Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-22-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
who's got the skinny on this. What not to do when trying this?? How to stay consistant?

As I understdand: Come into the wake with a little foot heavy on your back foot. When you realease off the top, initiate the trick by tucking your ear into your shoulder. Also, isn't it important to keep your hands in the same place thru-out this trick (low near your hips)?
Old    alanp            02-27-2007, 8:58 PM Reply   
keith. i do similar to what you are saying. come in with about 75% of my weight on my rear heel. as im releasing off the wake i pull my front foot up while throwing my ear to the shoulder then hucking my whole upper body down to the water. its very important to keep the rope centered at your waist throughout the trick. if you move it around it will screw with the rotation speed. my advice what not to do would be to just think that putting your ear on your shoulder is gonna get you all the way around. you really have to commit and huck it. also dont come in timid, this isnt a wake to wake trick at first, plan on landing in the flats. this isnt a trick that you will lose either, once you learn them you'll have them because there isnt much too it once you understand how to do the flip. i think they are the one of the easiest flips, AFTER you learn how to do them. late
Old    alanp            02-27-2007, 8:59 PM Reply   
also the trick isnt hucked from side to side like a cartwheel, you will rotate in the same direction you are riding. if you try to rotate from side to side you wont have enough speed to rotate the trick and you'll end up on your back/butt.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-28-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
is it almost a railey edge coming in?
Old    alanp            02-28-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
no, nothing even close to a raley edge, just a solid edge that will land you a little ways into the flats
Old    alanp            02-28-2007, 5:58 PM Reply   
i see youre in phoenix, when i head up there ill hit you up. if you ever want to come to yuma to ride, let me know as well. do you ride in any of the awa events?
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-01-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
I haven't been in any events here yet.. I used to ride in all the events in Hawaii (hawaii wakeboard pro/am and grass roots)

I'm almost to the point where i don't have the motivation and just want to free ride these days. That way, I can work on my drinking habit.

So i'm assuming you ride at havasue? I will be up there May 31st to June 4th. Anytime you come in, send me an email. Don't even bother pulling your boat. I have plenty of room. :-)
Old    alanp            03-01-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
am actually in yuma, thanks for the invite to havasu. same goes with you, if you feel like rolling to yuma, for a new scene or whatever, let me know, id be more than happy to have you out. later
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-13-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
Alan - How are the crashes when first learning these? I have always liked harder edging tricks and been better at load and release type stuff compared to trip flip tricks. Any other first thoughts to throwing these for the first time?
Old    alanp            03-13-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
the crashes hurt. youre more than likely to stop mid rotation and fall on your back and slap your baby makers. i wore underarmor to ease the slap factor. i laid off this trick for a few months because the crashes were so hard then i went for it and landed it my first time after the lay off. the biggest thing is really dumping your head and upper body towards the water in the direction you are riding. i always say tricks are caused not accidental. i think alot of people open their rear shoulder(squaring it up like a trantrum) too much which causes the stall in the rotation and also people feel like "if just put my ear on my shoulder" then ill be good to go. and again this is no where near a raley edge just a good solid edge that will get you into the flats.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-14-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
So it's more of a tucked and turned head rather than just put your ear on your shoulder? I can visualize it more thinking about flipping that way...still tip over tail but more forward in the direction you are going. That way instead of a straight cartwheel if that makes sense. The only crash I'm worried about us going up short on the tail of my board and wrecking me knees or ankles.
Old    alanp            03-14-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
yeah jeff that crash scared me too, however i just never experienced it. you are on the right track though thats the direction you want to flip.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-16-2007, 3:44 PM Reply   
The only thing I'm afraid of is trying to huck-it too much and over rotating on your face. However, it seems like in this trick, you are more likely to under-rotate if anything.

I might try and bust one out on Sunday. I should have been trying these things the whole winter when I had a damn dry suite on. It could have helped the impact when my a$$ is about to create a yard sale on top of the water!

Old    alanp            03-16-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
keith-drysuit/wetsuit is a great idea. these crashes really hurt. i dont think overrotation is common with these. you will pretty much see the landing the whole time and you can extend your legs and arms out if you are rotating to fast(to slow down). however i dont think its very common. i couldnt imagine rotating these wake to wake. its just a trick that takes a little time to initiate but once initiated it happens real fast.
take a few jumps out into the flats and at the top of the wake work on bring your front knee up and dumping your ear to shoulder and shoulder to the water. then go for it.
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-17-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Alan- Im realy consisant on them but I always do a frantrum, I start off like a tantrum and midway thru my flip I go into a frontflip? any advice?
Old    alanp            03-17-2007, 9:43 PM Reply   
clay starting off like a tantrum is the problem. this flip is a load and release trick. you need a progressive edge. most people turn this to frantrum because they open their back shoulder(i.e. square it up like tantrum). my guess is your rotating on horizontal axis with the rope rather than a more vertical axis.
Old    jpbray            04-11-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
If would feel more confortable trying them switch because I can do switch frontflip on my snowboard and also landed my switch hs frontflip on first try of the kicker at the cablepark. I don't know why but I'm kind of afraid to try them switch behind the boat. Should I still try them switch or just go regular first? Switch front to fakie with a grab look very nice tough and could be more easy to land than a regular front to fakie ...?
Old    alanp            04-16-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
jean i guess this just boils down to your comfort with switch. i dont know how well this trick translates on the snow or off a kick. i think it would be easier off a kicker but im not sure.
Old    alanp            04-16-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
i had a photo taken the other day of me doing one ill try to get it posted.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-01-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
Well...post up!
Old    alanp            06-02-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
the chick hasnt sent it to me yet. she took a ton of photos and was gonna burn them to disc for me.