Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (denjoe)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-13-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
My wife just got me the Rebel XT and new 70-300mm Canon lens with IS. I love the camera, but have no clue how to use it.

I saw Gary's camera at the sausage fest, and the kind of pictures it took! I am anxious to learn how to use the beast!

Any and all recommendations and hints are appreciated.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-13-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
Here you go:

http://luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/index.shtml
Old     (xcharrier)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-13-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
Congrats!!!

Although I dont have too many recommendations... I'd just suggest getting out and using the camera as much as you can. I'd just suggest not getting stuck in the idea of using the auto mode on the camera too much. Try to use the aperture, shutter speed, and maunual modes as much as possible. If you have specific questions feel free to pm me.
Old     (denjoe)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-17-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
Thanks guys for the input. I have been forcing myself to us the Aperture and Shutter speed modes as much as possible, but still not getting as good as shots as I do with the Auto mode or P mode.

I picked up the Rebel XT Digital Field Guide book as well.

Thanks for the input and support!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-21-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
Joe,

I feel your stoke (am I allowed to use that word...I'm over 30 ) I just got Canon's 30D and am hoping to get a mid-range zoom lens here ASAP. Here is a pic I took last Sunday with the kit lens. The resolution is dropped considerably for posting, but the full res. picture is amazing. Now I just have to take the picture at a time other than 1 pm and learn how to shoot properly on manual. (or teach my crew...since I want pics of me :-)

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/Canon-30D-newbie_wakeboarding-wake.html?medid=18943
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-21-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
Nice chop job loren. ANd yes you can use stoke. Its been in surfing long before wake or skate. Like the 80's I believe.

Anyone tried using a flash or reflector for mid day? I have thought about it but I haven't been out around mid day since..... well I can't remember when. I guess fill flash or reflector for bad lighting situations.

I know it would have to be a powerfull flash to reach 80' in mid day sun.
Old     (xcharrier)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-21-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
Mattato- I dont see a flash from the boat being of any use. For one I doubt it would be powerful enough to reach and for two, most strobes arent capable of a higher flash sync than 1/250th. And in mid-day sun it is rather difficult to get the shutter speed to 1/250th or slower without over exposing. Now if you were in a tube near the rider you might have better luck... still be tricky.

My suggestion... just do a spot reading on the rider and shoot at that exposure. Or just shoot early or late in the day :-) (Thats also when you could have some fun with the strobes)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-21-2006, 7:01 PM Reply   
I saw a post from someone somewhere using a Metz 54 on full auto for daylight fill in a situation like this but Russell is right 80' is pushing it.
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-22-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
I could just bring out my studio strobes. 10,000 ws might do it. I'm not even on the lake anymore for mid day sun to be a problem. We go home at 11 in the winter and about 9 in the summer or we hit it up late afternoon.

I was just trying to think up a way to make the same shot look a little more interesting.

On camera flash from teh boat at midnight does work, however.