Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 20, 2006

Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-11-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
Still looking for that crossover boat. Keep going up in size and price. Which would you choose and why? Getting tougher staying in that 40K range.
Old     (imiguy68)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-11-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
first off moomba is running and indmar motor, and standard this year is the 325hp MPI, and 80% of the market within the top three out of four selling manufactures are using this brand. the boat is all 100% hand laid, not chopper gun laid.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-11-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
Which Moomba are you looking at?
Old    mendo247            11-11-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
moomba!
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-11-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
richard is that comment at the moomba a "thumbs down"? or are you saying get the moomba?

I have never heard of an unhappy Sanger owner...
Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-11-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
Sorry left the title out should have read 07 Moomba LSV Vs. 06 Sanger 215
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-11-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
this is coming from a Nautique owner. If I had the choice between those two...Sanger, hands down.

I personally think that Nautique, MC, and Malibu are the best built boats out there...and Sanger is the best value boat. If I didn't get such a sweet deal on my Nauty when I bought it, I'd have a Sanger in my garage right now.
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-12-2006, 4:26 AM Reply   
the '07 moombas are pretty money and the lsv is a great boat. I vote moomba.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-12-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
That would be a hard choice for me. But here on the east coast we have no Sanger dealers that i know about. There for i went with Moomba. I am not disappointed and i wouldnt think you would either, with either of the two.

GO DRIVE THEM BOTH AND YOU TELL US.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-12-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
Brett,
What do you consider a crossover boat? Most people mean a boat that is good for wakeboarding and also good for skiing. If that's what you are looking at, you may want to look at something other than a v-drive boat (perhaps a Mobius LS). Even without ballast, the 2006 LSV put out a decent wake, not really good for skiing. Just a thought.
Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-12-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
I don't want another direct drive I don't ski the course except a few times a year. I Need more room with the family. I skied behind the Outback V and Sanger. If anyone knows about the weather its flooding in Washington and this made for a thrilling pull to say the least. I haven't skied behind the LSV yet. Is it that much different then a Outback V?. I will push the dealer this week and find out, I need to drive.
Here the report:
06 Sanger 215 Great looks, Great interior, Great seating position, Very nimble to drive, Good ski wake. Perfect pass, Better stereo, Better cover

07 Moomba Mobuis LSV cost less unless the dealer decides otherwise, could be a stumbling block. Get to pick my own colors. 3 bag bag ballast.3 year war. Ice chest under seat not glove box. better service department.Great storage access Better throttle position. (Outback) good ski wake.

06 Sanger Bad throttle and position, flimsy glove box,flimsy cover around gauges, speaker placement, single ballast, Wood stinger design

07 Moomba Negative perception, No perfect pass, cheap looking interior, Inferior type gauges Classic lines not up to date.

I like both boats both ski well; Sanger just looks cool, Moomba classic lines has more storage and good repore with dealer. Need some input
Old    stillstandin            11-12-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
Dont let the wood stringers worry you, they wont be a problem. If anything the help the Sanger feel solid, and quiet. Most manuf. went away from wood do to cost, and effort it takes to do it correctly, then they turned it around and said wood rots, we use fiberglass. Sanger does it correctly and wont change because it is better. Sanger's are outstanding boats, you would be very happy with one. I have never been around Moombas, but their owners seem to by happy as well....remember 150 mph offshore boats still use wood do its many good qualities. The inboard market is the only one who knocks on it.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-12-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
But Craig...wood does rot!
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-12-2006, 6:51 PM Reply   
Are you freaking kidding me? Have gotten in the boats and crawled around them? There is a nigh and day difference between the two.

Actually so does fiberglass, if you get water absorbtion it will break down too.

Sanger builds one of the most solid hulls out there. They don't build bling but I will put a Sanger against ANY, I mean ANY wakeboarding hull out there. Go to the show and knock on a Sanger hull and then the Moomba hull and you will be sold on the Sanger.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-12-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
Easy there Red. I never knocked a Sanger a day in my life. Craig said the towboat industry made an excuse for not using wood, and I simply said wood does rot. I've seen plenty of boats with rotten wood. Hell, I re-did the stringers in mine for this very reason.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-12-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
How many times have you seen a Sanger with rotten wood? Lots I bet, because they have been in business for a very long time, since 1954! In that very long time they have built a lot of boats. Many that have stood the test of time and are still running around today. Sanger build quality is top notch as far as structure and hull goes. Those wood stringers that you have to come out and say rot help dampen most of the rough water that you go through. They dampen the sound and most importantly the vibration so well that the hulls last a very long time.

You just don't have anything worth while to say and have to come out and say that it will rot, well it won't and if it does, it's fixed for free!

Most builder's don't use wood because everyone has gone the way of Moomba and has started to cheapen everything up in order save money and make more profits. It's a good marketing ploy to say something is bad because it costs more to use during construction.

Do your homework, crawl around those boats, talk to owners and talk to the family who owns the company. If it's a Sanger you can talk to the family that owns the company, Mike and Kathy Davidson, if it's Moomba you might be able to talk to the board or something.

http://www.sangerboats.com/craftsmanship.html

Buy family, buy quality, buy history, not the board of directors BS!

(Message edited by san210nut on November 12, 2006)
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-12-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
Oh man. Forget it. I just said wood may rot like it did in my CC. You're going on and on about Sangers and how much I'm wrong about their build quality.

Red, I'm from Southern Ontario. I've never even seen a Sanger around here. I'll be the first to admit that. You're totally missing what I'm about. Just forget it.
Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-12-2006, 7:23 PM Reply   
Actually I have crawled around both. I did notice the Moomba does not finish underneith the dash area. Red please explain the night and day differance and explain the fiberglass note. I came from a 78 Ski Nautique with wood surrounded by fiberglass that lasted 28ys so I aggree as long as its cover threre shuold be no issue. I almost wish I had my boat back this has been hard trying to pick a new boat.
Old    DRA            11-12-2006, 7:54 PM Reply   
Just to clear the air on the Sanger stringers, Sink them for 50 years and they still will not rot. Sanger has taken the time over the years to use a material that is solid and rot resistant. Both are good boats, Sanger is more of a solid boat with better handeling. Moomba will give you a bigger stock wake. The shape is diffrent on both. Moomba is making steps to improve the interior feel but still not quite there, the Sanger is plush and finished nicely.
Old    troystubb            11-12-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
man spend a little more and get a supra, iv got an 06 and it is solid,, i have ridden behind malibu's and master craft and the supra is right up there with those boats,hand laid fiberglass and no wood there are awesome boats
Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-12-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
Wish I hadn't mention wood. Wood does not bother me. What about the boats in general good/ bad ect. For the price I was qouted for a Supra I would rather get a CC 211 hold over. I started at 30K and up to 40K and I'm not going any further. I have look at CC/MC/MU used boats and realize my 78 was in better condition. Thanks too the people that have stayed on track, I really only want this information. Thank you
Old    troystubb            11-12-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
moomba's are solid boats ,, what are you using the boat for mainly, water sking, wakeboarding, wakesurfing ?
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-12-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
The wood that Sanger uses is, I believe, called Aquabeam. I am pretty sure that this is the same as the XL wood used in the older Tiges. If it is, you will not have a problem with it. When I redid the stringers on my '83 Nautique I went to the Tige factory to get this wood. It is EXPENSIVE. It is some good stuff. I've had an extra piece of plywood of it laying around for a few years and it has never even warped. It is some badass stuff. Even cuts different.

It is way better in rough water too. I've ridden in a lot of bigger boats and the ride in my Nauty with the new stringers is WAY better than any other wakeboard boat I have ever rode in. We made it a lot stouter though, with 4 stringers instead of two. We also added a wood floor (the original only laid fiberglass over the foam with wood in some areas for bolting the seats to).
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-12-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
I can't compare the two as I have only seen a V215 once at the factory but I have owned a V210 for 3 years & put 415 hrs on it. As far as design and build quailty I am over the moon with my Sanger and everybody who sees and rides it are 100% impressed.

The only advise I can really give is to choose the one that does it for your heart, both boats come from great companies, I'm sure both will do you well.
Old     (yoshihiro)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-13-2006, 12:25 AM Reply   
My Sangar(DLX Sangair) was used for over 3000 hours.It is strong. No hair crack.Keeping of the outdoors. but it ventilates and the floor is dried.Sanger's gel coat work is great.It doesn't worry. I have Supra Launch DD,too.The many hair crack has been generated about 700 hours.However, it is unquestionable for use.

Both company also supplies great service. My boat is in Japan. Sangar doesn't have the dealer in Japan. However, both company also will supply parts in about one week.
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-13-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Brett,

My Sanger dealer used to be a boat mechanic for many years. He became a Sanger dealership because of one main reason.

1-Sanger boats are built so well, that they rarely, if ever have problems. And when they do, they are normally a quick and easy fix.

I am personally a friend of his (Jason Wipp). He does mechanical work on most brands out there...Nautique, Mastercraft, Malibu, Supra, etc, but yet he chose to sell Sanger boats, which isn't easy in MI because no one has ever heard of them...it is hard to sell something when it is new and not well known. BUT he chose to sell Sanger because they are, in his opinion, the best built boat.

He knows a lot about boats, etc. check out all of his certifications and his services.

http://jabezmarine.com/certifications.php

The only thing I didn't like about the Sanger V215 you mentioned above was the fact that it didn't have rear ballast. This is not a huge problem as our boat also did not come with rear ballast. We quickly had our dealer install Fly High V-drive sacs that hold more water than stock does. If I were you I would definitely ask your dealer if they would install rear ballast bags.

If you're interested I could help you out with the rear ballast. I know what bags, pumps, and wiring you should use. It was not very expensive at all.

Let me know if you have any questions. I know I'm only 18 and you are probably thinking I'm only on the Sanger side because that is the boat my dad bought and my friend sells.

Later in life I may try out other boats (it can never hurt to demo). I just love driving boats. But I know I will always keep an eye on Sanger as they are certainly (in my opinion) the best boat for the money. In my opinion they are on top as far as build quality on their hulls, but like others have said, they do lack bling and fun little features and like you said earlier they do have some flimbsy interior parts like the dash and glove box.

Anyways, I don't consider myself a Sanger worshiper, but I definitely enjoy the boat, the wake, and the zero problems we have had for two years.

All right, I'm done rambling.
Old    DRA            11-13-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
FYI,
The 215 does come with the tripple ballast option it is the 210 that no longer offers rear ballast. BUT yes they can be installed after and the factory will do it if you prefer.
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-13-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
FYI? wow, cool.

(Message edited by jovedawake on November 13, 2006)
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-13-2006, 5:29 PM Reply   
Brett, I know of a 2006 Supra 21V Loaded with 80 hours, perfect condition for 41K with remainder of warranty, it is burgandy in color, email me. He will go as low as 41K Payed over 50K
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-13-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
Stick with the Sanger, it will hold it's value better!
Old    DRA            11-13-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
Well I have a 2004 215 loaded, with additional ballast for 37,500.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-13-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
WARNING!!! DONT BUY GARYS BOAT, YOU MIGHT BLOW OUT A KNEEJK.. GARY HAS A SWEET V215 AND THE WAKE IS BIG
Old     (markcabo40)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-13-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
Check out the Calabria Pro V2.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-13-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
Yes the Calabria is a sweet boat.
Old    jay_23            11-13-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
Gary, how many hrs. on your 215???
Old    DRA            11-14-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
350, well maintained, allways garaged.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-14-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
Don't get me wrong, i love Sangers. In fact i live less than 10 miles from their factory. But you said that you had a good relationship with the Moomba dealer. To me the dealer can make or break a boat buying experience. If your having a hard time choosing between the two and one dealer is decidedly better than the other, you should go with the dealer that you feel most comfortable with. JMHO
Old     (scarabii)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-14-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
Loaded 21V 2006 will sell for pay-off of $42800.00 Boat has 125hrs and warranty is transferable. Will consider delivery..

Upload
Upload
Old     (brett_busby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2006, 10:15 PM Reply   
Sorry guys I've been shopping. After the wife and I drove the Moomba we decided the Sanger was a better fit. A dealer can really be a help but, I had my correct craft for 28yrs with no dealer around and no owners manual I just learn to fix things myself. With that in mine I'm looking for a dealer on The I5 coridor. The one in my area doesn't have what I want. I've found 4 dealers in the San Fran area that have the options and colors. Is there one in the Seattle area or Northern Calf? Eastern Oregon or Washington? With Thanksgiving coming up I have time to travel. Thanks for the help I need to buy a boat, snow falling and I need to get my M1000 on the Mountains!
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-14-2006, 11:14 PM Reply   
Alright Brett, very nice choice.

You won't be disappointed.

Post some pictures when you get the beauty.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-15-2006, 12:32 AM Reply   
Can't go wrong with Gary's V215. If you want new, the Sangers are @ Marine Max in the Sacramento Area. Stop by at Berryessa if you get down here during Turkey day weekend.
Old     (imiguy68)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-15-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
moomba!
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-15-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
sorry sean, you loose.

and for good reasons :-)
Old     (aboatguy)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-28-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
How about an '07 very well optioned 215 for 40k new? aboatguy@adelphia.net