Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    mmascari            08-11-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
I have an '03 Supreme with a Mercruiser 350 MPI. I read a while ago of problems people were having with these engines dropping RPM while cruising above 3k RPM. We were cruising at a steady speed and then the RPM just drops by itself. This problem started on my boat yesterday and I am trying to get some info to the dealer.

For those of you that have had the problem was it a bad fuel pump, fuel filter, or maybe a fuel pump booster kit (recall)?
Old     (onealrep)      Join Date: May 2002       08-11-2004, 11:16 AM Reply   
My fuel filter went bad at about 75 hours, the symptoms are the same as what you describe.
Old    mmascari            08-11-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
Thanks. The boat is at the dealer. My boat has 100 hours, so it is probably time for a new fuel filter anyway.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       08-11-2004, 4:23 PM Reply   
Yep my Tige' had a fuel filter recall. Or at least they designated it to be changed more often. It was being clogged easily from contaminates in the gas. Especially when filling up at dock side gas stations. I never had the problem but they changed out the filter during my 20 hour service and now during every service.

Not sure if that is the problem you are having but I guess you will find out shortly.
Old    jason739            08-11-2004, 7:09 PM Reply   
My 350 MPI would run various lengths of time and then die. Sometimes it would start right back up and sometimes it might not start for several hours.
Original bulletin from Mercruiser said to add a fuel pump booster. However, it was the main fuel pump itself.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-12-2004, 10:32 AM Reply   
Mark,
I had the same problem with my 350 mpi motor in my avalanche as well. Change the fuel filter as well as the water fuel seperator. That did the trick for me. Boat runs, well ran flawless. I have since sold the boat.
Old    stevedude            08-12-2004, 11:03 PM Reply   
I had a problem with my Mag 350 MPI cutting out after 2 to 3 hours (when warm). It would idle rough and stall out. Sometimes would run fine for a little while and have the same problem. I changed the fuel/h2o seperator filter but no help. Called our local service shop & he said to change the distributor pickup. That fixed the problem. Same problem came back 100 hours later, resolved with same fix. ~ 53.00 part and takes 15 minutes to install. Steve
Old    mmascari            08-16-2004, 3:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the assistance. The dealer changed the fuel filter, but the problem is still there.

I will have them check the water/fuel separator and possible fuel pump and/or booster.
Old    maxr            08-23-2004, 11:29 AM Reply   
Had a similar problem on a new Sanger. RPM would suddently drop 300-600 then come back. The problem was a pinched fuel line.