Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-20-2010, 11:16 PM Reply   
Let me preface this by saying, I don't know the first thing about car or boat audio systems. It's like a foreign language to me (watts, peak, rms, ohm, Hz, yada, yada).

Here is what my boat has...

HEAD UNIT
  • Clarion CMD5

SPEAKERS
AMPS/POWER
  • Tidal Audio 800.4 amp that powers the cabin and the tower speaker (fade control goes up and down)
  • Tidal Audio 500.2 amp that powers the sub
  • 2 batteries on Perko

The boat came with this setup from the factory (minus the tower speakers). It sounds good when in the boat; however, the tower is just so-so. Sounds good up close, but it's not loud enough when riding. Basically, I need to have the volume cranked to hear it okay when riding at 65 feet.

I want more from the tower. I have considered adding another pair of Fusions, or upgrading to a pair of Exile XM7's. Obviously having four XM7's would be ideal! Doesn't my tower look naked??

Whatever I end up doing, I'd like to do it with just my current amps.. trying to keep this reasonable. I am not interested in a complete system re-do.

So here are my questions:

1) Assuming I could locate two more Fusions, would that help?
2) Would two XM7's sound better/louder than four Fusions?
3) Is there a way to do either two or four XM7's with my current amp setup?
4) Given these constraints, what would you do if you were me?

Extra Credit: Who can help me understand the science behind matching amps to speakers?