Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jenksycat)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-22-2012, 12:32 PM Reply   
Looking for some feedback about what people have to say about a 1997 Mastercraft 205 with the LT1Corvette motor. The boat seems to be in very good condition, seemingly well maitained but has 800 hours. I have received some opinions but looking for as many as possible.

Thanks!
Old    sperbet            03-22-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
Classic wake hull. They used it as the original XStar then the X-2 then the X-1. One of my favorites. Great boat. I haven't ridden behind a direct drive version.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-22-2012, 1:22 PM Reply   
Pro's
Great build quality
Great wakeboard wake with extra weight(same hull as 205V but with direct drive)
Really good ski wake with no weight(same hull as mid 90's prostar 190 but slightly bigger)
resale(this is a fairly sought after boat)

Neg's
rough water ride is going to be terrible compared to boats nowadays(not any worse then most boats from the 80's or 90's though.
next to zero storage
will have to add sacs on the floor so it may be a pain to move around in the boat while wakeboarding.

Questions
the corvette engine was an expensive option in its day but if it is some sort of aluminum block engine it may be really expensive to replace if something happens. If it is just a normal 350 then whatever.

Overall great all around boat if you don't mind the small size and lack of storage. Personally I think they should be worth anywhere from 12-17k depending on condition, options and location. If that year had the rear seat base that can be lifted up and set up high to make a sunpad that would be nice. That give you a lot of room so you could put a 750 or so under there while wakeboarding as well as make an extra sunpad. Bonus to if that year had a rear locker. I think the gas tank fills up most of it put any extra storage for ropes, anchor, fenders is nice. With the rear seat up and a 750 under it, mayeb a few hundred pounds in the rear locker and 500-750 pounds total in the bow you should be set and be able to move about the boat easily. Did that year have a walkway ski locker? If so another bonus so you can get 300-400 pounds in there.

Last edited by polarbill; 03-22-2012 at 1:24 PM.
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       03-22-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
I have this same boat. I am biased with my boat goggles but I think its nice. The wake with two 750 on each side of the dog-house and some weight up front the wake is respectable. The '97 does not have a ski locker but instead has a useless in-floor cooler. As previously mentioned storage isn't great but this the rear seat can be set up in sundeck position for the women to sunbathe. The ski wake is pretty good, not as good as an early '90 prostar 190 but better than most V-drives. This year does not have a rear storage locker, just the gas tank and overlying pad.

Overall a nice direct drive boat for wakeboarding purposes but at the end of the day it is a DD with limitations as such. Resale is also pretty strong, I'm planning on using this one for another year than selling for the same as I bought it for a year ago (already had offers).

I have the 350 TBI and think the engine is sufficient for most needs but haven't heard any negatives about the LT1 other than repair is a little more challenging if needed (regurgitated info from MC's team talk forum).

Last edited by Therapy10; 03-22-2012 at 5:35 PM.