Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-07-2012, 3:19 PM Reply   
OK some of you remember when I bought this project for my 6yo daughter. It needs stringers and an engine.
I started the rebuild this week and have sourced a nice 5.7 Mercruiser TBI that just needs manifolds, risers and an inboard bell housing, ring gear and top mount starter. I have also sourced a decent 1"1 Velvet drive in good shape, with cooler and mounts out of Arkansas for 300$ shipped.
So far I am still on budget.
The goal is to have a running , reliable inboard with tower that looks great for less than $5,500.00 I have $400 in the boat and trailer.
Most of my project boats are built better than new with upgraded grids, composite decks and beams, high-end electrical systems etc and the looks dept. comes in last, if ever.
Not this one.
The goal is to patch up the grid so the boat holds shape and the engine stay put.
Electrical will go all new but bare bones basic.
Luxuries here will be a new gauge package.
She will have fully custom bolstered seating with storage and ballast front and rear. Compliments of my Cuban friends I met this year.
90% sure of teak or maybe Ipe decks. We will see what I can get raw lumber for at the Dade market.
Custom two point arch type tower. Cant decide to sweep it fore or aft. Y'all can help with that later.
PPG Concept base / clear paint job from the chines up. leading candidates are Sea foam green, root beer and hot pink. Trim and tower will be black.
I have done some initial cutting and grinding and have cut the new stringer sections to form.
I had intended to set the stringers tomorrow but I just booked the day. So maybe Friday.
I have started a folder on my desk top and will update this thread as I go along if anyone is interested.
Cheers.
John

Pics in order:
The boat with initial stripping and grinding
Hey look! i can see the top of my benches! been a while.
Stringers cut to shape, nothing fancy just PT
Bucket O resin and designated laminating sneakers.
Attached Images

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-07-2012, 6:00 PM Reply   
killer shoes, man.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-07-2012, 6:28 PM Reply   
classic Boks brotha! gonna get stiff too. So nobody likes my garage art, fire extinguisher or rain coat? The painting is from my wife's old friend who painted it for us as a wedding gift. The girl then visited, lasted 3 hours before the wifey threw her out on the street, she had to call a cab! So for the last 15 years it has been decorating my garage. Man I love my wife! Hah!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-07-2012, 7:08 PM Reply   
Those Reeboks are OG, Son.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-07-2012, 8:28 PM Reply   
Looking forward to seeing the progress on your restoration. I love classic boats!
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-07-2012, 10:33 PM Reply   
Really excited to see how this for you. I have been shopping for an older fixer upper as well so I am real interested in your restoration. Please post pictures and updates as often as possible.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-08-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
yes please, keep us informed. the funny pissing matches aside, these are my favorite kinds of threads.