Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (tige_n_it)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-15-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
This board came with the boat that I bought used last year. Iv'e been riding it couple of times now and I have been enjoying it. Not knowing anthing about boards, I was hoping someone here could tell me a little something about it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-15-2005, 8:07 PM Reply   
The BAFF was Hyperlite original Twin Tip circa 1995-96. It is long & narrow & has a ton of speed and little pop compared to the new boards of today. Take a look at the board guide here & see the differences. If you are looking to progress a new board will definately help you out. I would suggest a board with molded fins as they are very stable. Your BAFF relies on a large surf style fin that makes it difficult to slide around. The newer boards offer better tracking without a huge fin this makes surface tricks easier. The increased width will also make you jump higher.
Old     (tige_n_it)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-15-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
That board is 10years old? Wow!
Old    penny4urthots            03-16-2005, 2:03 AM Reply   
keep it it will be a collectors item soon. I still have a Shapiro Pro model that was a directional!! Straight classic
Old     (leewilson)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-16-2005, 8:11 AM Reply   
Is that how long I have been boarding, doesn't show in the skill level.

I still remember BAFF=Bad Ass Flying Fish!!!
Old    screvy            03-16-2005, 8:35 PM Reply   
I had one but it was so heavy sold for HC
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-16-2005, 9:27 PM Reply   
Yeah, those things used some "unique" hyperlite technology, that basically consisted of an aluminum outer layer for the top sheet (I think that's it...I"m too lazy to look, but it was something like "energy rib composite.") Anyway, i reckon that's why those things were so heavy.

As for the collectablity of that board...they actually aren't that rare and I'm almost postive that there's one on ebay right now. Keep it if it means something to you, but Unless a large number of them end up destroyed, it won't be highly collectable (IMO). And really, it should be about the memories and sentiments attached to it, and not the money it could fetch. But that's just me.

On a nostalgic side note, that board was the first board a guy I know bought, and he ended up being all into tatoos, and the last I had heard he was going to get that fish tatooed on himself somewhere.
Old    penny4urthots            03-16-2005, 11:33 PM Reply   
Cookey-
I was using a pinch of sarcasm in my earlier recipe for the BAFF sandwich... I must agree with all of what you wrote, including the nostalgic site that you referenced. Spoken like a true wakeboarding scholar... I am proud to slaysh with guys like you!!
Old    absolutofft            03-18-2005, 1:42 AM Reply   
It would make a good slider board because that thing is a tank, I had my BAFF in perfect condition stolen out of my garage :-(. It survived 6 weeks on a ship from ireland to canada then some had to go and steal it.
Old    high_risk            04-06-2005, 8:47 PM Reply   
rode a friends because I didn't want to use mine on a slider