Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       08-29-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
I've been checking these boards out now that prices have dropped and I'm wondering that if both are the same price, is there any reason to get the classic over the new shape? Board will be ridden only behind the boat. I am an intermediate rider. I would be coming off a 08' LF Substance. I found both boards for around $280. I don't have the ability to demo them, which is why I am asking here.

I find it interesting that although the new shape exists, riders like Bob Soven, Harley and others that don't have pro models rode the classic and not the new shape.

Any shared experiences are appreciated.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-29-2012, 1:26 PM Reply   
Those guys used to ride the classic...they now have their own pro models. I love both classic I have and have never heard one complaint from anyone about them. Have great pop and stable landings.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-29-2012, 4:43 PM Reply   
I have ridden the Classic and I loved it. I don't have any experience with the pro model. I now have an '12 Harley. They ride very similar. The Harley feels a little faster with just as soft landings if not softer than the classic.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-29-2012, 5:26 PM Reply   
I think the Pro model is a faster board and a little looser than the classic, both great boards, both land soft, but your preference. I don't think you would be disappointed with either coming from the Substance.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-29-2012, 6:30 PM Reply   
The classic is a great lookin board too!

Old     (mhouser2)      Join Date: Jan 2012       08-30-2012, 6:42 AM Reply   
They pretty much go in order of buoyancy and looseness, the classic sits the lowest in the water but has the most traction where as the Watson sits a little higher and is a little looser, then the harley feels like it rides completely on top of the water and it pretty loose. That being said i was wondering the same thing and I've got the classic and love it, even though i can ride any of the three boards and feel just as comfortable, it's really just preference on traction. And honestly the board doesn't make the man, the man makes the man, you could ride pretty much any board and progress the amount we pick apart boards now is pretty crazy. You honestly won't notice much difference between the three.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       08-30-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies. Good to hear people's experiences.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-30-2012, 5:14 PM Reply   
Let us know what you decide. I will tell you, the picture above does not do the board justice. The Classic this year looked sick. I am tempted to buy one myself if I can find it for a good price.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-30-2012, 5:34 PM Reply   
Just wait till next year, this year's pro will be called the Classic and you'll have the best of both worlds.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-30-2012, 5:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
Let us know what you decide. I will tell you, the picture above does not do the board justice. The Classic this year looked sick. I am tempted to buy one myself if I can find it for a good price.
This guy is right! It looks so much better than my '11 white one (pictured below). Love the carbon fiber look of the '12 and as you can tell I love my Watsons Bob rode the classic up until this summer then his pro model was finally ready.

Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       08-30-2012, 6:52 PM Reply   
Yeah, the 12 does look good. LR3w8kbrdr, did you size down from the 11' to the 12' or is that just the picture playing tricks? I'm 155lbs, so I'm thinking the 138. I've got one shop that I have talked down to $230 on the 12' classic. Might have to go for it, before it's gone.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-30-2012, 7:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloungelife View Post
Yeah, the 12 does look good. LR3w8kbrdr, did you size down from the 11' to the 12' or is that just the picture playing tricks? I'm 155lbs, so I'm thinking the 138. I've got one shop that I have talked down to $230 on the 12' classic. Might have to go for it, before it's gone.
Yes...i did size down. My '11 cracked and LF replaced it. Went with the 138 instead of the 142 I had. I too am 155lbs and 5'10. So i suggest go with the 138 as well. $230 is a great deal fir this board! Jump on it
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-30-2012, 7:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Just wait till next year, this year's pro will be called the Classic and you'll have the best of both worlds.
Is the shape of the watson changing? I hadnt heard that.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-30-2012, 8:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboom12 View Post
Is the shape of the watson changing? I hadnt heard that.
I just said that based on the trend from previous years. I have no knowledge of any secret plans for 2013 shapes.