.. on petitions and the "commission" still voted to make it idle zone and they just don't respect the public's use of the waterways especially if you have a wake boat, you get harrassed by the officers and they will ticket you for anything they can. ( Note, I am 45yr old and we boat responsibly and have never been ticketed as we run a tight ship, but seen plenty of it and they check us everytime they can) Not all the officers are jerks, as one of them helped us out and we have since become friends but even he said the DNR does not like the W Board boats and blame all kinds of crap on us from erosion ect... and it's rediculous. I just hope this does not unleash another round of the DNR harrassment and more regulations of where we can enjoy our sport.

Last edited by silverlude; 06-29-2010 at 9:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-30-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
you got that from the parades last week didnt you...