Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-25-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
Helping a buddy with a ballast install.

There seem to be two different kits for the Xstar, one that's complete for about $1250, and includes all hoses, "distribution flow valves", t-valves, etc:
http://www.wakeside.com/product/boat/ballast/ballast_bags/fly+high+mastercraft+x-star+complete+ballast+system.do

And one that's just the bags for $600. It seems like you could buy some hose, t-valves, and clamps and be good to go, right? Here's the bags:
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Ski-boat-accessories/fat-sacks.html

But the price seems like a big difference. Anybody have experience with either of these kits, and how to install either setup? Couldn't you buy the bags and just "T" them off to the overflow lines of the stock ballast tanks?

(Message edited by phenom_1819 on February 25, 2009)
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-25-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
I know a guy that has the two rear sacs that he just put a tee in the lines from the pump with a valve to switch between the factory tank and the fly high sac. All parts came from Lowes.

I just got the fly high sacs for my x2 and plan to install this way since I thought the same thing about the price. I will see if he has any pics of his install and try to post them.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-25-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
The kit usually comes with some shut off valves so that you can isolate the factory system from the extra bags. I prefer not using them and just reprogramming the pumps to run longer and fill the whole system.

You'll need some hose and fittings, basically the factory system overflows into the bags and then the bags vent through the existing through hulls.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-25-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
Gotcha... just was pointed to this link that explains the more expensive full kit:
http://www.fatsac.com/PDFs/X_Star%20Aditional%20Ballast.pdf

While spendy, it's a pretty damn impressive system...
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-25-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
I know wakeside in the past sold both kits but the bags come with the fittings glued in so you have to plumb them in. I have seen a couple customers install the kit and the wake difference is amazing. The kit is easy and does deliver everything you will need but you will also need the pump modules if your mastercraft requires it. What year is your X Star?
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-25-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
2007 -- The timers are 4 minutes each. I wouldn't think the modules would have to be switched out...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would the fill sequence for FULL ballast:
1- turn on ballast switches and fill stock tanks until full.
2- turn off ballast switches.
3- flip Fly High distribution switches from the tanks to the bags.
4- turn on ballast switches and fill aftermarket bags until full.
5- Done.

Right?

Since we would be filling in two steps, I wouldn't think the timers would need to be changed out...?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-25-2009, 6:22 PM Reply   
^ that is 100% correct
Old     (x45er)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-25-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
I was looking at the same thing....Are the valves needed? I was just going to attched the new sac intake to the hard tank overflow and move the overflow to the new sac.

It should work right? Mine is as 07 and I thought you could reprogram the timers using a prgramming sequence with the fill/drain switch.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-25-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
ive got the kit in my 04 x-star. you need the bags in the front too. travis moye talked me into getting the whole kit. before i was just using the 2 bags in the back. he explained the x-star is very weight sensitive in the front. he adds another 300 to 400 lbs on top of the kit in the front. its sooo easy with the kit and i use the front sacs filled even w beginners when i have the xtra rear sacs empty
Old     (shawnk)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-26-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
Or do like I did, and re-wire it without the timers. Endless ballast time.
http://www.lockituponline.com/08-x-star-fly-high/index.htm
Upload
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-26-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
Yep, thats the way to do it up! Thats how the X-Star I used this summer was set up, much easier to use than the timers.
Old     (maxwake)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-27-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
Cal drop me a note at maxwakemaxfun@gmail.com. I sell Fly High factory seconds and new Fat Sacs, and have some of the components you need at a considerable discount and can get the others as well. We have done a few of these and are glad to help. www.MaxWake.com
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-27-2009, 6:50 AM Reply   
Bobby,

I would be interested in buying some used sacs if the discount was good. I would be interested in the fly high 4 sac system for an 06 xstar.
Old     (moradaboardin)      Join Date: May 2005       02-27-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
The flyhigh system is a great system that has a lot of pros the best of which is the bags themselves(i wont put anything else in my boat) with the only cons being....1) price: you can get all the same components of better quality without the flyhigh branding for alot less money at a farm supply store. and 2) It relys on your existing pumps to do 2Xto 3X the work. net result=slow filling and emptying.
That being said the kit is great if you dont mind the price and will save you some time in aquiring all the components, I would just augment it with at least 1 or 2 more ballast puppys (contact jabsco) to speed things up. I used to work in the industry and before these complete systems came out i did several of these several different ways and the problem i saw the most is skimping on pumping power. We used to surf a calabria with 2, 900lb sacs and it would take 10 minutes to fill them both untill we put a second pump in.

Alot of people get intimidated/confused by ballast but just remember the 2 golden rules of plumbing and youll be fine.