Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-19-2013, 2:57 PM Reply   
Anyone know of any place to store a boat indoors in the St. Louis area? I just bought a VLX and can't store it (or any other wake boat) in my 20' garage. I've been looking but haven't found many good storage options so far.

The only one option I've found is full until people start pulling some boats out of winter storage in late May or maybe even June.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-19-2013, 9:26 PM Reply   
Have you tried Stateamind? They offer indoor storage.
Old     (riderx77)      Join Date: May 2001       03-20-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
I moved to St. Louis (Ballwin) last year and was looking for a place to ride close to the area. I saw a little marina on the Meramec River in Fenton and saw a 1980's 2001 Nautique down there but the river level was very low last year. The Missouri looks rideable but I've never seen any pleasure boat traffic on there at all. Do you ride around here at all or go down to Table Rock/Ozarks?

Kirk
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-20-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
Not sure where you are located or where you intend to ride, but I am know of some in Alton, IL on Broadway. PM me if you're interested.

RiderX77 - Making an effort to ride on the Missouri/Meramac River is a decision you will quickly regret. Stick to the Mississippi River and you will be good to go for the most part. Even on the Mississippi I would do some exploratory missions so you can have a look around and check out spots. Both rivers are full of underwater rock/wing dikes, so it is best to know where you are going.
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-20-2013, 8:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
Have you tried Stateamind? They offer indoor storage.
I'm familiar with Stateamind and knew they do outdoor storage, but I did not know they did indoor storage. I did a quick look at their website, and it looks like their indoor storage is rack storage. I may still check with them, but I'd rather not do rack storage for the following three reasons:

1) I'd still have to find a place to store the trailer.
2) Not able to get boat out of storage whenever you want.
3) No easy access to boat while in storage.

It still could be an option, but I also know of a couple of other places I could do rack storage if I were willing to do that. Thanks for the info though.

Quote:
I moved to St. Louis (Ballwin) last year and was looking for a place to ride close to the area. I saw a little marina on the Meramec River in Fenton and saw a 1980's 2001 Nautique down there but the river level was very low last year. The Missouri looks rideable but I've never seen any pleasure boat traffic on there at all. Do you ride around here at all or go down to Table Rock/Ozarks?
I'm in St. Charles. I've heard some people ride down on the Meramac, but I've never been invited to ride with anyone down there.

I know the Missouri has been ridden before, but I've personally never seen anything but barges and fishing boats, and I cross the bridges over the Missouri frequently. I've checked out all the ramps I've been able to find, and none of them are particularly appealing. None of them have docks for example. The ramps are used 99.9% for fishing, and the guys just beach their boats. The Missouri was very low all last summer, and it's still pretty low. What makes it appealing to me is how close it is to my house, but with the current low water level, the lack of any docks for loading and unloading (no marinas that I'm aware of either), and the fact that I may not be storing my boat near my house, I may not even try to ride the Missouri.

Most likely I will be doing most of my riding on the Mississippi--which is probably where 98% of the recreational boating in the St. Louis area happens. There are some nice lakes in Illinois that I've ridden on, but they are farther away. So that's more of a weekend camping trip type thing unless you're riding with someone else who has their boat out there. I've also ridden up on the Illinois River before, which was also a weekend camping trip type thing. According to to rumor, the Kaskaskia also offers some nice riding, and I may like to check that out some time.

If you're looking for a rider sometime you might check with me--especially if you're going some place I haven't been before (e.g. Meramac or Kaskaskia). I'm not really sure what kind of crew I'm going to have yet, but there's a chance I may be looking for a core rider or two who are interested in getting up early on weekends or riding on week days to get the smooth water.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-20-2013, 10:57 AM Reply   
At least last year Stateamind offered on trailer indoor storage as I know my parents stored their Malibu out there.

I have seen some people ride the Meramec at the I-55 bridge when the water is extremely high. When I was working out in Arnold in '08ish I remember seeing a wakeboat headed east from the I-55 bridge, but this was when the water was so high it was in the baseball fields there. Most of the time it is extremely low.

I live in O'Fallon, IL so we hit the Kaskaskia out of New Athens most of the time (about 30 minutes from my house to boat in the water). Of the rivers, it's my preference as water level seems relatively consistant, very little barge traffic, etc. Most of the boats out there are recreational and this is where I have found the largest collection of riders. We usually head south from New Athens all the way to Evansville.

I have been on the Illinois at Pere Marquette down to the confluence. Illinois is nice, but much wider at this point. I'm sure there is more protected water as you head north. It was extremely hard to find a launch when we were out there in October of '11, but now they have finished a really nice ramp at Pere Marquette.

I am personally not a commercial water guy and not being from the area originally the Mississippi still scares the crap out of me. I know there are a number of sloughs if you know where you're going. Depths seem pretty consistant above the Alton dam.

My favorite riding place within a distance you can make a day trip is Lake Kinkaid in southern Illinois. It's about 2 hours from my house, but is easily accessible down 3 from Jeffereson Barracks bridge off 255 for you Missouri side guys. Clean water, large lake, can get busy on the weekends but doesn't seem to get going until later in the day. I have also heard that Crab Orchard down there is very nice as well, but haven't personally been on it. Carlysle is a quick shot for us, about 20 minutes, but is dirty and usually busy. Can find a nice set in the evenings during the week.

Table Rock is by far the best bet for anything more than a day trip.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-20-2013, 2:26 PM Reply   
Rumor has it people will ride now on then on the Missouri in St. Peters ... but ... eek.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1122999398
Why isn't anybody mentioning Clarence Cannon. If I still lived in the area, that would be my choice over all of the above mentions (Meramec, Alton lake - Peruque creek, Illinois river above Grafton, Carlyle, Kaskaskia river). I know nothing of Shelbyville.
When I grew up in St. Louis, every 5 years or so the Post-Dispatch would run a picture of a skier ... during Mississippi flood ... on the Des Peres River. I've heard that called, alcohol in the ears time.

Back in the day, Creve Couer lake was in play. From Shaun Murray's Dad.
"Ryan - That sounds inviting..... sounds like alcohol in the ears time.... very much like Creve couer Lake in St Louis - They had the pro tour there in the early 90's and I volunteered to help set the jump and slalom Course (did I say "Slalom?") - After two days, the guy helping me broke out with a horrendous rash on his chest - it was then we saw the "Do Not Swim" signs."
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1059753341
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-20-2013, 3:14 PM Reply   
John, I assume by Clarence Cannon your talking Mark Twain. Probably an ok bet during the week but its a madhouse on the weekend.