Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
i was wakeboarding on a new board yesterday. well i landed wrong and something happened where i injured my stomach bad like a severe pain in my lower stomach. it still hurt bad today i can barley bend. anyone have this happen? how long does it take to heal? can i wake board with the injury or should i just wait til it heals?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-05-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
I just rode for the first time today after doing the same thing. First off, make sure it's not a hernia... if you are sure of that, then wait till it heals. I waited 3 weeks. but, i rode a few times again after i first did it and made it a lot worse.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-05-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
depends on how bad. I had a minor tear last year that I never let rest completely. Took about a month to fully heal. I started skating about a week into it, just couldn't handle not riding at all.

the skate was less strain on it because you stay balanced. I wasn't slashing the wake or anything just taking it easy.

**If you think you're falling, BAIL.** keeping handle on the way down is a GREAT way to keep injuring it..
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-05-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
I did the same thing on Fathers day and although I did board for a few minutes this past Friday I'm not 100% yet. I was in major pain and couldn't sit up in bed for a week. I think another week and I should be 100%
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
is your guys all swelled up mine is swelling pretty bad how do you know if its a hernia? mine also hurt really bad when i sneeze. should i go to the doctor i usally don't even when i minor bones but i'm afraid of internal problems i was just guessing that its a torn muscle.
Old     (hk308)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
If you have abdominal pain with swelling....go to the ER!!

Is your stomach soft or hard? If its hard then you might have internal bleeding.

A hernia is usually pressure from the inside forcing intestines out through a weak point in the abdominal wall.

Get it checked out, it can get serious if you have an intestinal rupture.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-05-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
If it's swelling, go to the doctor. Swelling could indicate a hernia, and bulging could mean your intestines are bulging through a tear in the stomach wall. Don't risk it if it's swelling, this could lead to alot of things not so great. Go see the doctor ASAP.

I also tore a muscle in my abdomen, it hurt like hell. I tensed up when hitting the water on a fall. It took a month to become reasonably bearable, but I had no swelling and yes it hurt to sneeze or try to get up out of bed. Strengthen the stomach muscles, crunches etc.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-05-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
GO TO THE DOCTOR OR ER NOW!!!
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
i got a docters appt. for tomarrow at 11am
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-05-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
Best of luck james. Nothing you can do today?? If it get's worse, call the doc and ask to see him today and explain the situation or head to the ER. Don't wanna see you get any complications.
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       07-05-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
i'm just pissed i just got a new boat then finnaly in washington we get temperatures above 60 for the next 2 weeks and i'm out on some stupid injury. and i suppose i'll have to sit out for 4 weeks or more and by the time i'm ready to wakeboard there only be a week or two left of nice weather. summers in washington suck it's like july to august.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-05-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Did the same thing somewhat, pulled the stomach muscle the first or second weekend out and it plagued me all summer.

It's my own fault, I was out of shape, not a good thing to be, wakeboarding is brutal. Once I recovered and stayed in shape, it does not bother me.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-05-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Did the same thing yesterday morning. Rode again in the evening and rode one into the water holding the rope. When the board hit the water behind me (and stretched me out a bit), boy did I feel the sharp pain in muscle. So I would second Nacho's advice of "bail". Too bad fat doesn't help protect the muscle......

Just another reminder that I'm a charter member of the old fat guy club.
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-05-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
I had a slight tear in mine from wakeboarding (even though I landed the trick) and it hurt move and especially to sneeze for almost 2 months. I tried to ride after I thought it was better and it only got worse again. Basically, don't treat it like it's 100% until it doesn't hurt to sneeze.
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-05-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
I did the same thing, kept riding until I couldn't stand it anymore. The area was swollen and sore for quite a while, and now I only have a 5-1/2 pack

(Message edited by team_o on July 05, 2007)
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-05-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
I did the same thing about a month ago. If it's a hernia you should be able to feel a bump under your skin, right? Mine was tender around the belly button area(even somewhat numb). Hopefully I'm good cuz' we're going out on Sunday.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-05-2007, 9:47 PM Reply   
I had a weird fall & wrenched my ankle & I guess pulled my stomach muscle. It felt like I did 1000 sit ups all at once. It hurt like hell for over a week, it hurt to do everything. I never realized that you use your stomach muscle for like...everything. I hope you recovery quickly.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-06-2007, 12:32 AM Reply   
dude same thing happened to me but no swelling. If you have swelling go to the dog. I have no idea what pulls stomach muscles but i let go of the rope and it still hurt like hell. I couldnt even get in the boat. but no bruising was noticed
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
I've had what felt like a tear after doing a TS backroll years back. Hurt like a mother puffer (I remember trying to sit up in bed = especially painfull). It pays to get in shape before you go hucking sheet behind the wake....curls, bent rows, situps and a lot of leg stretching is a good start. All you need is a couple 25 lb or so dumbells. Also, it helps to warm up behind the boat before launching the mad air.

Good luck and let us know what doc says.
Old     (holloway0105)      Join Date: May 2007       07-06-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
Go get some of those heat pads that you can stick to your back, and stick it on your stomach. It keeps the area nice and loose and so every time you move it doesn't feel like your abs are ripping apart. Worked for me!
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       07-06-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
thanks for the advise sounds like a familiar problem i'm still trying to lose weight from winter and have been work out down to 190 from 205 but i can never seem to get my ab's in shape and i do crunchs every day.
Old     (reddig82)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-06-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
You guys have me worried now. I have some of the same symptons right now. I think it is just my out of shape abs being really sore from attempting to barefoot off of the boom. Mine are really sore higher up. Like right at the top of my abs. I think mine is just soreness though as it fades after a hot shower and only REALLY hurts when you stretch them out. What do you guys think? I figure it is way too high to be a hurnea (sp?).
Old     (reddig82)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-06-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
Oh, and mine did not hurt till the next day when I woke up. My guess is that I am more out of shape than I would like to admit.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
Sounds like just strained abdominals to me, John.

Barefootin' is fun, eh?!
Old     (reddig82)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-06-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
Yes, at the time it was great. I might should have waited till the weekend where I would at least have a day or two to recoop before back to work though. I do not get it. I can slolam and wakeboard all day long and not be sore or tired in the least bit. But I guess I just used my abs alot more pulling myself up and twisting around and stuff off of the boom. I am paying for my playing now. Any suggestions to make things easier for me. I wonder if the heat pad thing would help?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-06-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
I don't know - I think it's just conditioning. I've done a lot of barefooting in my day so I know it requires a lot of core strength...more so than slalom or boarding probably, but of course that all depends on how you do it.

I'm a little more concerned for James since he said he does crunches every day....leading me to believe something else is going on.
Old     (reddig82)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-06-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
I too am worried that he might have a hurnea. A friend of mine had one the he let get out of hand almost. I know it rough on him. I can not remember how he got his. Barefooting is fun and I plan on continuing to try and learn the sport. I will be waiting a while and be conditioning my abs quite a bit more as well. I guess all of those 12oz. curls I do so often are not helping my Abs.
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       07-06-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
well i went to the doc and i started feeling alot beter today he confirmed that it was just a stretched stomach muscle i'm glad that it not a hurnia. i do crunchs but i'm still out of chape just trying to get back in shape for the last month my abs don't get sore from riding all day just my thighs. my abs only hurt because i held on to the rope on a bad landing. thanks again guys i am trading in the obrien natural and getting the watson hopefully i will have more control on that board. the natural is the fastest craziest lightest board me and 5 friends have rode.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-06-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
Upload

So.....here's mine! (sorry about all the hair)

Upload

Hard front edge faceplant, bindings too tight - did not come out, LOTSA pain! About 2 months off the water.

Good luck. I feel for ya!
Old     (fastcrazyhurt)      Join Date: May 2007       07-06-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
mines swelled up but not black and blue geez thats a bad one. i'm going to try and board on monday maybe
Old     (reddig82)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-06-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
OMG I will shut up now. That is gruesome. Is that just a bruise? Man, you got my sympathies. I would imagine that hurts. IS that recent or how long ago?
Old    kidrik            07-06-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
OHHHHHHH.....that's your "stomach"....?

By the way, I strained my abdominals last year, and was out for one month, but after seeing Buzz's bruised ass, umm, I mean abs......my stories not worth hearing!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-06-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
Ha! Rik, I have pics of a bruised a$$ too from looping a bike in my back yard, but I will not post those.

John,
This happened about 2 years ago. This pic is about 7 days after it happened. I know it looks like I got hit with something, but the bruise is only from the tear underneath. Fortunately no hernia, but sure felt like one! As you can see, my abs were in absolute top physical condition (just kidding - crappy abs probably contributed to the injury). Realized the abs are REALLY important to keep in shape. I guess I needed to find out the hard way.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-06-2007, 10:50 PM Reply   
Dude that looks painful, I cant beleive all that hair & the elastic waistband didnt protect you. j/k
Old     (cake)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
I ripped a lower abdominal muscle, the one that runs at an angle, 4 years ago on a bad backroll after I had ridden all week and was sore and not loosened up before I tried it. I was in so much pain I had to go to the ER to get a shot for the pain. DR told me no exercise for 3-4 months to let it heal. Took 6-7 months to feel good and I was 34 and fairly good shape at the time. When I lay on my stomach and flex the area that was torn protrudes a good inch or so higher than the left side.