Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
What are people paying for a yearly tune up? This would be impeller, plugs/wires, oil/filter, fuel water seperator v drive check and oil. and checking the drive shaft. I was quoted 700 bucks. There saying 450 just in labor alone. is that about right? im thinking i know how to already do everything but the v drive stuff/impeller and the drive shaft.

Can anyone rec a local delta/east bay co?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-27-2008, 11:43 PM Reply   
Soli I would do it myself. Invest that money in a good set of manuals and learn a little about your boat while saving tons of money
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-28-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
I was quoted about 35 for the oil change and 50 for transmission check up. I usually do my own maintenance, but, this boat is new to me and I don't know how old some of the fluids are and I want to have it checked out before the season starts.
Old     (5oclocksomewhere)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-28-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
Buy yourself an extraction pump [looks like a big metal syringe] at the local auto parts place, most vdrives and transmissions will hold no more than 2 QTS of fluid , dont even question the age of the fluid just replace it.

my 2 cents
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-28-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
Lets say their labor rate is $100/hr, that's only 4.5hrs labor for what you've listed. Sounds about right to me.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-28-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
just a little tip on the extraction pump, make sure the oil is warm! before you extract or you will be sitting there watching it drip out for an hour.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-28-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
I try not to take my boats into the shop, ever. I wouldn't trust most shops.

Boats are easy to work on. You can do all of that in a 1/2 day.

How many hours are on the boat? I have never done plugs or wires. They should last a while.

My X2 didn't need an extract pump. Had a tube on the bottom of the oil pan that extends out of the drag plug
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-28-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
700 for all that is what ive been quoted as well, so thats about right.

Liquid Wrenches - close to you off of Vasco are great.
Old     (surfsup)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-28-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
Give Eudy a call at 408-799-4230, I think he may have a mobile service as well
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-28-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
thanks guys, I have done my oil a few times already along with the filters, i did learn the hard way about needing the oil warmed up first. It took my about an hr to suck a few ounces out, they i talked to a few of my buddies they said you have to have it warmed up first. I did it and bam done in like 20 mins. Boy did i feel like a tool.

J-rod I have 250 hrs on a o6 sanger. I agree i think the plugs and all that should still be god for a while.What do you think at that amount of hrs.

Thanks again for the referrals ill hit them up about the things i cant do myself.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-28-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
One thing to keep in mind on the plugs are the wires. They can break down and crack. This could cause an arc and a big BOOM. Cheap insurance in a fume filled environment is change the wires periodically.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-28-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
Shouldn't be any explosive fumes unless you have a fuel leak...
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-28-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
if its an 06 with 250hrs. it does not need plugs or wires. plugs and wires good for 5yrs 500 hrs easy
1. change oil and filter
2. change trans fluid
3. change v-drive fluid
4. change impeller
5. check clamps and hoses
6. lube linkages and steering cable/rudder
7. check belts tension/condition.
8. clean flame arrestor.
9. serv. trailer
10. replace fuel filter
i also recomend checking your trany cooler inlet for debris if you do not have a sea strainer. i cant tell you how many boats come into my shop on a monthly basis that dont have sea strainers and have clogged up trany coolers causing them problems. in my neck of the woods a sea strainer is a must.

(Message edited by kko13 on March 28, 2008)
Old     (topside_marine)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-31-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
What service your boat needs depends on how many hours and what type of use you put on the boat and how you take care of it. To put a blanket value on an annual service is just not right. Sometimes annual service requirements for our customers is only about $200 dollars, sometimes its around $500. It is not a set formula. The more that needs to be done the more it will cost.

If a dealership is telling you to change out your plugs and wires with less than about 300 hours on the engine...find a new service dealer. If they want to change plug wires ask them what is the resistivity value for each wire. If less than about 1500 to 1700 ohms then to change them is a waste of money.

The bottom line is each service is different. If they have set price then look closely before you leap. You might be jumping over a cliff.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-31-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
Exactly what Kevin said. No need to do plugs/wires until 500-ish hours. I did mine on my '02 at 450 and they still looked great. As for the wires... I wouldn't change them at all unless you have a running issue. Generally speaking wires don't really wear out. They should go at least twice the hours of the plugs. A good way to test them is to lightly spray them with a spray bottle of water. If you see any arching to metal components or you get any change in running, then it's time for wires.