Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-22-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
The pumps for the ballast on my SSV pretty much suck. They take forever to fill, and not only that, you don't have independent controls when filling. From what I understand there is only ONE fill pump, but three empty pumps. Has anyone ever changed it out and added more pumps to fill quicker???? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2005, 8:08 AM Reply   
There may be only one fill pump (my '02 has only one), but I thought I saw three ballast switches on the '05. If so, the fill mode for each switch controls the central fill pump and a solenoid valve for one sack. You can control how much goes into each sack with these switches. We do it all the time.

Have you burped your sacks? Is the ball valve for the ballast system is fully open? Are there any kinks or obstructions in any of the fill lines?

I guess "suck" is a relative term. After launch, we drive about two miles @ 25 MPH to a riding spot. By the time we get set up for the first rider, the swim platform is way underwater and all three GG sacks pretty much are full.

The fill pump is in the bilge on the starboard side of the V-drive unit. If you feel you need more filling capacity, you only need one bigger pump; installing three fill pumps would be a major hassle. I'd check the system out thoroughly first, and then if I still needed faster filling I'd check with Supra for recommendations on a bigger pump.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-22-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
I'll look into it a bit more, I do know that when I just turn on the center bag, everything fills. They pump out fast because there are 3 drain pumps. Sounds like I just need to play with it a bit.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-22-2005, 11:44 AM Reply   
Brandon, if you turn on the center bag, and all 3 fill, then your manual open valves are in the open position on the manifolds. Just open up the v-drive/transmission compartment underneath the back seat and turn your manual valves to the "off" position. That will take care of it.

Remember, your bags fill much, much faster when you are moving as well.

Thanks

McFly
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
The solenoid valves are not always 100% water-tight in the "off" position, and some water can be forced into all the bags at speed even if the switches are off.

However, if all three bags are getting filled up with just the center switch on, you may have a wiring problem or an installation glitch. I'd have the dealer check it out.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-22-2005, 8:35 PM Reply   
Good to hear, thanks, I'll be sure to check on the solenoid valves when I am out next. Hopefully NOT a wiring problem, I would hate to have a warranty issue so soon.
Old    zboomer            03-23-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
I'll back Marty. I had an '04 SSV, and although there is one (big) fill pump, it goes through a manifold giving independant control of each bag.

If all are filling when you turn on the center, something's wrong.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-23-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
Right...we see this issue non stop. We have more SSVs roll thru our dealership than most other dealers, and 95% of the time, the problem is that the manual open valve is just open, instead of closed.

The new manifolds that the 04s and 05s are using are very good though...they seal very well. If water is still flowing to all 3 bags when one switch is on, and the manual valve is closed, odds are there is a piece of debris that the pump has sucked up and it has gotten wedged into the manifold valve, forcing it to stay open.

Good luck!

McFly
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-23-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
Last night I looked at the solenoids, and they were all in the "ON" position. So I turned them to the off position, and hopefully that will help. I'll report later. Thanks.
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-31-2005, 7:44 PM Reply   
one other thing to check out that Marty didn't mention is the screen filter. It is between the pump and manifold. Lakes and rivers are notorious for debris at this time of the year, clean that out and it should help speed up the process. It is similar to a pool pump filter. It is really easy to clean out and should be inspected regularly.