Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Holidayking)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-25-2013, 4:55 AM Reply   
I thought I would enter a new thread today to see if I can get more details on HP needed for the Natique G23. The XS 550HP is very costly and I was avoiding it hoping the 450HP would suffice. Now I am waiting on a quote for the all new XR 550HP which is less than the XS 550. I understand the main difference is that the XR is similair to the XR 450 and does not have staineless pipes like the XS. Two questons...Will this new XR550 be reliable? Is 450HP enough for this boat that seems really large? We usually have 10-12 people on board at any given time.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-25-2013, 6:12 AM Reply   
10 to 12 people is a lot. As someone else mentioned, your altitude will come into play as well. Where are you located?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-25-2013, 6:47 AM Reply   
450 was enough in the G I drove with stock plus almost 2k
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-25-2013, 7:11 AM Reply   
to me your looking at it way wrong. obviously if you have 10-12 people on the boat at any given time plus all the junk they bring that thing is loaded. a boat with 450hp and same one 600hp might be 5mph difference on the top end, but with that many people on the boat i doubt youll be driving it wide open much. if i was you i wouldnt care to much about the hp, you need to worry about getting the right prop! 300hp would be plenty if the boats propped for how your going to use it, ya your going to loose some top end, but if your not using your G to race to your favorite fishing whole who cares if your loose 10 to 15 mph on the big end, low end it will uproot trees! probably get better fuel economy to

Last edited by Elliottsx80; 03-25-2013 at 7:14 AM.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-25-2013, 8:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliottsx80 View Post
to me your looking at it way wrong. obviously if you have 10-12 people on the boat at any given time plus all the junk they bring that thing is loaded. a boat with 450hp and same one 600hp might be 5mph difference on the top end, but with that many people on the boat i doubt youll be driving it wide open much. if i was you i wouldnt care to much about the hp, you need to worry about getting the right prop! 300hp would be plenty if the boats propped for how your going to use it, ya your going to loose some top end, but if your not using your G to race to your favorite fishing whole who cares if your loose 10 to 15 mph on the big end, low end it will uproot trees! probably get better fuel economy to
I ran the most agressive prop that Acme had last year on my G23 with the ZR450. Stock ballast plus 2100-2300 extra ballast is about all that engine will push (maybe it would be the same result with the 409, who knows). The XR/XS550 has much more low end torque than the ZR's have. You can run a less agressive prop and put way more weight in it, and it gets out of the hole no problem.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-25-2013, 9:28 AM Reply   
That^
The hull is literally a plow
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-25-2013, 10:50 AM Reply   
Wow, 2300+2800=5100 of ballast in a G23..... is that even necessary? Well of course it's not necessary but I bet it's fun! That would be one HEAVY boat especially with people in it!
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-25-2013, 12:46 PM Reply   
I guess it depends on who you are.

Personally, the G23 wake with stock ballast was bigger and as poppy as I have ever ridden (XStar with PWT ballast). Similar in shape too. Even with 1/2 ballast, it was as big and ridable as my 230 with an extra 1500 or so above stock.

For me, the reason to get this boat is to never deal with additional ballast again, retain all the storage for my ever growing family and have one of the best wakes out there. (Note that I said "one of" cuz I don't want to start a war on what boat produces the best wake... we have done that 10 million times and it always turns out the same).
Old     (Holidayking)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-26-2013, 8:07 PM Reply   
I am going with the XR550 HP. Thanks for the help! Cheers.