Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-16-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
It is a forum.
People express their opinions on forums.
He expressed his opinion, why should he apologize?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-16-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-16-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Interesting, the original post was deleted but mine remained
Old     (trouble17)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-16-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
sorry the link seems to have vanished

Saw this post on a UK website and personally i think the father of this well known wakeboarder owes the european female wakeboarding community an apology, who is HE to say they are all 'awful', i thought wakeboarding was about enjoying yourself and improving yourself as much as you can!!!!!!!

http://forums.wakeboard.com/wakeboard-uk/7210-uk-wakeboard-nationals-2.html
Old    wakejjboard12            07-16-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
what did the original say
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-16-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
the same thing
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-16-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
If we are talking about wakeboarding on the highest competitive level, then I would say no. It is not about "enjoying yourself and improving yourself as much as you can." It is about winning. Just like any other sport.

Possibly "awful" wasn't the best choice of words.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-16-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   

quote:

By jessica (wakejjboard12) on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 7:59 am:

what did the original say

this...

quote:

Helen Carroll said:

Saw this post on a UK website and personally i think the father of this well known wakeboarder owes the european female wakeboarding community an apology, who is HE to say they are all 'awful', i thought wakeboarding was about enjoying yourself and improving yourself as much as you can!!!!!!!

http://forums.wakeboard.com/wakeboard-uk/7210-uk-wakeboard-nationals-2.html

Old     (philuk)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-16-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
I don't agree yes a forum is to give your opinion but not to slag people off, this sport is supposed to be about enjoying yourself and encouraging everyone. Not everyone can ride at a pro level so does that mean the rest of us should just give up as we are 'Awful'. Yes have an opinion but don’t slag people off am sure if we started having an opinion on his daughter he would soon get upset
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-16-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
I am sure he would say that I am an awful wakeboarder, and it may very well be true, but I respect his right to say it, and I aboslutely disagree with his opinions on several topics.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-16-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
"having the right to say it" and "saying the right thing" are 2 different things.

carry on.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-16-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
This is true, I never said it was the right thing to say, but why should people come on here demanding an apology??

Sack up and prove the critics wrong people!!!
Old     (philuk)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-16-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
Why shouldn't people ask for an apology as you have said this is a forum for people to give an opinion
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-16-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   

quote:

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 8:09 am:

This is true, I never said it was the right thing to say

based on that post, you thought it was the wrong thing to say. and you still need proof or an explanation why they're demanding an apology?

wow.
Old     (trouble17)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-16-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
Just because someone isnt in the top ten of their sport gives no-one the right to say they are 'awful', i admire anyone who has the courage to compete as they are driving the sport forwards and inspiring people to try a sport that personally i think its great fun and has usually a very caring and supportive community.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion just like tim said....

that's probably one of the reasons the world is in the shape it is... everyone lives in a fantacy world and "deserves and apology"

They should take it as constructive criticism and let them "show him" when they get better....

it doesnt mean that the comment doesnt hurt them... but that's the world we live in.

if everyone wants to take freedom of speech wayay.... we can bring hitler back and do it his way.... but i'm going to suggest we stay where were at.... I'll take someone talking bad about me...

regarless.... at the end of the day... they can all outride me....
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-16-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
wow is right, I don't think people should have to apologize for saying something that is "not nice"

Phil you are correct, people should be allowed to ask for an apology, since it is their opinion and this is a forum!
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-16-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
I'm sure this is out of line and may get deleted but....

Doesn't it seem like Nicola's dad doesn't have sh*t else to do but push the hell out of his daughter and stir up controversy in the wake-community. Everything I read from this guy he's bashing something or complaining about how she needs to "get better" etc....I'm all for parents being behind their kids and pushing them to be successful but D*MN!

Roger Federer would destroy Serena Williams but that doesn't mean that Serena should really "up her game" because she is an inferior athlete. This guy wants his 15-16 year old daughter to be able to compete with grown men who are generally by design, physically superior to women.

Yes I said it...anyone who tries to argue that women are not PHYSICALLY inferior to men need to get a clue.

Bottom line: This girl shreds her face off and her pops needs to find a hobby.

-end rant
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
on snap.... i enjoyed your post luker....lol...

yeah.... that's why they have mens and womens competitions. Plus.... 15-16 years old??? She has PLENTY of time to be #1....
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-16-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
luker, i have to agree, that Butler Sr. sure comes off as a putz...at any level of riding, the last thing any athlete needs is an overexcited parent who consistently is putting his foot in his mouth and spreading negative vibes. If I am correct, Nicola is 16, and if she can't stick up and speak for herself yet, then wakeboarding should be the last thing that Mr. Butler is worried about. Reminds me alot of everyones favorite "dad" Joe Umali Sr...and can anyone tell me what "flame on" means...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-16-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
"joe umali sr" is just some drunk ass from the east coast.
Old     (nathan1pure)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-16-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
"flame on" = argue or bash the person posting
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
so whats wrong with that he said? and who does he need to apologize too?
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
careful.... butler will be demanding an apology
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
Ok, let me clear all this up. I was the one that said it. I got in to a tiff with some people in the UK ( i apologised to the lady I was arguing with) but I did say that the standard of womans riding in Europe is awful.I do not want to get in a raging argument on WW but what am I meant to say? Maybe I shouldn't have said it. But we are back to the old argument. You ride as a pro and you put yourself out there. If people think you aren't any good they are entitled to say it. They do it in EVERY other sport. People make their living out of this and people pay (at some events anyway) to come and watch them. Surely you, as a rider, are expected to offer them something? Maybe I shouldn't have said it but it doesn't mean it isn't true.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
competitive sports arent all ab shaking hands and having a good time. yes most ppl who are professionals do enjoy doing what they do but at the end of the day they gotta pay bills. so along with being the best at what they do and being complimented all the time you gotta be prepared to hear some negative feedback sometimes.

i still dont get why this man should be apologizing for his comments. in his opinion womes riding in europe is awful, so what its his opinion. he shouldnt have to apologize just cuz someone thinks he's wrong. thats weak.

(Message edited by romes on July 16, 2008)
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
Luker? Federer/Serena?? You are not ranting,you are rambling.
Derek? What must Nicola stick up for herself about. You need to find out what this post is about.
And Sean, why would I want an apology and from whom???

This was on a UK site. You guys know nothing about what went on before and I am not going to get into all of it. It will end up being like the post from the guy that left/got kicked off the Tige site.Lol. Nonsensical to most people.
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
sounds to me like a poor choice of words, I would think that what he meant was that the level of competion in Europe was awful. If you or your daughter excel at something, you want to compete against the best and that just wasn't going to happen in Europe he felt.

That's like Tim Duncan's mom saying, I'm sending my boy to play in the states because basketball in the Virgin Islands is awful. Would that offend the players there, maybe, is it true, compared to the US probably, but overall who cares its an opinion.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-16-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
In any sport people that are tied to the professionalism of the sport should be held to a higher standard. These people should be about promoting the sport.
Unfortunately Mr. Butler, by relationship, falls into that category. So by his comment on how "awful" the riding is in Europe, that in no way promotes the sport. So he owes the sport and the hard working people that keep the industry going an apology.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-16-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
some of you might be taking this personally...from my interpretation, he's not talking about the random dude who just rides to ride. he's talking about people that are representing an artform on a larger scale (in terms of what the standards are like, etc). It makes me think of girls getting sponsored in the late 90s for being able to do a backroll. obviously, women's wakeboarding has progressed much farther than that.
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
And why is it that people get so excited when a pro wakeboarder stops by these forums but when a pro's dad does he needs to find a hobby. Is it just because he comments on more than just the wakeboarding tour, he goes in the other forums as well, posts his opnions whether people agree with him or not, isn't that what the forums are about and aren't they open to everyone.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-16-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
If he wasn't Nicola's dad and he said what he said, would he still need to apologies?

I would have to say that at the Pro level this is the first year in a long time that the ladies are starting to step it up and it's great that they get a chance to showcase their talent!

To bad when Dallas was kicking butt they only had a few stops on the tour I'm not counting her out though. I think once she fully recovers she has the skills to be back on top
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
erik i think you're completely wrong. its not his job to promote the sport, its his daughters. as a parent he has a vested interest in the sport but by no means is he am ambassador or promotor.

bc he's nicola's dad he should have to keep his mouth shut? bc its controversial to a few ppl he should apologize? no way
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-16-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
To me it sounds like he has called out the UK Wakeboaders and it might be time for the UK to step up and prove Chris Bulter wrong. By no means is there a need for an apology
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-16-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
to be honest, everyone can be an ambassador in some fashion, if they so choose. You may not be able to affect the audience that a well know professional can touch, but at events or on the lake, you do have the opportunity to turn people on to what you do, let them know what it's about, etc.

If you take it more seriously, you also have the potential to affect people through your riding style, ideals, etc etc.

It may not be chris' job to promote wakeboarding, but it might be a choice...

Also, every rider who cares about their artform and how it's promoted may take the opportunity to speak out about things that they believe are wrong. Their beliefs may not be held by the majority, but if it's something they feel strongly about, they will speak out in hopes of steering it on the right path. An immediate example that comes to mind is a group of wakeboarders in the late 90s who were unsatisfied with the direction riding (and contest riding) was taking--an over emphasis on raleys, a lack of style, etc. They criticized what was accepted for something better, and riders still do that today.

anyway jr (and whoever else inspired this reply), I'm not trying to get all up in your grill, as much as presenting a different way to look at things. I agree with you otherwise.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
You are right. On reflection I probably should not have said it.Maybe something along the lines of 'the level of competition'is poor or whatever (struggling to find a word that will not offend somebody) I still think that pro athletes need to entertain people. I have heard so many woman say overseas that nobody cares about them or respects them. Don't you earn respect?
There is an 11 year old girl in Orlando that has enough inverts and spins to win the Womens Open at the Europeans.If the ladies in Europe are OK with that,then fine.
The level of riding at the European Championships In South Africa in Feb '08 was not very good. Nicola did not ride particulary well either. I am not going to apologise to Nicola because she will tell you the same thing.

Sorry, sorry,sorry. I know a couple of guys in the UK who are laughing their heads off if they are reading this.Feel the same, wouldn't dare to say it.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-16-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
It's all about how much $$ you have. There are plenty of good riders here and abroad, they just can't afford boats, coaching etc..Putting down the less fortunate is wrong.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-16-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
as Mr. Butler has been the center of a few "callings out" and much public promotion of his daughter, i'm not surprised that his comments were received so negatively. in fact, i think at the time he meant them to be negative and take a jab at this "jules" guy/gal due to the lack of reciprocation he thinks they owe him.

anyway, the fundamental question is this: are individuals who get paid to perform any job obligated to positively represent that job or industry? it's probably good practice (especially when sponsor are involved), but i question this as an obligation. i do think that nicola may...."may"....suffer some backlash associated with her dad's inability to filter some of his opinions in public, but as long as they can live with it, let him have his opinions and let him shout them from the mountaintops. obviously her riding can back up all of her dad's talk, but i also read the reno thread where he called her riding along the lines of sub-par, too.

wow....maybe I need a hobby!
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
The level of womens riding in Europe has got nothing to do with money. You think I am slamming the less fortunate because of money. Lol. I don't have money anymore.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
no i completely understand what you're saying esnow.

Chris I commend you on holding true to your words. I'm the same way. Facts are facts, if the competition over in Europe isn't as good as here then so be it. It does no one any good to deny that fact, otherwise the level of riding will never rise. Some people are just too damn sensitive.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-16-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
The level of riding everywhere has to do with money!! You don't have it, you don't ride, you don't ride you don't progress, compete, simple.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
butler....

it was a joke...

i havent been stickin up for what you said... just your rights.

it kinda seems unfair how everyone can bash what you said.... being it's your opinion for one... when they are just bashing you...

just seems like a double standard...
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
hahahah thats funny HH
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-16-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
Truth
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
I did not say her riding in Reno was sub par. I said she miscalculated.Also none of this has anything to do with Nicola anyway. She doesn't even know about it. She wouldn't care even if she did.
Don't you understand. I WANT somebody to come along and fire up womens wakeboarding and lift it. Really lift it. Here and all over the world. What is the matter with that? Why do we embrace mediocrity and pretend it's great? And I am not calling out people that go out and wakeboard and love it and are not very good. I am talking about people that go out riding as pro's and promoting the sport and being sponsored and having 5 inverts after 10 years. If you think that is Ok then you will understand why women struggle to earn money. I also think the women here in the US have really stepped it up this year. And in Europe? NO.From what my friends have told me,nothing has changed.
Again, I apologised on the UK site and Jules accepted it and we moved on and discussed other stuff. Now somebody has decided to let the WW community have a go at me because this is where we live and hopefully people here will make my life unpleasant.
What do you want me to say.If sorry won't do it..........well that's all I've got.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
to some extent...but you also have to remember that he's referencing the "PROS" in europe not the everyday female rider.

so by your definition those "pros" should all have money. therefor they should all be the best.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
that makes perfect since......
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
jr....

I'm not exactly sure about this...
but...I ride with a guy who was pro for a little bit in the late 90's... all he did was break even.... and get a nice boat.

I think the ones that really make money would be ones who have their names on products.

correct me if i'm wrong someone....
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-16-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Why do we embrace mediocrity and pretend it's great?

I've embraced mediocrity in my riding.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-16-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
^^^^^^ The pros that make the money in this sport are the ones that represent their sponsors with class and get seen, coach at camps and make their proteges feel good about getting better, and travel to put on clinics. The prize money for tourneys sure isn't going to pay the bills.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
Its like saying the Jamaican bob sled team is no good or eddy the eagle from britain was a bad ski jumper........really now I cant believe its a discussion. (but then thats what forums are for...but come on)
Old    wakejjboard12            07-16-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
i agree with jakober.

a few years ago most people were bashing the US women and noone had a problem with that. granted he used a poor choice of words but he apologized what more do you want from him?
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Exactly, he wants the level of riding stepped up, everywhere. It was a poor choice of words, he apologized, issue over.
There really aren't any great wakeboarders on my lake, I'm the only one who can do an invert and I learned my first 5 years ago. But I often say that I'm awful, because I haven't progressed very rapidly, it's tough when you don't have anyone to teach you even push you. So some of the other guys on the lake might take offense to me saying I am awful when they are worse, or me wanting to ride somewhere else because the riders on my lake are awful (I would never actually say that). I'm not calling them out as I don't think Mr. Butler was doing, I'm expressing frustration at the slow progression from me or anyone else on my lake. Nicola has pushed womens riding like almost none before her, I'm sure she is dying for another girl, a healthy Dallas whoever, to push her, so that they can both get better and make the sport better. I don't see how anyone can take offense to that.

(Message edited by rico80 on July 16, 2008)
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-16-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
I don't think the guy should apologize...they are his thoughts and it's his freedom to express them that makes sites like this worth logging on to... I just think he should probably remove himself from the spotlight a bit and let his daughter do her thing...he sounds like one of those crazy pageant moms.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
thank you sean you proved my point exactly for mr HH
Old    K.B.C.            07-16-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
"he sounds like one of those crazy pageant moms."

That's the way I've been seeing it also. This isn't the first time he has been at the center of something like this. Your daughter rips, just let her do her thing...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-16-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
"Your daughter rips, just let her do her thing"

In general I think its a good thing for pro riders and parents of pro riders to avoid getting caught up in a lot of wake forum controversy. It certainly won't help you. Especially if you're less than smooth with your words.

I've always respected Sovens dad for jumping in to set things straight, and bailing out without getting caught up in arguments. I'm sure he's wanted to delivery a keyboard beatdown to several "haters."
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-16-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-16-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
All I'm saying is womens riding in the UK won't get much better without the things we have here.Being fortunate is one of the main reasons.Instead of making offhand comments, why doesn't Nicola and her Dad go to the UK and up the riding interest, by giving clinics and so forth?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
You guys need to remember one thing here. This happened on a UK site. I probably did use a poor choice of words and I apologised. It's what I believe but I probably should not have said it.We had all moved on to other things. Helen (whoever she is) decided a public apology was necessary and knew I live here so decided, as the topic had died on the UK site, she would fire it up here. And she has succeeded.
Be honest, How many of you really care? Name me 5 female pro riders in Europe? (women)
These things get so out of hand they lose all meaning.Anyway ,I have apologised.
Remember the days when pro's would have a shocker and after the game apologise for letting their fans down.Do we now expect the fans have to apologise for having the temerity to be disappointed?

John, I don't know if you are joking but, again I am not talking about guys that ride because they love it. Loads of us accept mediocrity in some of the things we do because we know we will/can never get any better. But we do not expect people to look up to us and pay us good money to do it.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
HH. Speak to me. I know who you are and you know me.Offhand comments?? Clinics in the UK??.Where is all that money gonna come from?? And the boat?? You do not have the faintest idea what you are talking about. You seemed pretty annoyed that Nicola has had so much success.
Lots of people here in the U.S. have supported her so much and I am very,very grateful. They have helped her and she is, along with some of the other girls, pushing the sport. I am not going to apologise for that.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-16-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
No annoyance, you just said what I said earlier, where's the money, boats come from? They don't have the opportunities that are here. Unfortunate? Yes. Alot of comments on forums get misconstrued.Nicola is very fortunate to have had the backing she has, coaching, etc...She definitley wouldn't have had those things if she didn't come to the USA.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   

quote:

In general I think its a good thing for pro riders and parents of pro riders to avoid getting caught up in a lot of wake forum controversy. It certainly won't help you. Especially if you're less than smooth with your words.

My thoughts exactly.
Old     (dustin_w)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-16-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
If you can't take criticism, you shouldn't be a professional athlete. People get bent out of shape way too easily now a days. Sometimes the truth HURTS.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-16-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
Dustin almost all of the time the truth hurts!!
Sadly people cant take it and get made at someone else. Its takes a lot to look at your self in the mirror.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 4:06 PM Reply   
In the last 5 minutes I received an email from the head of UK Wakeboard saying that they have created a special dispensation for talented riders who are otherwise occupied, to be chosen on the National team,even if they do not compete in their home Nationals(which was always an absolute must) In short Nicola has been chosen for the UK team to compete in the European Championships in France. Can you imagine how many people are going to be hoping she doesn't win. Will there be anywhere on earth for me to hide if she doesn't?? Better bring your A game girl.Lol. I absolutely love this stuff.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
hey butler...

just give it up man...

your always going to have someone hate on your kid... I know i'd want to defend my child to the most extent. Being Nicola is good.... your always going to get some crap from other people.

It's like a Malibu guy talking a MC boat down.

just be glad your kid is going to be able to take care of ya when your retired! lol

dont worry about anyone else.... just do your thing and when someone hates on your daughter... just ignore it...

as long as she is boardin and doing as good as she has been doing, people are going to have opinions and voice them.

ya cant fight every fight for her.

I do understand wanting to take up for her though

people are going to assume that you have loads of money (refering to the clinic) you might have more than most here on wake world... but even that doesnt mean you can travel all over the world to "Boost the sport"

if they wanted to do better in europe.... they would. They have just as much money as people here in the states.

They of all people right now should be able to fly over here and go to OWC and practice with the US pros... the Euro is worth WAY WAY more than the dollar....
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
congrats on her making it. If you havent been to europe... its very nice.

you better put her practice in overtime! I would hate for her not to win after all of this happening on WW today.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-16-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
Chris,

My advice to you is not to get baited into pissing matches with the online community. You can never win and their very fickle. That's why so many Pro riders read these threads but never post.

Just my $.02
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
makes since steven.... who even knows if they read them...

I know if i was pro.... i wouldnt read them. Just do you thing.... and do what you do.... just make sure you do it good lol
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
I know and I have been told a thousand times to stay off here. But I love it. Sometimes you feel an initial flare of irritation with people but what does it matter in the big scheme of things. I don't agree with everybody (who does)but I don't hold any grudges either. Just a bunch of people throwing stuff out there to see what other people think.If you don't take it too seriously,what's the harm.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-16-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
"You can never win and their very fickle."

hopefully your 3,156 posts on here make you part of the fickle crowd Steven.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-16-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
Chris I happen to personally agree with you on everything you said, especially the level of women's professional riding in Europe and besides the top 5 girls, the states as well. The problem is that with your daughter killing it like she is, your comments come off as if you are on a high horse about her riding. At least that is the impression that I get and it does get kind of annoying but i know you mean no harm by it so it doesn't bother me (but it might bother other people). Nicola is by far the best female rider on tour right now, there isn't a girl close to her riding. She rides with technicality, power, and STYLE. Glides are not hard to learn but for some reason your daughter is the only one who took the crashes to learn them (I do not count dallas's OHH a glide, it is a raley with a late grab). Glides are expressions of style, basically I look at them as off axis grabs and that is how I try to express them in my riding.

Sure Emily beat Nicola in the last stop and I didn't see their runs but I guarantee Nicola's looked better. When Dallas reached a point where she thought no one could beat her, it seemed like she stopped learning tricks and only doing the ones that she knew would beat people. That IS NOT WAKEBOARDING AND IS NOT BEING AN EMBASSADOR. I can't stand watching her ride because of it. Nicola has the opportunity to truly show that girls can kill it on a wakeboard with some serious style, and its good to see that she brings all of those tricks to the water.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
well put kyle
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-16-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
3156 posts and I still haven't won one with Umali....
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
Kyle I agree with you 100%. I want Nicola to push it. Really push it. Contrary to what people might think I do not really push her. I never ever see her train. Maybe once or twice a month.I ask her about her trick runs in comps and sometimes give her advice. If she doesn't take it, fine.
The comments I make have got nothing to do with Nicola. It is all me and it is not because she is dominating.My outlook is not affected by what she is doing. I really and truly want to see the women step it up. All the women. I do not want to see Nicola doing the same trick run in 5 years time because nobody pushed her. Hell I don't want her doing the same trick run in 5 weeks time.
I do hear what you are saying Kyle and I do agree with you.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-16-2008, 5:45 PM Reply   
Well during competition season, it is hard to learn a new trick and incorporate it into your run. I just remember riding the cable with her at O-dub about a year ago being better than her (still thinking, man this chick rips) then I see her again a year later riding odub she is better than me!! She made some insane progression in one year, almost the same pace as Jimmy. She puts most of the male riders (including the good ones) to shame at OWC
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-16-2008, 11:49 PM Reply   
kyle i would have to disagree with "That IS NOT WAKEBOARDING AND IS NOT BEING AN EMBASSADOR"

Dallas takes here wakeboarding seriously and if she has an opportunity to win a contest. she'll ride to win. and theres nothing wrong with that because contests are one form of income for a professional rider. think about it. if you are way ahead of the other guys that wakeboard and youre in a contest. are you really going to try something that may risk falling? maybe you would, but i wouldnt recommend it when you are talking about your job
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-17-2008, 1:27 AM Reply   
Man... it's like a bunch of feuding siblings on that thread.

Bad form to all parties involved.
Old     (philuk)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-17-2008, 1:36 AM Reply   
Chris, I know Helen and this was nothing personal to you and especially nothing to do with your daughter as you mentioned. I know everyone in the UK is cheering her on and proud of what she is achieving. You are entitled to your opinion like anyone else and I don’t agree with some of the comments that have been thrown at you on this thread. I think everyone agrees the level of women’s riding in Europe needs to improve but your choice of words is what caused the issue. You have said sorry for your choice of words which I personally think was the point of the thread so that should now be the end of it. It is good that you are so passionate about the sport but think maybe think about how you word things :-)
Hope things continue to go well for your daughter.