Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-19-2013, 9:04 AM Reply   
I currently have been riding boat about 12 yrs and ride a boat specific board for that, the last two seasons ive started riding the cable pretty regularly and have been on a 2011 Watson hybrid 143 and will be looking to replace it soon..

so I test rode the 140 LF peak and the ronix von da shnook and liked both of them they seem to fit my riding style( or lack thereof)

ive found many good deals online for both these online models but a cable operator at an LF sponsored park( so its unbiased) recommended the slingshot reflex, said it was best board he ever ridden..

I know slingshot is very flexible but has little bottom feature if any at all..

Im a beginner/int cable rider, have a few inverts off kickers and doing only basics on rails so keep that in mind..im not doing air tricks yet or presses etc

so?

can you offer opinions and likes and dislikes and comparisons between the other boards and the slingshot reflex(2013) models..??

TIA
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-19-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
I love the Watoson Hybrid, can I ask why you want to move away from that board. I ride that board also and love it.

For what it's worth:
The 2013 WWA Wake Park World Championships, just held in Abu Dhabi, the entire podium was riding the 2014 LF SuperTrip.

Video is here:
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-19-2013, 4:07 PM Reply   
Obrien Baker tracks super well on the water and has good flex on rails, you should definitely check it out
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-19-2013, 10:40 PM Reply   
I would definitely try riding a Slingshot at the park for comparison to the LF boards.

It is all personal preference. SS makes both featureless, more flexible boards and boards that are similar to the flex of the LF park boards and with bottom features. But what I notice the most is that LF and SS slide quite differently on obstacles with the LF having more grip or friction and the SS boards having less friction.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-20-2013, 7:52 AM Reply   
Vision that's actually what I know so givin that info is the sling shot better for sliders and kickers given the less grip or are they harder to control?? I know LF has that flex board I saw the other day called the Slab that looks just like a SS Reflex so im sure they realize its a need. I wonder how they compare?

I worry that the plus's the super slick no profile bottoms add to getting speed on sliders and kickers could make it harder to stomp landings??
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       10-21-2013, 8:07 AM Reply   
IMO you're over thinking it a bit.

When I first started riding cable I was riding an S4 with grind base (also my boat board at the time) so with molded in fins my rail riding was pretty limited, harder to press and if doing boardslides I could feel the fins click across gaps of plastic. But barely noticed them on the kickers. And was a great board for learning my air tricks.

Since then I've gone through a Ronix Phoenix '11 (the first year it came out), and now one a SS Shreadtown '13. Both essentially Moderate-flex boards with featureless bottoms with removable fins. I've ridden with and without fins to see how it would go and felt the my air tricks were a tad bit bigger, but since I already learned the release motion i just ride without them. Both flex pretty well seem great on rails, though I like the kickers better and you're on a kicker such a short amount of time the differences between these boards is pretty minimal.

As for the peak, I rode the '12? (one with the bird on it) my buddy let me borrow it for a couple laps and it is SUPER flexy which was fun on the rails, but took some time to get used to. My air tricks were pathetic on this board, but I think I just still getting used to the board and the way it responded to al that pressure. Kickers felt weird at first and I really had to work since the board just flexed and absorbed the kicker.

So back to my first point, you might be over thinking it. I bet you'll love whatever board you pick, because you'll spend so much time on it you'll learn how to compensate for the pros/cons of each board. And for the stickyness(grip or lack there of) you might be able to notice that when you switch between boards on the same day, but once again you'll learn how the board reactes to the feautres and start progressing from there. As for which one to pick, i think it will really depend on your style. Do you want to focus on air tricks, kickers, rails more of an all around. Think about what features you have at the cable park to work with, and then the all important graphics (And which one will match your boardshorts...)! haha
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-21-2013, 10:00 AM Reply   
The Slingshot Whip seems to be what you're looking for. It has semi-fins, and is stable and tracks more similar to what you'd find in your boat board. It's also continuous rocker, which seems to cater better for cable, and is a great board to learn air tricks on if you're interested. The fins still don't get hung up on the rails though, so no worrying about that.
Old     (BuyWake_Rhett)      Join Date: May 2013       10-21-2013, 1:01 PM Reply   
+1 on the Whip and the Reflex.

I've ridden everything you've mentioned except the new LF Peak. When it comes to flex, I'm a big fan of Slingshot's construction process. Their boards just seem to have a livelier feel than lot of other flex constructions. Once I was told that the reason that most SS boards are void of excessive bottom features is because a flat unobstructed base preserves the core's natural flex. It makes sense.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-21-2013, 2:01 PM Reply   
I rode a Whip at the cable for a while and was very happy with it. I felt like I needed some more grip for air tricks so didn't stay on it. I was able to throw air tricks and the board was excellent otherwise.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-21-2013, 2:36 PM Reply   
Check out CTRL
Old     (ShredNCwake)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-21-2013, 5:20 PM Reply   
I have ridden a few boards and personally ride Slingshot myself. I currently ride a '13 Reflex but will be getting on a Windsor very soon. The '14 SS boards are sick. The Windsor is an awesome board, kind of reminds me of the '13 Peak without being as sticky on rails and with an all-wood core. Can't speak for all boards, but for ride-ability and durability, SS won't steer you wrong.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-21-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
I've ridden the CTRL Supreme. Great board. I've owned the CTRL RX. Not suitable for the cable if you spend a lot of time on the obstacles, though great for air tricks or the boat.

Hey ShredNCWake, I noticed my Peak is a bit sticky on the sliders too.
Old     (ShredNCwake)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-21-2013, 6:10 PM Reply   
Yeah John, the Peak is a great board... but if you are coming off something as fast as a Slingshot or Humanoid, the 13' Peak feels like a glue stick
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-23-2013, 8:28 AM Reply   
As a beginner, slick is easier on the rails when learning. For air tricks, stiff and grippy is easier when learning. However, once you have the fundamentals for both down, I would go with something middle of the road. I ride a Tona POP 142 wakestyle kiteboard. Its a really solid compromise between the two. You are welcome to try it anytime you like.

When you decide you are 100% determined to learn air tricks hit me up. I have a suggestion that will help. Requires a lil travel, but I guarantee you stick stuff. I took my lil brother (who rides boat about once every 3-4 years, can do backrolls and tantrums) to the cable, and he stuck his first raley ever on the first lap of cable riding. Granted, he is an athlete with no fear.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-23-2013, 8:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ssr View Post
Granted, he is an athlete with no fear.
The first and foremost requirement for fast progression. Unfortunately, I don't possess that quality.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-23-2013, 3:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
The first and foremost requirement for fast progression. Unfortunately, I don't possess that quality.
for sure fear will hold most people back!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-23-2013, 3:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ssr View Post
As a beginner, slick is easier on the rails when learning. For air tricks, stiff and grippy is easier when learning. However, once you have the fundamentals for both down, I would go with something middle of the road. I ride a Tona POP 142 wakestyle kiteboard. Its a really solid compromise between the two. You are welcome to try it anytime you like.

When you decide you are 100% determined to learn air tricks hit me up. I have a suggestion that will help. Requires a lil travel, but I guarantee you stick stuff. I took my lil brother (who rides boat about once every 3-4 years, can do backrolls and tantrums) to the cable, and he stuck his first raley ever on the first lap of cable riding. Granted, he is an athlete with no fear.
good points..
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-24-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
Bill - Are you able to find a 2013 140 Peak? Jordan got me one this summer but I know they are very hard to come by.

I've ridden the SS Recoil, LF Tex, and now the LF Peak at the parks. I think you should demo the Tex if you haven't already and the Super Trip. The Tex doesn't have a lot of flex but does land super soft and also has a couple of small molded fins that give it a little bit of traction. It is really the best of both worlds. I do love the extra flex of my Peak for rails but the landings are a bit rougher.

You should really demo a SS before you buy one. I completely agree with Vision. The SS boards slide much faster IMO than the LF boards. I think this makes it much HARDER to be consistent and progress your rail riding. Their isn't much forgiveness if you aren't really balanced over the board. The LF is slides so smoothly but doesn't feel like I'm on a sheet of ice.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-24-2013, 7:59 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried a CTRL with the lift fun system? I'm kinda curious how well that works or if it is notes gimmick.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-24-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
For me the slippery on the rails the better. Unfortunately that's usually counter to the grip I need for the air tricks. I'm riding a Witness Grind right now. Has more grip in the water and not too sticky on the sliders. Very durable too.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-25-2013, 12:58 PM Reply   
Yeah the slicker the better on rails. What dude said above about slick boards hindering progression makes no sense.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-27-2013, 9:11 AM Reply   
I guess ill head over to a SS park like Allen and demo the reflex and recoil and see how they ride with my bindings on them..only true way to know if it will work for me or not..
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-27-2013, 9:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
Bill - Are you able to find a 2013 140 Peak? Jordan got me one this summer but I know they are very hard to come by.

I've ridden the SS Recoil, LF Tex, and now the LF Peak at the parks. I think you should demo the Tex if you haven't already and the Super Trip. The Tex doesn't have a lot of flex but does land super soft and also has a couple of small molded fins that give it a little bit of traction. It is really the best of both worlds. I do love the extra flex of my Peak for rails but the landings are a bit rougher.

You should really demo a SS before you buy one. I completely agree with Vision. The SS boards slide much faster IMO than the LF boards. I think this makes it much HARDER to be consistent and progress your rail riding. Their isn't much forgiveness if you aren't really balanced over the board. The LF is slides so smoothly but doesn't feel like I'm on a sheet of ice.
I already demoed the peak and the ronix el von da shnook and liked them both they are high on my list..they actually ride almost the same so if I cant find a peak ill buy the Ronix..

The TEX sucks at parks seriously its a boat board period that's why Tom rides a super trip on rails and kickers , its way stiff and bucks weird off kickers.. hated it..

I may try the Trip as well but it doesn't seem much different then the Watson hybrid ..

its demo time!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2013, 9:46 PM Reply   
slingshot came around this time last year and did a dfw/bsr demo tour
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-09-2013, 6:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
slingshot came around this time last year and did a dfw/bsr demo tour
ill keep an eye out for another one.. Ive been to 2 LFFL and one Ronix demo, definitly like the free demos..