Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (jayson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-26-2003, 3:31 PM Reply   
I have just recently begun getting the boat ready for the warm weather and going to relocate my amps and want to build a dummy wall and carpet it to match everything. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mount the dummy wall to the floor or anything they did or didn't do? Also I'm going to be buying a mp3/cd player and was wondering what a good one to buy is? I need one that has 3 preamps so i can fade the boat speakers/tower speakers/ sub. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-26-2003, 3:44 PM Reply   
Put it in the passenger side storage compartment against the wall.
Old     (jayson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-26-2003, 3:50 PM Reply   
I am going to put it in the passenger side compartment, its where they were already mounted, but how would you go about securing the wall? I guess use some type of L brackets?
Old    bigd            02-26-2003, 3:53 PM Reply   
Check out Grant's site. His setup is sweeeet.

www.geocities.com/mtbmudmachine/Nautique-welcome.html
Old    mmascari            02-26-2003, 4:07 PM Reply   
I would also be curious how someone mounted a dummy wall in the passenger compartment. Assuming it would be piece of carpeted plywood, how would you make it stay in place? I am in the process of purchasing equipment (amps, speakers, etc) and would rather not put holes in the fiberglass so the equipment could be taken out.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-26-2003, 4:11 PM Reply   
So long as the walkway to the bow has a trim panel you can drill right through the wall and mount with bolts and lock nuts.
Old     (jayson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-26-2003, 4:19 PM Reply   
I guess I should have stated that I have a Malibu and there is no trim panel there. I want to mount it against the hull wall, if that makes any sense
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-26-2003, 4:22 PM Reply   
Mounting it against the hull will complicate things. You'll have to use L brackets and go into the floor. It will work, it just won't look as good.
Old    xtigeman            02-26-2003, 7:10 PM Reply   
I used L brackets against the hull and carpeted over everything including the wiring. It blends in great and looks like a stock wall.
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-27-2003, 6:51 AM Reply   
Hey Im doing This Project right Now. Im relocationg things "Amps "Heaters "Perfict pass ect. Making a Mounthing plate or "Dummy wall" is a good and strong way to mount things on Vertical walls of your hull. Im even mounting my heater on the underside of the dash using this method. Heres how you do it. Find a flat mounting surface with bare fiberglass Make a board that your Amp or what ever you mounting will attach to. Make sure it sits flat against the wall. Then You can Use "Construction Glue" it comes in a Caulk Tube you have to use a caulking gun. I use a product called Liquid Nail's. Use lots of the Construction Glue to the back side of the Mounting board (carpet the front side) glue the board to the Mounting Surface (bare fiberglass) and use tape or what ever to brace it there while it dry's for 24 hrs. And your Done. I have mounted Lots of Heavy amps in boats like this. Even Amps up sidedown. on the underside of closed bow ski boats. If you do it right like I told you It will stick like crazy. This is how all the amps in my boat are mounted with No problem. If you want to be rell trick you can install metal screw insert's to the mounting wall before you glue it on then you can Bolt your amp to the mounting board. That way you can take it on and off as many times as you want with out adding extra holes to your mounng board
Old    buckey            02-27-2003, 8:37 AM Reply   
i used door hinges from the floor to the fake wall.. just have the board lean more against the wall. to secure it to the top use a piece of metal that will bend over the board so the back is easily accessable by flipping the steel strap and folding the wall over.
Old    buckey            02-27-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
i used door hinges from the floor to the fake wall.. just have the board lean more against the wall. to secure it to the top use a piece of metal that will bend over the board so the back is easily accessable by flipping the steel strap and folding the wall over.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-27-2003, 2:18 PM Reply   
I like the hinged "leaning board" approach pictured above. Here are quick release hinges that can be used to attach the board to the floor for easy removal:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearch?keyword=hinge&advanced=YES&searchDeptId =24

hinge