Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-01-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
Last week I spent the week at water monkey camp, a wakeboarding camp in new Durham. I entered the camp unable to even wake to wake and left the camp throwing huge tricks! Check out the edit I made!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvdGUcQQ9E8

Old     (CRW)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-01-2013, 4:39 PM Reply   
What were the mistakes you noticed that prevented you from doing wake-to-wake before the camp?
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-02-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW View Post
What were the mistakes you noticed that prevented you from doing wake-to-wake before the camp?
In truth, a lot of it had to do with the boat at the camp. It had much more ballast and a taller wake, allowing me to cross much easier. Previously I had been riding on a Mastercraft x-2 with no center ballast tank filled, so the wake was small as could be. But the most important thing going wake-to-wake is allowing no slack in the line and holding your edge hard that seems to do the trick.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-02-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
You went from not going W2W to landing Tantrums, Scarecrows and Raleys to 180's after 1 week? That's incredible. Truly amazing actually.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-02-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
If you're the right age, fitness and mindset--it is no problem to progress fast. In about a decade of working at camps you get about 1-3 "freaks" a year that progress super fast.

Great job! I remember the summer my riding blew-up. I wasn't a student, but I mopped, cooked and mowed at a ski-school. It is amazing what some good conditions and instruction can do.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       07-02-2013, 12:11 PM Reply   
Is all that riding you, or at what time does your riding stop? Just curious. Congrats.
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-03-2013, 11:53 AM Reply   
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-03-2013, 1:33 PM Reply   
Just curious, what tricks did YOU learn? It seems to me there are multiple kids riding in that video.
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-04-2013, 3:55 PM Reply   
I was easily the biggest rider at the camp. My last clip was that crip, I did it on a liquid force trip 141 versus my ronix district 138. Last year wakeboarding I wasn't any good if you look at my videos. The trick to my sudden and fast progression was eliminating the fear factor in snowboarding. This winter I learned multiple huge tricks snowboarding over the course of a couple months, including rodeo 540s, back flips, misty 540s, and a front flip. I also started hitting much bigger jumps that winter, also helped me get used to that airborne feeling you get. Although at first it did feel foreign on a wakeboard, I did manage to get a feel for it in a short amount of time. With coaching, I was easily able to somewhat transfer my skills from a snowboard to wakeboard, more easily done because I was not afraid to go upside down, etc. one thing easily noticed is that I cannot pass the handle. There are no spins above a 360 in the video of me and that is simply due to the fact that I never learned to pass the handle, haha perks and cons of being a snowboarder. All in all, awesome week.