Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-05-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
I have never wakesurfed before and want to try. What is a good entry level board that will not hold me back to much? Thanks in advance
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-05-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
i have a 06' inland surfer red tide for sale...300 obo...

i think it would make a nice entry level board, it's very stable and easy to stay in the pocket w/ a small wake...
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-05-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
Red tide is too much fun!

The Woody from that year is Sexy!
Old     (kingfish2wkbrd)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-05-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
I've got a '05 hyperlite broadcast 4'8" foam top. It's for sale for $100. I've ridden it from learning to 360's and a little air. It can definately do it all.

I'm going to get a little smaller and faster board.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-05-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
JMB, where do you go on kylake we are at the northern end. Trying to find more people on the lake.
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-05-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
My parents keep their boats a at Pebble Isle Marina in New Johnsonville, TN (just past Waverly). We ride anywhere from Cuba Landing Marina up to Fat Daddy's bar just depends on the water conditions.
Old     (stler645)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-05-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
What do you guys think of Hyperlite landlock 5.11 for a bigger, beginner guy?
Old     (freeznuphere)      Join Date: May 2007       02-05-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
What's the length of the red tide?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-05-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
Jim How big and how's the wake? I have a HL Broadcast 5.6. That's good for 220 or so maybe more. I have a friend that's 260ish. The Broadcast is too small for him event with a good wake.

IMO the IS Red shines when you have a small wake. If you have a decent wake then an IS blue does a real good job even for the big guys.
Old     (stler645)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-05-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
Not that big: riders between 6'1"-6'6" 185-220lbs. Athletic builds. We have never surfed before, but want to try it out this summer. The boats a '98 Cobalt 202cs. Not an I/O like a lot of people think. It's a 19.5 ft DD they made for a couple years. Nice boat, but probably not ideal for surfin', but we shall see (also taking suggestions for setup.)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-05-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
Sounds like a small boat. I'd go with an IS Blue or red.

You could save a buck or two and try the larger HL boards but I know that first timers I take out do better with the Blue.
Old     (stler645)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-05-2008, 6:14 PM Reply   
I am trying to save some coin but not at all costs. What trade-offs should I be aware of if I go with the cheaper board? I am really just looking to give myself the best chance at freeriding. Thanks for the input.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-05-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
Friends of mine were trying to learn behind their CC 2001. They weigh maybe 120 and 160. They had a Broadcast 5.6, just like mine. They were unable to free ride the 5.6 behind their boat.

The first time I met these folks they flagged me down and asked if they could surf with us some time. I gave them both a pull right there and then. My boat makes a good sized wake and was able to get them free riding on my Broadcast 5.6 on the first pull. I gave them my IS Red Tide to ride for a couple of hours. They had no trouble with the Red on the smaller CC 2001 wake. After riding my Red they were able to surf their Broadcast behind their own boat.

Now that have a Centurion Avalanche. The Avalanche wake is really amazing, now I have boat envy:-)

One advantage of the HL boards is that they fit in board racks. The HL Broadcast is a nice stable board, good for beginners. It’s not slow but the IS Blue is faster and will surf better for more riders.
Old     (stler645)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-05-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
Maybe i'll give it a try before I pony up for an IS. Do you recommend the Broadcast over the Landlock?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-05-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
I rode the Landlock once. I think he Broadcast is a better board. I found that the nose of the Landlock was unwieldy and found it's way under the wave - a lot.

Beginning surfers gradually learn to use more of the wake and eventually ride smaller boards. So if the 5.6 is too small for you it might take longer to learn how to free ride. Once you figure it out you’ll wonder what was so difficult just a week ago.
Old     (stler645)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-05-2008, 9:34 PM Reply   
Any advice on a skim style board for a beginner?
Old    surfdad            02-06-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
To "save coin" as you noted above, I'll bet you could build a low-end skimmer for under $70. Good way to save $300. I wonder if there is any interest in that?

Back to your question, If I may clarify: skim style for the same folks? 180-220 pound range and I am surmizing a "small'ish" wake? Not a great combo for opening up tons of choices, but there are some.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-06-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
Jimmy the Phse 5 is the king of skim style. After all it is made by the same people that amek ZAP SKIMBOARDS. Which is one of the iggest skim companies and has been around for 20 something years>>>

also all the HL and LF boars I have ever rode big or small all seem to have alot of drag I worked harder to keep up with that board than mine.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-06-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
Iv got a few customers down there. Iv got a new 5.6 broadcast 2007 model for 190.00
Old     (bluto)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-06-2008, 5:54 PM Reply   
Drew,
According to Skimonline http://www.skimonline.com/equipment/buyers_guide/skimboards.htm
" Zap Skimboards

Zap Skimboards is probably the biggest skimboard manufacturer by volume in the world. Many of their boards are made by machines using a process similar to snowboard construction. Most of their board models are seen as more of an entry level products. In early 2001 they came out with a new model, the Carbon Chronic. This board which retails for $350.00 is clearly aimed at the top of the market and is a departure from Zap's roots. I have yet to see one that was not a blem but I expect they are nice boards. The blems seemed very nice.

Zaps are wildly popular on the east coast, however it would be hard to find one on the west coast. Most of their boards are very cheap and aimed at the entry level market! I would consider buying one if I knew I wasn't looking for a top of the line board and I was very tight with my money (buy one of their better ones though, No "Bats" or "Bullets" please!) (Or inversely with the Carbon Chronic I would buy one if I simply loved the board and didn't care about money!). Zap skimboards sponsors several large east coast contests every summer."
Sounds like they only produce an entry level board except the Carbon Chronic which are full of "blems".
Drew rides for Phase5 so take what he says for what it's worth.
I think that Calibrated makes a higher quality and better performing skimboard.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-07-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
I started on a HL Skimskate 5.6. Can surf that all day long behind my DD while drinking Pepsi and smoking. Just gets kinda boring after you get better.

(Message edited by souperfly on February 07, 2008)
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-08-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
Guido,
Do they make entry level boards? Yes it is called bussiness. But if tehre all cheap than why do some of the top skimboarders in the world Ride for ZAP and not another company. As for construction seeing I have worked at the factory building boards and I am there 4 days a week now I can promise there are no machines and nothing like a snowboard. The use presses with the entry level boards but that is only toa llow for mass production other than that each mold is hand sprayed then glass laid then foam laid then sprayed untill teh are hand stacked and pressed. All the high end boards are build by to people. Both who are world ranked skimboarders. So Read what you will. The website you read from is the same guy who OWNS Exile skimboards. So what would expect him to say. ZAP is good buy there stuff not ours???????

(Message edited by ollies_drew on February 08, 2008)
Old     (bluto)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-08-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
I guess that all that is really needed is full disclosure. If you are posting to advertise for your gain then you should disclose that fact. The statement that Phase 5 is the king of skimboards from an employee is not always useful information.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-09-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Well I am not on here to argue with you thats for sure. Ride which ever board it is that suits you. For me it is a phase 5. They apparently are doing something right with a 4 world titles on there boards. But again to each his own so enjoy wakesurfing....
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-09-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
just about everyone on here has an agenda. At least Drew is up front about his affiliations while everyone else downplays theirs.

Guido-that text you copied is 6 years old. Quite a bit has happened since then.

(Message edited by CAskimmer on February 09, 2008)
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-09-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
Thank You caskimmer. After all when you are a sponsored rider your job is to push and promote the company's that support you.