Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-15-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
Alright I need some help, I've taken great pics with my canon rebel on setting TV speed 1000-1200 ISO 100, but what about during the evening as the sun starts to set I just get dark images even when I adjust the ISO to 400,800,or even 1600? I am talking about using during wakeboarding with speed pics in mind not just noraml pics...
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-15-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
You might have to slow the shutter speed down a little more. Shoot on Manual with Your aperture wide open and adjust your shutter speed with Your light meter.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-15-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
ok I know how to slow the shutter speed in TV mode, Manual,Aperture don't know how to adjust?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-16-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
I don't remember how to set the aperture on a Rebel but I'll take a guess that the dial on top sets the shutter speed and the directional buttons (side to side) on the back of the camera set aperture. I could be wrong so read your manual.

You can also shoot on aperture priority and set Your aperture wide open and the camera will automatically set Your shutter speed.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-16-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       07-16-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
in low light situations i shoot in manual. keep a good eye on the light meter, its your friend. To adjust the aperature theres an av button to the right of the eye piece. hold that down and spin the dial and watch the f number go up or down on the lcd. In lower light situations i try not to go higher than 800 ISO, no lower than 800 shutter speed, and i keep my aperature wide open. However, IMO, a sharp shot of the rider frozen in the frame with noise (created from higher ISO levels, typically 1600), is better than a blurred rider with no noise.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-16-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
so what s better manual or TV mode? aperature wide open, which way low numbers or high?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-16-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
what parameters setting do you recommend.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-16-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
What mode You shoot in is some what of a preference thing but I find the better I get the more I shoot in manual(unless I'm feeling lazy)

I suggest You do some reading and learn all the functions of Your camera and how different settings will change the out come of Your photos.

Settings will change so there is no one setting that will work all the time.

Here's a link that will help You out a little. http://www.wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?id=553
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       07-17-2006, 12:50 AM Reply   
yes, read that article walt posted 2 times. then read the rebel manual 2 times. i did this and basically know the camera in and out now. I've been reading a ton of articles online and have really learned a lot in the past couple months.

manual vs tv mode is user preference. you might find that you want the exact depth of field your looking for so you would then shoot in manual. but if all you really care about is the shutter speed and the DOF is not really that big of deal, then i shoot in tv if the lighting permits it.

(Message edited by wakeboardertj on July 17, 2006)