Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                04-11-2004, 11:43 PM Reply   
Ok, so after posting for a while on WW I picked up the Sony DCR TRV38. It is brand new, should be coming in a few days off of ebay. I hope that it is a sufficiant cam, as it was pretty much out of my price range to begin with. My questions are, what accessories should a pick up as far as lenses and filters, etc. Also what is a decent editing program. I'd love to get premiere but it is pricy, I need something a little cheaper. Also, any other information or suggestions would be great. I have done a decent amount of film work in school, but that was all vhs with actual reel to reel editing and stuff like that, pretty ancient. So I trust you guys to help me out. Thanks!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-12-2004, 5:09 AM Reply   
I suggest a UV filter to protect the lens and then maybe a circular polarizer or ND 6 if you're shooting a lot outdoors. If Avid is still offering the free stripped down version of DV Xpress I'd jump on that. At the point where you need all of it's regular features you'll probably be able to afford it.
Old                04-12-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
Thanks Rich, I knew that you could help me on this one. Do you think that the Sony DCR TRV38 is a sufficiant cam for decent wakeboard filming?? Two more questions....what is an ND 6?? And and where can I get the free version of Avid at??
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-12-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
For any kind of production I think you need a good 3 chip but if you handle it right you'll be OK. A lot of the stuff coming off even a single chip mini DV cam that properly shot and exposed looks better on DVD than the pro productions of 4 to 5 years ago do on VHS. Again not waving the cam like a flag and wearing out the zoom control - just taking good shots can make the difference in video quality minimal. An ND or neutral density filter cuts the light entering the camera and allows you to open up the aperature more or will help keep your shutter speed more under control. Most of your good 3 chip cams have them builtin.

ck avid.com for the SW.
Old                04-12-2004, 3:49 PM Reply   
Rich thanks alot for your help. I checked out the avid.com webpage and it looks great. Theys still have the free version available, so I will probably check it out. I do know that there are programs available at best buy and places like that between 100-200 bucks. Are they worth it, or can you reccommend any?? Or is it better to just get comfortable with the free avid software and then upgrade to the full version when I can afford it?? Thanks again for your help.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-12-2004, 5:33 PM Reply   
I'd pick a top program and learn that because if you find budget software won't take you where you want in the future you'll waste time learning a new one. It's no secret I'm a big final cut fan, I'd start with FC express and move up to Pro when you need those features. If not FCP then Avid is the SW I would use.
Old                04-12-2004, 10:20 PM Reply   
i started out with windows movie maker, worked great for me and comes free with XP anyway, nothing incredibly fancy but i've made a load of nice videos.
Old                04-13-2004, 4:41 PM Reply   
Anyone know any other programs I should check out?????
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-14-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
EDITING:
What type of system do you have at home? That would help narrow down your options. If you're still in school, many of the top names like Adobe, Apple, Avid, etc.. offer educational discounts.

Adobe:
http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/education_pricing.html

Apple:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html

Misc:
http://www.academic-softwares.com/products.asp

Until your budget permits and as John O said, you can easily create some cool home wakeboard videos with something as simple and free as Movie Maker II. The following link is a demo I slapped together using Movie Maker II ( http://www.dpcfilms.com/howto/videos/contest_entry2_0004.wmv ). The goal was the exhibit the features of the product so there are about 7-8 effects that you'll easily notice which I would never use otherwise. Take this time to develop your editing skill which can then be carried over to any system.

If your goal is to eventual work for an establish production company then I would focus on getting familiar with Avid, Final Cut, and After Effects since that's what majority of them use.

CAMERA:
I 100% agree with Rich on "Again not waving the cam like a flag and wearing out the zoom control". Focus on keeping your camera steady (which may be difficult because the DCR TRV38 is so light) and framing your shots properly.

ACCESSORIES:
If you plan on shooting from land make sure to get a good tripod (not the $40 - 90 models from Circuit City, Best Buy, etc..). Doing a search on eBay for "bogen video tripod"

For lenses I would recommend Century Optics, but that maybe something for down the road since they're expensive.

For water housings check out: http://www.cervenka.net/wake/VideoHousings/index.asp for a range of choices.

Cool, hope that helps and we look forward to seeing some of your work in the future!

(Message edited by dcervenka on April 14, 2004)
Old                04-15-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
check out vegas if avid doesnt work out. One thing i havent seen is an extra battery the best u can afford because from that hour or howeverlong video is going to be chipped so u need as much filming as u can get. Lenses and filter really have been covered. Thats about it as far as i can see. any more questions post
Old                04-19-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
wehere did you see Avid DV Expres for free? It says $695 on the website! What about the software that came with the camcorder? I got the HC 40 and I think it came with something called Picture Package? How is that?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-19-2004, 3:28 PM Reply   
Avid Free DV Download Here:
http://www.avid.com/forms/freeDVRegDownload.asp

And here's a break down of the features for each version:
http://www.avid.com/freedv/welcome.asp

Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-19-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
go to www.genesis-technologies.com they have adobe premiere for $240 if you are any kind of student, you have to show school id card or something.