Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (xh913x)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-24-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
Hey, me and my DAD just picked up an '01 Bayliner 195 Classic with a 135 hp Mercruiser engine. I really am lookin to get into wakeboarding, and was wondering if this boat had enough power to eailly pull a wakeboarder/skis etc...? (I'm really new to boats and watersports.) The owner of the boat said he never did any skiing, but he said he thinks it could pull skis and wakeboards...

Thanks
Tyler
Old     (tvreeland)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-24-2005, 9:49 PM Reply   
Yes, your boat can pull wakeboarders for now. once you get better you will want to add weight to increase wake size and then it will need more power.
As for skiing, you can do it but it will drag you in the water for a while.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-24-2005, 9:49 PM Reply   
Welcome to the world of wakeboard, first off you are most likley going to need to change the size of your prop. Going to a smaller diamiter and a better pitch. Acme props are some of the best made fully CNC. Once you get a new prop you should have no problem pulling up a wakeboarder.
Old    powaman            04-25-2005, 4:39 AM Reply   
Get out on the water and test it out, see how it pulls you out, then see where to go from there(new prop ect.) Alot depends on your skill level, if your better you can make it much easier on the boat and get up quickly, but if you get beginers they drag much longer and it will take more, but you boat should have plenty of power to pull you up. Will you be able to add a ton of weigth?No but it will be just fine.
Old     (xh913x)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-25-2005, 6:05 AM Reply   
What would be an ideal/noticeable propellor upgrade? And what will the upgrade do to the boat?

Tyler
Old    powaman            04-25-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
You would want to get a prop with a different pitch, this would allow the boat to have more low end power, but less top speed. First off you need to take the boat out and see how it does with it's current setup, then you should go to a prop or boat place and ask them for advice on what pitch prop or what kind of prop you should get(4 or 3 blade).
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-25-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
Definately talk to your local dealer. Prop changes make the boat run in different RPM ranges. You will need to find where the ideal range is for your boat.
Old     (scottie4421)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-25-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
Don't worry about any of that....a wakeboarder is relatively easy to pull out of the water. It'll do fine. It may not pop you right up like a wakeboard boat, but it'll definitely get you up without any trouble. Just try it out first...if it sucks, then check out changing the prop.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-25-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
Lowering the pitch on the prop will help you stay on plane better at wakeboarding speeds (along with a hydrofoil stabilizer and some weight in the bow).

Getting you out of the water won't even be an issue. It'll do fine.
Old    fun9c1            04-25-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
I agree with Scott. 135 horses is PLENTY to ski or WB behind for now. Once you get into it, get a feel for it and learn more about the sport and it's boats, then you'll have a much better idea from YOUR experiences what you want to do with it. For now, just leave it alone and go have fun with it!
Old     (xh913x)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-27-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
Will the boat produce a decent wake to wakeboard behind? I'm just afraid that the boat will not be able to progress me as i get more into it.

(Message edited by xh913x on April 27, 2005)
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-27-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
Yes, this boat (without anything) will be fine for a year or two, probably more, depending how often you ride. After you learn to get up, carve, jump the wakes, do surface tricks, and some basic aerial tricks (wake 180's, grabs) you should consider adding weight. I know guys that learned behind I/O's without a single pound of weight and could land inverts.

Since you said you were just getting into it, just perfect your riding with what you have before spending all the money. It's not a cheap sport, and things will probably be better (improved) by the time you actually need it. No sense in having to buy something twice.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-02-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   
as a beginner, or any level- the best thing you can do is to work on your technique. Poor technique will hinder your progression and lead to bad habits. Good tech. can be applied to any wake size. Check out the instruction portion of this site. Have fun.