Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-17-2007, 4:20 PM Reply   
need help deciding between the quicksilver ingnite 3/2 or 4/3, or the ripcurl core fireskin 4/3 fullsuit. Any input would be appreciated.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-17-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
How cold is the water where you'll be using it?
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-17-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
probably between 50-65 in the winter.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-17-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
i'd say the 3/2... i'd get a ripcurl, i don't even notice them when i'm wearing them! same with my neighbors! good quality

i'd say 3/2... i hear 4/3 can get to be too hot actually, but i'm not sure... thats just what i've heard... sorry
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-17-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
... the water is between 50 and 65...you def. want the 3/4 ....these are usually called steamers and can almost be semidry and let little water in. Most important make sure it fits very snug...it has to sit snug to the skin to work...no sloppy spots where water could pocket. In 50-60 you will freeze your but off in a 3/2.....also myou want the warmth when out of the water as the wind chill wiil be rather cold too. Its sounds the the ripcurl fireskin is a steamer by its name but not sure....but def. 4/3
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-17-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
right on, thanks for the help.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-17-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
54 degrees is my threshold for wanting to switch from a 3/2 to a 4/3, but my body runs hot. 63 degrees or warmer, and I don't usually bother with a wetsuit at all for wakeboarding, and I actually like being cooled down. Surfing (real surfing) is a different story. So, I guess I'm in agreement with the others. If you run cold or average, get the 4/3. If you have a high tolerance for cold, go with the 3/2 for better flexibility. Also, keep in mind that if it's too hot, you can always just let some water in through the neck to cool off.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-17-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
3/2 is good down to about 56, anything below that and you'll want a 4/3. It depends on how often you'll see those temps. Wind will also penetrate a 3/2 a lot more than a 4/3 so keep that in mind as well.

As far as quality, I've heard a lot of surfers say that the rip curl's do not hold up as well as other suits. I'm sure there are exceptions, and all suit mfg's have lemons (know from experience) but I've heard the rip curls fall apart.

My wife has an older ignite and it has held up great. I actually bought a 4/3 on Whiskey for myself and it seems like a nice suit. Just haven't worn it in the water yet. It came with the usual one year warranty so that's good to know.

Keep in mind that different brands fit differently so try some on if you can before you buy online.
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-17-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
I had an 4/3 Xcel for real surfing. It was really good. It had the X zip, where you pull the neck over your head then zip like a 5 inch zipper. TRY them on. You really want it skin tight. I need a new suit and I want a O'neill phsyco 2. Has anybody tried the jet pilots?
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-17-2007, 8:02 PM Reply   
For quicksilver go for the cell, it's awesome.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-17-2007, 9:02 PM Reply   
With my Oneill psycho 4/3 sometimes I will take the thing off and still be dry. I rode it in 50 degree water and 40 degree air earlier this year and the only things that got cold were my hands and feet.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-17-2007, 9:15 PM Reply   
IMO, a 3/2 should be fine for those water temps. But, I agree with Tim. It depends on how you run.

As for the brands, I am an O'Neill guy myself. Great product. Great customer service on warranty issues.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-17-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
Yeah, Oneill replaced my Psycho II after it fell apart last winter. Good to know that they'll back their product... especially at 400 bucks!
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-18-2007, 6:47 AM Reply   
I think the thing is all about comfort, can you survive in a 3/2 ....yes! ...but will you be toasty warm ...no!
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-18-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
Living near the beach, I've been a surfer for about 3 decades now. Over the years, Xcel and Aleeda have been the wetsuit brands that have lasted the longest for me. My experience with other brands has been hit and miss, but I've never had a bad experience with either of those two.
Old     (smithwake101)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-18-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
you should check out the body glove vapor its seamed sealed with a bat wing / flood gate also blind stiched with water resistant outer layer of fabric called vapor skin that suit is the by fare the best i used
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-18-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
I too would like to get a wetsuit to extend my season a bit but am worried about the fit.

I am not your average sized guy at 6"1 and 150 lbs. I am closest to a medium tall but am worried about the fit and I dont know anywhere close to me to try one on.

Does anyone know of a suit company whos sizes run a little tall or a little thin?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-18-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
Jon:

Oneill's fit tall and skinny people. At 150 though I wouldn't expect it it be snug.

I've also heard good things about the Vapors as mentioned above.

(Message edited by blabel on September 18, 2007)
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-18-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
Is there any point in getting one if it does not fit snug?
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-18-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
i wear my 4/3 down to 50 degrees at around 60 ill switch to my 2mm l/s shorty and above 65 just boardshorts
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-18-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
jon I got a neil pride 4/3 medium I am 5'11.5" and 150 ....it fits me like a glove .....I dont think you need medium tall with the extra 1.5 ".Yes it would be no good if it didn't fit snug.

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on September 18, 2007)
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-18-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
....check the measurements on the site ....I found them to be very accurate
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-18-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Entrust....the temps you are talking...is that water temperature or air temps?
Old     (johnben)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-18-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
If you can go a little more money I would recommend a dry suit after owning one you can use them anytime of the year and be good, it is an overkill in the spring and fall but you can still ride.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-18-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
The RipCurl Fireskin is a high-end wetsuit. You can't go wrong with that one.

Also, consider a drysuit per johnben above. It will also be something you can share on the boat if your other riders are afraid of the cold and don't suits of their own.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-19-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
I rode yesterday in a heater shirt (2/1mm maybe) and the water was 63.

I think alot of it depends on your own body temperature.... do you tend to be hot a lot??
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-19-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
In the absence of being able to try out a wetsuit or two, you should also ask yourself the question, would I rather err on the side of warmth or frigidity. Also, depending on how you ride, you may spend more time in the air than in the water, so also factor in the air temps to help in your decision.

I am in SoCal, so the cold water is usually not accompanied by excessively cold air. My rules of thumb are:

67< = trunkin it
55 - 60 = 2mm LS spring suit or depending on air 1mm shorts and heater top
55> = full suit 3/2

I've never been too cold in the winter in SoCal with my old Body Glove 3/2. I also love riding in the winter and look forward to it all year....call me crazy.

The next question, then, would be to wear or not to wear boardshorts OVER the wetsuit.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-19-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
Dont forget that if you get a wetsuit you are REALLY going to want a hot water shower if taking more than 1 set. Nothing kills a wakeboard stoke more than sliding into a nice cold and wet wetsuit.

On the flip side, a nice hot water shower will allow you to "preheat" that wetsuit and get warmed up on the boat a little.

With a drysuit its exactly that, no need for a hot water shower since your completely dry from neck, to wrist, to ankles.

Given the option I go with the wetsuit. I feel like I ride better with my 4/3 than my drysuit.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-19-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
For wakeboarding I highly prefer a baggy nylon drysuit to a wetsuit. Easier to get on and you are dry when you are finished riding and sitting in the boat. Also you can adjust it for temperature by wearing different clothing underneath. I have used it in water with ice chunks floating with layers of fleece underneath, and I have used it in mid 60's water with just trunks underneath.

With my limited experience surfing in cold water (5 months in san diego,) I was perfectly comfortable in my ripcurl F-Bomb 3/2. It was nearly the same price as a drysuit. I used it from about 56 degree water up to about 65-67 degrees, where I would switch to just a 2.2mm shirt. Haven't noticed it falling apart at all, but then again I only used it for a few months. Now that I am pretty much doing all my surfing in 80+ degree water it is sitting in the closet. haha
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-19-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Also I do have a built in insulation layer as well.....