Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
i saw on the freeway today a white new(er) lifted chevy towing a ski nautique 2001 (red/black/grey/white camo paint job) w/ the boards in the board racks.

why do people do this? i mean, seriously, is there an advantage to doing this? does it create less drag for your tow vehicle thus saving you gas?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-26-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
because he thinks it looks cool i'm sure.

unfortunately, it makes him look like an idiot imo. so dangerous.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-26-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
i see that around the delta all the time. BUt those guys might just live around the corner from the launch. Even then, seems risky to me.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-26-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
My dad lives 3-4 blocks away from the boat launch and we usually put the boards in the racks before driving down under 30 mph. Do you guys think that's ok? I wouldn't think they get shaken anymore then they do when the boat is on the water.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
the thing is that if it falls out of the rack while on water, it falls on the water and doesn't hurt anyone else. if it falls on the freeway, it'll more than likely hit another car and/or cause a chain-reaction wreck.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-26-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
30mph. Okay thats no big deal, especially for 3-4 blocks. I see guys all summer long cruising the freeway at 65mph with boards in the racks. To me it's just a dumb and unnecessary risk to take.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-26-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
probably fine, but thinkin of my decks fallin off the racks and onto the cement or on someones hood - just hurts thinking about it.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       09-26-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
On 680 going South bound toward the Benicia Bridge. This tuck pulling their Sanger (red/white) hauling A$$ past me and our boat with all his boards on his racks. I was hoping he would lose them so I could pull over and pick up a new board on the side of the road.

You ever see the idiots hauling down the freeway with their bimini top up. Seen that once.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-26-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
I see people flying to the lake all the time with there biminis up. What deuches. I mean Id feel bad if maybe the person or salesman that sold them the boat never informed them that this is not the proper way to tow your boat, but still isnt it just kinda common sense? As far as the boards in the board racks. I have an 07 B52 and my boards barely stay in the racks when Im on the water (stupid bungee cords). I can only imagine what they would do if I drove 65 down the freeway with them in.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-26-2008, 4:59 PM Reply   
I drive 10 miles to Holland Tract with my boards in the racks. 35 MPH is probably my top speed and there is no way they are coming out of the racks.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-26-2008, 5:08 PM Reply   
We roll with Bu and have the bimini and extension up all the time, that thing is SOLID and there is no way anything is gonna happen to it.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-26-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
Personally, I think that people that roll with their boards in the racks while on the freeways are dumbass's...plain and simple.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       09-26-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
i can see the bu bimini cuz you can bounce quarters on that thing, but boards? never. doesn't it put more stress on your tower?
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-26-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
Word brandon
Old     (tp83)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-26-2008, 6:18 PM Reply   
i always found it stupid to drive with boards in the rack but i have to admit i did it once at bullards bar we had to got to another ramp after we setup, bimini up and boards on, but it wasn't to long of a drive and the boards didn't move a bit.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-26-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
Regular load on the boards at 30 mph in the boat and most people would find the board move a bit. At 60 mph the load is 4X what is is at 30. That's a pretty serious increase in the force. Same goes for the bimini. At 75 mph the load is more than 6 times what it is at 30 in the boat. The angle of the board is also often a bit different and the bumps are more solid to add to the load.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-26-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
I saw a guy ahead of me on the I17 in Phx doing at least 90 with a board in the racks. I know it was 90 cos I was doing about 75 and he pulled away from me fast. Leads me to another question...why do people feel like they have to drive as fast or faster than the other non-towing traffic when they have a boat hooked up? Are they trying to show off the power of tehir vehicles? Or are they late getting home to their wives and they're seriously pu$$y whipped?!

(Message edited by gobigorgohome on September 26, 2008)
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-26-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
Because he is a tool
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-26-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
Peter, because they have no respect for the lack of stopping and evasive maneuvering capabilities of their rigsm and therefore no respect for the other motorists around them.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-26-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
do we have to have another thread on this topic
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2008, 8:18 PM Reply   
hahaha
Old    sealyon.net            09-27-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
Got a friend who had a board come out once. That's a bad idea.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-27-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
Sounds like a lot of you guys are confident that nothing will happen. What is wrong with just not even taking the chance and laying the boards in the boat? It would take a whole 30 seconds more to do that and possibly keep you from having to buy new boards or keep form killing someone.. I just don't get it.
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-27-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
never had boards in the racks at hwy speed. I almost had an issue at 35 and will never do it again. I live a mile from the ramp and only go 35. I hit a dip in the road and looked back to see the board almost get thrown out of the rack. I figured that the boat goes 35 on the water and they would be fine.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-28-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
A board hitting a windshield at 30mph is still pretty deadly. Think about the effect on others.
Old     (mikeyjr)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-28-2008, 10:16 PM Reply   
I leave mine in the racks all the time. I tow with a V-10 Super Duty I pretty much get the same mpgs towing as I do empty,so that part doesn,t make a differance.I do wrap an extra bungee around them for a safety.I dont like them banging around in the back of my truck or bouncing around on my vinyl,as you all know there not cheep.I will say if I am going on a long trip I leave them down.
Far as stress on the tower Beleive me there is a lot more stress when your riding than air rolling over it down the road.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-29-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
To me when i see people with boards in the racks. It reflects inexperience, being lazy, or people thinking it looks cool.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-29-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
Michael,
Not trying to be a stick in the mud but, there is a reason they make boardbags,...the bigger bags will fit board+bindings, and if you take 3 minutes to remove your bindings after riding, you could probably fit 4-5 decks inside on bag...

there has been a thread on this before, and to me it is just obvious that it is a bad idea to tow with boards in the racks...why even take the risk when its probably 5 minutes max to remove them from the rack, throw them in a bag, and toss them inside the boat/truck bed..or whatever..
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-29-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
if i see someone with them on the freeway, I do some hand gestures and point backwards toward the boat, as if they are falling off, then they have to stop
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-29-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
the only way i would ever do it is with the older mastercraft racks that clamp on the top and bottom

these ones
Upload
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-29-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Dude it's not just the air rolling over the boards on the road....it is the road! Considering that your boat trailer has no suspension what so ever, all of the bumps, potholes, and everything else that your trailer hits moves right up into your boardracks.

I hope that one of your racks breaks and you end up causing a huge accident on the freeway.

Here's a tip......put the boards on the floor in the boat, that way you won't scratch up your precious truck or tear your vinyl. Or spend a $100 and get a rubber bed liner.
Old     (tige21i)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-29-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
Prolly a fresh boater and thought he looked cool or was just retarded and thought he looked cool.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-29-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
I don't do it but I pull my racks off the tower. I don't like cleaning the bugs off the racks. Titan lift offs are great.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-29-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^ second ewing ^^^^^^^^ i also rock the lift offs, they are p.i.m.p.