Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Waterskiing

Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       07-14-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
I ski with my left foot forward and I for the life of me I cannot get a decent right turn down. I'll have no trouble getting to the left side buoy's but I cannot make the turn when going back to the right. Any pointers on strengthening my weak side so I can become more than half a skier?
Old                07-15-2003, 7:52 AM Reply   
You are probably carrying too much speed into the turn.

First - Are you cutting to the outside after crossing the wake? If you are, the spray from the ski will be heading towards the boat. This is a common error with new skiers (I know you are just learning a deep start, but I don't know your skiing ability - so forgive me if that sounds too basic). Try to cut across the wake and do not cut after crossing the wake. Instead, get the ski on the inside edge (right side on a right hand turn)as quickly after crossing the wake as possible. Don't try and turn right away, just get it on the inside edge. Then conscentrate on coasting and slowing down - when the ski slows down to a point where it is almost sinking - then finish your turn. You may not get as wide at first, but that will come when you learn to cut harder. Too many people will ski like this: they gingerly cross the wake, then cut hard, then try to turn and gingerly cross the wake. This is how you should do it: cut across the wake, coast after crossing and slow down, turn the ski, pull and cut hard across the wake, coast, turn, etc. If done properly, the spray from the ski will ALWAYS be away from the boat.

If you are doing this and still feel like you can't turn, be sure you are bending at the knees. This is what I mean: you should keep the same good body position (hips forward, handle into hips, shoulders back) but bend the knees and push them forward. You will end up leaning a little further back to keep your balance (you are not leaning forward on the ski, but just moving the knees forward). This will slow the ski even more and allow you to turn it better.

Everyone usually struggles with their off-side turn. It really takes good form to do it correctly.

Eventually, you can start to make small changes on the fin and bindings, but I wouldn't do this until you are sure your form is 100% correct. Most skiers won't change any fin settings until they are skiing in the slalom course and have really shortened the rope (28+ off). Until then, keep working on the form.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-15-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
And another thing! DON'T LOOK AT THE BALL... Look up the rope at the boat. If you look at the ball, you will ski to the ball and you won't be wide enough to get good angle. Happy skiing! Remember to bend your knees around the ball and let the ski turn, then hold on for your pull across the wake!
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       07-17-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
Thanx guys, it'll just take me a while to get the form down. Brian you were right about my method. Since my left turn is my strong turn, I would power all the way out to the left side making my speed too fast to make the turn back. But since my right side isn't very strong, I was going slow enough to make a good turn to the left.
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-07-2003, 10:58 PM Reply   
Coming late on this, but one little trick that has helped my offside turn is a slight counter-rotation with my upper body. I do this when I reach toward the boat with my one hand and my other is free. It is almost like pushing your chest out a little and reaching back slightly with your free hand. I'm not sure exactly what it does, but it keeps my ski in the water, where otherwise I can pop my tip up and ruin a good pass by immediately losing my angle.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       08-28-2003, 9:28 AM Reply   
Here's how to get a good off-side turn in. As you go around one ball, I want you to start pulling hard as soon as your ski is somewhat turning. As you come up to the wake I want you to continue to try to push more angle into your ski by straightening your back leg as much as possible. When you hit the wake, you will get a pull forward so don't forget to break at your hips and let your shoulders forward to compensate. If you did everything right you will jump the wake and land out in the flats a few feet from the ball going really fast. At this point in time I want you to drop your right shoulder and lean as far back on the ski as possible. As your leaning back you need to start turning the ski so it's facing down-course. Only from this position can you get a really strong off-side turn (don't forget you should still be bent over at the waist).

Only with a lot of practice and a lot of falls can you get my patented off-side turn lessons.
Old     (bjbatch)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-28-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
Sean, uh, that was helpful! At least you made me realize I am not the only one that does all those stupid things on my off-side! Now if I just re-write that and do the opposite, I should be able to make a full pass at 34 mph right?
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       08-28-2003, 11:00 AM Reply   
Thanx Sean. I'm sure to put your lessons to good use. I'm not sure but I think I already do most of what you said. I at least know I have the breaking at the hips part down so when I get to the other side of the wake the tip of the ski is pointing down. It makes for some incredible surface acrobatics. It's majestic!
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       08-28-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
Hey you got to identify the bad ones before you focus on the good ones right?