Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-11-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever had the center drain plug work itself loose while driving your boat?

This past weekend while riding at the delta I had my center plug unscrew on its own. We had been riding and floating for about 5 or 6 hours when we noticed that the boat was starting to have difficulty getting up on plane. I thought that maybe we had something wrapped around the prop so I decided I would go under the boat and check it out. When I got back to the swim platform I noticed that the rubrail was almost completely under water. I had my buddy turn on the bilge pump and open up the engine cover. When we opened the cover we had water all the way up to the bottom of the floor board and we could see water pouring in where the plug had recently been. Luckily I had a spare plug and we were able to seal the drain. After about 15 minutes of running the bilge and using a fatsac pump we had all of the water out of the boat, and we were able to continue riding.

Kind of a scary experience. If I didn't have a spare plug I would have to imagine that my boat would be at the bottom of the delta right now. I always check my drain plug and I personally put it in myself everytime. I'm just not sure how it could have worked itself loose. Anyone else ever had this happen?

On another note, has anyone ever allowed water to go into the bilge on purpose to increase their wake size? The wake was huge on the boat until it got so full that we couldn't plane out any longer.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-11-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
Well, if you wouldn't have had another plug, you could have rigged something to decrease the water intake enough to pump it out and get back to shore, so I doubt it would be at the bottom of the delta. No, I have never had one work loose. I have forgot to put one in, stoped the boat, and water rushed up to my feet. I just beached it and stuck a shirt in it until I got it low enough to get back to the dock.
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       07-11-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
You can remove the rear plug and go about 20-25 mph and gravity will do the rest. You just have to keep moving and get to the shore/trailer asap.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-11-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
YUP! My Nautique had that happen. I was riding and noticed the ballast pumps on for a very long time. Turned out to be the center drain plug. At least with two Rule 1100's the boat would take a very long time to sink. The plug was a T-handle mounted on the inside, so it is easy to put back in.

Edit: "On another note, has anyone ever allowed water to go into the bilge on purpose to increase their wake size?"

We used to do that when riding behind an outboard. Worked great, but there was nothing to worry about getting wet.

(Message edited by peter_c on July 11, 2007)
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-11-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
My guess is you will be needing a new starter before long. Chances are it got wet and will fail within the next year. Just an fyi so be ready for that.
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-11-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
what did it to to the wake???
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-11-2007, 1:38 PM Reply   
Same here. Happened to me on Saturday. Not completely out, but a rotation and a half from coming out. we were out for about 5 hours and must have worked itself loose somehow. Before, I would "finger" tighten (not hand tighten) the plug because it always seems tighter when we pull it out. Guess i'll be crankin down on her from now on...
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-11-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
I thought you were going to patent your own gravity fed... pure vert ballast system!
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       07-11-2007, 3:02 PM Reply   
Robert,

You're local so call Larson Marine in Rancho Cordova. They have these drain plugs that a guy makes that never come out of the hole. You unscrew it until it gets tight and its hollow with holes in it to drain the water, then you just tighten with your hand. It works AWESOME.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-11-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
"On another note, has anyone ever allowed water to go into the bilge on purpose to increase their wake size? The wake was huge on the boat until it got so full that we couldn't plane out any longer."
Had this happen last year we turned on the ballast and forgot about it... an hour later we go try to wake surf and the boat would not plain. Over all I would not do it the alternator gets wet and all that stuff and its unneeded stress on the motor imo.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-11-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
the rear plug on my SAN was loose once after a day of riding....very loose! From that day on I always tighten her down good!!
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-11-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
auto bilge is your friend.