Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-20-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
OK old guy second year rider. Just going W2W and fakie. I have found that when riding toe side I can just edge out a little, carve through the wake with good tension and I get booted scary high with little effort. Issue is I'm a little too chicken on toe side to try anything fun and keep trying the heel wake where I feel more balanced. On heel side I can carve waaaayyyyy out, flatten out and relax then edge like mad to the wake and only get a little lateral air. No real "pop" as they say.

Besides growing a bigger toe side pair is there anything typical learning curve wise that I need to do? Any common mistake to goofy heelsiders?

Thanks,.

BTW. Goofy rider >> heelside is port of the wake and toeside is stbd? correct?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-20-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
"edge like mad"

This may be your issue. If you are charging the wake too fast, it may just be your speed taking you W2W and not your pop off the wake. Practice edging out just past the wash and come back in and try to get w2w. Good pop will be crucial to be successful. As far as TS tricks are concerned, have you tried the TS 180? This is a simple trick (IMO more simple than going W2W toeside) and you should have little issue with it.

"BTW. Goofy rider >> heelside is port of the wake and toeside is stbd? correct?"

Yes
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-20-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
i'm goofy and i ride that way too.when you charge the wake you create lots of line tension . it will either pull you off your edge or not allow you to straighten up all the way therefore no pop but speed will clear the wake just no height. try like jeremy said and see how much pop you can get with very small cut.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-20-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
Thanks. I think unconsciously I'm flattening out and loosing line tension. I just cant catch myself doing it. For TS 180: yeah.... thats on the list as soon as I can simply ride switch comfortably without eating it.

The thing is... toeside I feel the "pop" I get it.

Heelside not even close. No pop at all.

Maybe Ill try short runs working on line tension and position.

Thanks.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-20-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Yeah, you kind of have to TS. You're not carrying near the speed as on your heels, so it's kind of more reliant on good popping technique.

And it is definitely a bonus to practice and get sufficient on switch riding. It will help you in all aspects of your riding.
Old     (tsteeb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
what helped me out is not trying to "jump" at the wake. If you edge in and then focus on keeping your body as stiff as you can when you hit the wake rather than trying to jump off the wake you should feel the pop that you are talking about. Hopefully that makes some sort of sense and helps out a bit.
Cheers,
Tyler
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-20-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
also on heel side consentrate on pushing hips forward and push chest to the sky . this will help you totally straighten your body. a good drill is to cut out very short about 5' and just cruise into wake standing as tall as you can and be stiff at wake . you will feel pop even with no speed.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-21-2010, 5:57 AM Reply   
Thanks you guys. I'll try that tonight and let you know.