Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (extremewake)      Join Date: May 2011       02-07-2012, 6:50 PM Reply   
I'm looking to get a Malibu soon (so if you have one for sale let me know), but I've done a little digging and was wondering the differences between the 21' vlx and the 21' v-ride; with the exception of the amenities. All I could find was info on the 2012's and they (v-ride) are basically the same hull as the vlx with the exception of the beam. The v-ride was 98" compared to 100" for the vlx. I know the "bells and whistles" come with the vlx, which are nice, but all I'm wanting is the Malibu wake! If both models put out the same wake, I'll know the v-ride is an option. My price range will get me a 2005-07 year model. So I'm wondering if the differences are the same then, as they are now. Anyone have any information to share?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-07-2012, 7:07 PM Reply   
Gotta pick exact boats. The hulls for the Wakesetter and V-Ride both changes. Essentially what happens is when they change/upgrade the Wakesetter, the old hull becomes the V-Ride. So you'd have to pick some exact years to see which hull each one has.

Every V-Ride is SOME version of the Wakesetter hull - it might be a "previous generation" hull if you're comparing an 07' V-Ride to an 07 Wakesetter etc. Gotta find specific boats but either way - you'll be getting the classic Malibu wake.. Can't go wrong with either. If you don't need the "bling" and high end options - V- Ride is a dope choice.
Old     (extremewake)      Join Date: May 2011       02-07-2012, 7:14 PM Reply   
That's what I was thinking. I figured it was like what mastercraft was doing with the x-star and the x-2. I wanted to make sure before dropping that much dough. Thank you!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-07-2012, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewake View Post
That's what I was thinking. I figured it was like what mastercraft was doing with the x-star and the x-2. I wanted to make sure before dropping that much dough. Thank you!
Mastercraft did this with the X-Star, then the X2 and then eventually the X2 was a new hull of it's own and the X1 was the old Star.

Either way - a V-Ride is always a Wakesetter hull, just typically the previous generation hull (comparing year to year)..

But you could "win" if you compared say a 04' Wakesetter and an 07' V-Ride where you might get a newer hull on the V-Ride than the Wakesetter for the same price. I know someone knows the years the Bu hulls all changed and when each boat got what - but the end result is that the Ride will always be a stripped down version of the previous Setter.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            02-07-2012, 7:37 PM Reply   
I had an '05 vride, which is essentially the previous model wakesetter hull. We had pp, triple ballast, upgraded guages/wheel/throttle, manual wedge, titanIII tower, tandem trailer 185 hrs sold for 29k last spring.

So yeah...the '05-? Has the same hull has previous wakesetters. What is your exact range of price and maybe we can help you out.

Also...if you havent already...join, wwww.themalibucrew.com.

Theyll be able to answer alot more info for ya and theyre all great guys!! Good choice with a boat, you'll love it.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-07-2012, 7:47 PM Reply   
VLX 09-12 new hull
VLX 05-08 = 09-12 Vride 21
<05 VLX = 05-08 Vride21

Hopefully you can pick up an 05-08 VLX or 09 or newer Vride21. Great hull, great wake. good times.

*I may be mistaken, so don't hold me to these numbers.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-07-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
if you join malibucrew... they have a breakdown of what hull each model has in the "resource" section. You won't be disappointed with either.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-07-2012, 8:04 PM Reply   
In addition the 04-07 Wakesetter LSV 23=2009-current Ride 23

I actually just helped my buddy buy a 2009 Ride 23. My buddy chose it over an 08 23LSV although the 08 had more hours. The boat doesn't have completely unneeded LCD screens, old school rocker switches, all while keeping Malibu quality throughout.

Keep in mind if you get a Ride series 2009 or newer they wont have the bow ballast so you will want to plumb in an integrated bow sack, get some lead to throw in the bow or a sack to throw in the bow when using the wedge.

Look at onlyinboards and search 2009 to current Malibu Ride. There are some really nice ones.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-07-2012, 9:41 PM Reply   
The interior room of the 07 Vride is smaller than the VLX.