Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 16, 2003

Old    simba            06-12-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
I've been riding a few months now and I used to not be able to hardly walk when I was done riding. Then I got to where I couldnt even tell the next day I rode the day before and its been that way for about a month.

Then I started jumping a lot higher and my friend started doing the same thing. I still do not get sore all over my body but by about my 4th run my hips start to hurt bad. I can really feel the pain when shaking the wakeboard off my feet. My friend, whos now doing the same thing as me has this same pain and yet we never had it before. Anyone else had this? What is it and when does it go away?

We both get it on both hips, it doesnt feel like a muscle but more like our bones or something lol.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-12-2003, 1:04 PM Reply   
Is the pain just in your hip or can you feel it in your thighs/legs?
Old    damnation            06-12-2003, 1:09 PM Reply   
I have TONS of pain in one hip, but that is from a previous injury. It probably has to do with using muscles that you don't normally use or it could be a ligament/tendon thing. Supplements like condroiton (sp?) could help with that. The only other thing I could think of would be that your bindings are ducked out too far, but if both you and your friend are having the same problem, I doubt that is what it is (unless both of you are riding the same board).
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-12-2003, 1:19 PM Reply   
Glucosamine Chondroitin complex is supposed to help rebuild carilage.
The only reason I know how to spell it Dave is cause I've got some sitting right here next to me ;->
If the pain runs down the side of your thigh and the back of your calf it could be related to the sciatic nerve.
Old    welchag04            06-12-2003, 2:09 PM Reply   
http://www.centerpulseorthopedics.com/us/products/hip/natural_hip/index
Old    simba            06-12-2003, 2:35 PM Reply   
it is in my upper thighs/legs/lower hip and we both do have the bindings ducked out all the way, is that the problem?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-12-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
you take 4 sets a day?
Old    damnation            06-12-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
If your bindings are ducked all the way out, then yes, it could be the problem. Mine aren't even close to all the way out. Try rotating them inward some and see if that helps. Usually the first place that pain occurs is in the knees from improper binding placement, but I guess if your knees are stong it could propogate to the hip area.

Jason, let me know when a surgeon tells you that you may need a hip replacement and if you still think that is funny.
Old    welchag04            06-12-2003, 3:19 PM Reply   
Believe me Dave, I am fully aware of how severe a hip replacement can seem to someone who needs it. But the chances of anyone on this board having had one are slim to NONE. Just trying to interject a little humor.
Old    simba            06-12-2003, 3:46 PM Reply   
I have hyperlite byerly bindings and they dont seem to duck out too far compared to other bindings but ill try to turn them in, how about stance? I have them all the way out, is that bad too?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-12-2003, 3:50 PM Reply   
4 sets a day is a lot. I would feel broken too. I've never heard of this injury before.
Old    simba            06-12-2003, 3:57 PM Reply   
err 4 sets i mean by the 4th run, i usually do 6-7 runs a day when i go
Old     (cbv)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-12-2003, 5:30 PM Reply   
I have a left hip pain but its not from riding (from martial arts and aggressive skating injurys, oh and old age :-( ) but it really doesnt bother me riding.

We only get to go out once a week and end up riding for approx 8 to 10 hours (most of the time its only my friend and I). We are muscle sore (mostly the neck tho) but thats about it.

I have my bindings (my friend as well) duck out very little (proper stancing from martial arts helped me decided there) and the stance for us is all the way out (we both are tall).
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-12-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
I'm 39 and have done years of martial arts,and I get the same thing.IT'S THE HIP FLEXORS!!!!!! If it hurts when you jump or when you try to kick the board off,thats it.You need to start stretching ,and strenghtening the area.The hip flexors arethe part of your leg where the crease is when you sit down,kinda where your pockets are.If this is it let me know and I'll tell you what to do.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-12-2003, 8:32 PM Reply   
My front hip used to nag me a bit after a good day of riding, but I moved bindings around (made them less ducked) and it was magically gone.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-12-2003, 8:42 PM Reply   
take Thanes, Rich's and Davids advice. All good.
Glucosamine is great.
Binding position is a good thing to look into.
And hip flexors, you should be stretching them anyway. They're important.
Also bend your knees a little more on landings.
Old    damnation            06-13-2003, 5:42 AM Reply   
Actually Jason, there is a guy on here (I guess he is still around) who had BOTH hips replaced. Unfortunately I will have mine replaced one day, but luckily not today.

I know you were just trying to be humorous and maybe I was a little harsh. I just hate thinking about it.
Old    welchag04            06-13-2003, 6:16 AM Reply   
Don't worry Dave, you can't offend me. I was just trying to explain myself. There really is a guy on here who had hip replacements? If he has done ANY wakeboarding, or for that matter any other watersports, I guarantee he is going have to have them replaced again. It is an absolute. These things are made for old people. It sounds harsh but its true. Most of the people who have the replacements are in so much pain prior to surgery, that when the replacement alleviates the pain they think they have a hip they can do stuff on. So then they wakeboard or run or do exciting old people stuff or whatever and end up having to go through the surgery all over again. So when you do finally get your new hip...take it eeeeeeeaaasy!
Old    damnation            06-13-2003, 7:32 AM Reply   
If I remember correctly, the guy (not an old guy, I believe he was in his mid 30's?) was looking for alternatives to wakeboarding, like foiling or wakesurfing, that wasn't so harsh. Hopefully it will be a long time before I need a replacement, but in the event that it happens sooner than I want, I'm going to test medical technology. Wakeboarding may be difficult, but I'll still ride moto-x! Maybe I'll pick up foiling too. The only problem I see is that titanium is much stronger than bone and thus you run the risk of shattering the pelvis.

Heck, if the guy on here with a prosthetic leg can wakeboard, I figure someone with a fake hip could too, agree?

Oh, by the way, I was initially worried that maybe you were some 13 year old smartass who didn't understand anything about the situation, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

(Message edited by damnation on June 13, 2003)
Old    welchag04            06-13-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
Well I AM still a smartass but I am a biomedical engineering student at Texas A&M and I work at the company that makes those hips, among other things. I've gotten to see them implanted in live surgery and everything, as well as finding out how often they fail from over use. And yes the problem is usually with bone and not titanium...unfortunately nobody can make bone better than it is. Anyways......
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-13-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
Not even DuPont?
I thought the material they used in hip replacement was plastic and not titanium.
Old    damnation            06-13-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
David, there are several materials to choose from, depending on your activity level and age.

Well Jason, since you will one day be a biomedical engineer, I'm counting on you to make the necessary leaps and bounds in medical science, ok?
Old    damnation            06-13-2003, 10:41 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, I guess I should have added budget to that list as well. Titanium aint cheap!
Old    stormrider            06-13-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
I can totally relate. I ride HS with my right leg back. I get pretty decent air and my right hip is sore. Sometimes when I move my leg around things "click." My guess is the constant pounding created by the landings has caused some swelling in the hip socket and/or irritation to the tendons and ligaments. My plan is to monitor the pain, and try and ride through it. My sense with wakeboarding is that it exploits weak areas of the body, and the body fights back by building those areas up (Gluc/Con helps the helping); it's kind of a chain reaction thing.

Key may be to monitor and work through at a safe, rasonable pace.

On another note, I'm thinking of riding with decent knee braces, like Charley Patterson, just as a preventative measure. So many stories of blown out knees from hyper-extending-- something that can be mechanically avoided except in the most extreme of cases. Helmet with earflaps a must as well based on the recent posts about ear damage. Basically, increase the odds of riding longer and progressing farther by not getting knocked out of the game. Don't want to look like a moron, but I don't think Charley Patterson looks wierd.

Ah, so often with this awesome, awesome sport the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!