Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            04-15-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
My goal for this summer is to hang ten on a board behind the boat. I talked with a number of board shapers and eventually came back to Jerry Price of Shred Stixx. I bought my first wakesurfer from Jerry and he is still the man when you want to talk about what CAN be done and what has already been done.

I talked with Jerry and he felt a noserider was possible and he had a design in his head that he was looking for a reason to have built. It's in the works now.

We've been watching old longboarding videos and those guys walk all over the board: backwards, forward.

James planted the tail back in the curl on this 4'6" and check where is rear foot is. He's on the front half of the board, with the tail being held down in the curl. I think a slight smaller wake, running a little faster...say 11 - 12 mph, will make hanging 10 doable.

Upload
Old    surfdad            04-15-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
James and I have been watching a bunch of old longboard videos. Those riders walk all over the board - forward, backward, regular and fakie. Amazing styles. When I talked with Jerry about practicing cross-stepping he suggested getting a longboard skateboard.

Are there any old school skateboarders like myself? I used to skateboard on a piece of 1/2 ply with steel wheels attached. Then I saved my money and got a hobie with, I think they had clay wheels. That was 40 years ago. :-)

Taking Jerry's advice, I got a new skateboard. :-) They are a little longer than I remember. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            04-15-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
This was quite the workout and it reminded me that my front leg isn't as in shape as my front. When you go to cross-step, you place all your weight on the front foot...well, James does, I tried to really hard. :-)

James cross-stepping to hang 5:

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            04-15-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
What every CPA should be doing on April 15th. :-)

I think Jerry is right (again :-) ). Cross-stepping isn't easy, but it isn't impossible either. Being able to practice in a driveway several hundred time per hour makes you capable in a hurry.

I did it! :-) Bring on the noserider. :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-15-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff, I'm impressed with your extremely high level of motivation. My younger brother, who was an excellent surfer, used to practice his shortboarding skills on a skate board, and he swore by it. It looks silly, but it really works.

I guess we'll find out here pretty soon after you post that hang ten picture. Let's lay down some rules. I think the board has to be longer than 8', or maybe 9'. What do you think?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-15-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
I've walked up and down some of my boards but it's more of a shuffle. Most of the time I walk to the front after I fall too far back and need to get the board to catch back up. I would never have thought to cross stance as I walked back and forth. There's so much we land locked guys have to learn.

I have tried to change stance from regular to a stance with both feet side by side but that get real unstable real quick.

My buddy Dean has a ton of skate boards, I’ll have to show him this post.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-15-2007, 7:11 PM Reply   
Bring out yellow to the lake and then walk the nose for practice. Hope the weather was warmer for you today during your prasctice session. You say your front leg isn't in as good a shape as your front ..... What? belly?
Old    surfdad            04-15-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
Dennis, was I inarticulate again? :-) I was thinking leg and after that first cross step it's...uumm rear? :-) I need to review before posting! Warm but WINDY!

Ed, if you have NetFlix there are a ton of longboard DVD's...amazing style to watch.

Jim, I gave creative license to Jerry and I do believe that he said the board would be in the 8'6" range so...I'm good there. :-) I'm sure you've seen a number of noseriders in the ocean, I think that it'll be possible to hang ten.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-16-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
I have a 7'8" Egg Twinzer in my garage. I have often thought about trying it behind my boat. I can go toes on the nose in the ocean. There is just soo much wax on it. That's it, I'll take it camping ond ride on the lake!
Board More/Work Less!
Wadd$
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       04-16-2007, 5:29 PM Reply   
Jeff, You better get some wrist and knee guards. I know you were not expecting the "Ugly Nuuhiwa" by this weekend and that's good. I will not be done. It is a cross between the "Con Ugly" and the"Bing David Nuuhiwa Noserider" . The two best noseriders [my opinion] ever built. Don't worry, I will test it before turning it over to you..HA
Old    surfdad            04-16-2007, 6:32 PM Reply   
Judy is hogging the pads and helmet! You should see the family after dinner we skate this mile loop in some blacktop. Judy is covered head to toe...I should invest in a second set.

I'll know you're "still testing" if it takes 6 months :-) I can't wait to get it behind the boat. :-)
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-17-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
I'm as old school as I can be. My school just aint that old. Well, not as old as yours Jeff. I've got a Caballero that I thrash around the neighborhood. Mine is red.
Upload

Me and a buddy got pulled over for speeding on his Steadham in 8th grade. 35 in a 15. We would ride doubles with him sitting and me standing on the tail and it was down hill the whole way. 169 Indies with some Bones III's. That bad boy was fast.
Upload
Old    surfdad            04-17-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Speeding! :-) That's too funny. Yeah, my school was before they had indoor plumbing. :-) The original skateboard we made by stealing...eeerrr, I mean "acquiring" a small 2 x 4 and a pair of skates from someone's sister (remember at that age girls still had coodies :-) ). We'd separate the skates and then HAMMER them to the board. I can still remember the nails poking through and we'd just bend them over. :-)

Within a few years you could buy a similar skateboard at stores - steel wheels and all.

If I'm not mistaken, Makaha (spelling?) came out with the first real skateboard and it was somewhere around '64 - I am SO not giving Nick that ammunition, that's 1964 to you sonny-boy! :-)
Anyway...Hobie introduced this board. The wheels are clay! :-)

Upload
Upload

Those wheels wouldn't grip to save your life. I can remember we would tow in :-) Get a friend with a bike and a rope, tie it to the bike and then pull your skateboard buddy as fast as possible on some highly smooth concrete - like the outside hallways at school, or in a strip mall. When you let go, you could crouch down and then break the back end loose - we'd spin 1080's easily and the occasional 1800! :-)

I'm starting to sound like a grandfather!!!!! EEEKKKKK!
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       04-17-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
That board is a classic!. Hope you are not using it..Sent one just like it thru Hobies display case when he still worked the counter At his original shop in Santa Monica. He was'nt too happy with me...but got over it. "No more riding in the Shop.!!!!!
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-17-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff;
Nice "Stixx" shirt. I guess I'm going to have to talk to Jerry about one of those for me.
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       04-17-2007, 10:05 PM Reply   
Walk over to the house and get it!!!!!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-30-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
i'm really wanting to try a noserider model board behind the boat. Jerry - let us know when you have a production model ready. Since additional weight on a longboard can be helpful, maybe you should check with Ed on the "Recycle This" design -- or Ed, maybe you should try a noserider for your "Recycle This II" model.

Anyway, interesting article on how to noseride.... step by step... wanted to share for anyone interested.

http://www.noserider.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=28
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-30-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
"are there any old school skateboarders like myself?" Yes I too used to "borrow" the steel rollerskates from my older sister, cut the heel and toe clamps off and screw them to a 2x4 about 14" long and we thought we invented the skateboard!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-30-2007, 10:31 PM Reply   
Hey Chris,
Yes I've been skateboarding (curb grinds, ollies, jump ramps, quarterpipes built in the street in front of our house -- that was good until the neighbors threatened to burn it down -- looking for ditches, etc.) since junior high. Kind of lost it as I've gotten older -- last time I went to the Vans Skatepark in Orange, CA, I got worked by a bunch of kids on the mini half. They were saying things like "dude, that board should be in a museum -- it is older than I am, etc." And those falls don't just shake off like they used to. But now, I'm training our one year old to ride the ol' Lance Mountain in our playroom.

Upload
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-01-2007, 1:35 AM Reply   
Jeff youd prolly like these then if you like the classic look in a longboard... a little family fun we've done for about 5 or 6 years
http://www.organicride.com/
Old    surfdad            05-01-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Christopher! A fellow "borrower" :-) Did you actually cut the heel and toe clamp parts off? I swear we just beat them flat with a hammer or whittled the end of the 2 x 4 down so it would slip in. You guys must have more into the engineering of it :-)

Did you have the same "awe-struck" response to the first clay wheelers? No more sparks as you boarded! :-)

Matt, thanks for the nose riding drill...that is exactly how Jerry is describing it. I need to start pestering Jerry he probably already has my board and won't tell me so that he can ride it all the time. :-)

Tyler, sweet looking boards. Do you and the family hand glue the decks?