Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-16-2010, 3:46 PM Reply   
I got to watch Derek Cook from South Bay Wakeboard Academy ride a set the other day and he threw some sweet wrapped 3's and 5's which got me wanting to try them but first I need some info... What is the best hand placement for the rear hand? When cutting in how much tension should be on each hand? How much different is it from a handle pass HSFS or HSBS 3? Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-17-2010, 5:59 AM Reply   
Wrapped spins are a whole differnet animal than handle pass.

To address you Q's. When I do wrapped spins of any sort, there is zero tension on my back hand. Any tension on this hand will twist your hips, you will run the spin and get yanked off axis. 100% of the line tension needs to be on your front hand. I usually take a more squated out stance when I approach the wake wrapped this seems to help cut down on the line tension. The only real similarity beside the rotation aspec is that when you leave the wake you still have to inititate your rotation. If you just left go off the wrap handle again you will get yanked. Once your in the air pull the lead handlejust likey you would for a Handle Pass spin, this will keep you on axis. As for you handle placement Q- the position of your front hand is more important than your back hand, you really wanna try and keep your elbow at a 90 degree with your arm and elbow tucked into your hip tight. This will keep you from twisting your hips on the way into the wake. IHope thie helps man, post up some video when you go try them, dont forget to get a nasty poked out grab in there!

Good luck
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-17-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
Thank you for the advice Nintzel! I'm heading out right now to give them a try so I'll take a vid and post it.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-17-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
Yea take some lessons from Derek Cook himself
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-17-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
I dont get to wakeboard anymore because of wrapped 3 gone very very wrong.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-17-2010, 10:17 PM Reply   
I put the back handle on my back hip to help lessen the tension a bit, but yeah, the front hand on the wrap handle needs to hold the vast majority of it. I keep a bit of tension on the back handle (Like 10%, just enough to keep the rope taught) so its a smoother rotation when the handle starts pulling you around. I used to let it jerk out at bit, and it wasnt' too friendly to my shoulder. keeping the rope just barely tight with the back hand made my wrapped spins smoother and hurt less.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-17-2010, 11:27 PM Reply   
So I gave them a try today and they were way easier than I thought. Stuck everything first try back to back: wrapped HSFS3, TSFS3 and HSBS 3. Here is the video of my second run which for some reason I only landed about 50% of them. I also tried a few unsuccessful tootsie rolls and my last try is at the end of the video if anyone would like to give me some advice on getting the handle that would be great. Sorry for the shotty video footage... The only good videographer on the boat today was driving. Thanks!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O88pTLL3QeQ
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-18-2010, 7:07 PM Reply   
looks really good considering you just learned them! Tootsie was close
Old    kaligirl            07-18-2010, 8:31 PM Reply   
Nice!!! Next time I'll drive so your driver can get good footie. Now I'm really bummed I can't make it this week!
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-18-2010, 9:16 PM Reply   
Joey- if you don't mind explaining I'd like to hear.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-19-2010, 4:21 AM Reply   
gj
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-19-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
Sounds good Kathleen!!