Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-30-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
hey yall! first off let me tell everyone i know almost nothing about amps. if some one could perhaps explain the basics of them (watts, mono,2 way, multi, bridged, etc) i would be gratefull. now i just bought a pair of rockford fosgate p3 10in subs and was wondering what yall might suggest for a good amp. i dont know if they will go in my truck or my malibu just yet. again i know nothing on amps so please any info would be great. and please explain why you would choose that specific amp. thanks again!!!
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       01-30-2008, 10:58 PM Reply   
hey, good choice on the subs, i had a p3 in my old mustang and it hit hard.

first off, are the subs 4 ohm or 2 ohm?

and what is the RMS power rating on them? i can't remember
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-31-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
4 ohms

Continuous Power Handling 250W

Peak Power Handling 500W

again i dont know what this means... help
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       02-02-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
ok, so since the subs are 4 ohms you should run the two subs in series, therefore putting a 2 ohm load on an amp which will put good wattage to your subs.

i would get a rockford p500, that puts 250 watts rms to each subwoofer when they are wired in series, (im pretty sure its series)

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=2&series_id=6&family_id =20&item_id=108229&locale=en_US&p_status=

this website will educate you on everything you need to know.

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/car_audio_amplifiers/car_audio_amplifiers.htm
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-03-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
thanks so much! big time help! if u ever come down to h-town give me a holla and i give u a pull!
Old     (adamo)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-04-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
what about an amp for a 12" AUDIOBAHN flame q series sub...

1100rms
Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coil
2 Ohm or 8 Ohm Operation

not really what amp, but what ratings should i look at.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-05-2008, 10:28 PM Reply   
I had a big disappointment today...I bought an Eclipse XA1000 Mono amp and a Eclipse SW7200(12") sub. the sub is very nice but I have to tell ya, I have owned a Rockford Fosgate Punch 40iDSM(yes-OLD SCHOOL), and a Rockford Fosgate Punch 12"(4ohm) for well over 10+ years and to this day it still kicks ass pushing 80-160ish RMS. Well to my disappointment, this new equipment sounds like Shiat! this amp is supposed to be pushing over 600RMS. the sub is a 4ohm with the series jumpers to make it 2ohm, and my old school stuff works a lot better. I hate sayin that I paid almost 600bucks for these and I will be taking them back tomorrow. hope they give money back or get a better amp...any suggestions? I am going to build a custom box in the center console of a 94 full size chev truck. anyways, whatch ya'll think? thanks.
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-17-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
Hayden,
Taylor is confused. Running two 4 ohm subs in series will give you 8 ohms. This is not good for your amps. You want to run them in parallel. This means, connect the two positive terminals to the same wire from the amp, and the two negative terminals to the other. This will provide a 2 ohm load for your amps, and you will get a lot more power to them.
Check out this site for more answers.
www.bcae1.com
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       02-17-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
darin, doh! thanks for the correction