Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-22-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture...t-to-400k-plus

When I look at the video all I see is a lady who is absolutly horrible at her job. She's the freaking bus monitor!!! She's paid to keep this kind of thing from happening and she just sits there and tries to ignore it. We should fire her not talk about her feelings and give her 400 grand.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-22-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
Agreed.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-22-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Does make you wonder what purpose she serves. If she can't control kids who are verbally abusing her then how does she protect anyone else? No mechanism in place to deal with bullies? A monitor should be able to phone ahead and have a police officer or school official get the offending children off the bus and deal with them appropriately. More likely than her not doing her job, it demonstrates that the system is inadequate to deal with the job they have.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-22-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
There maybe some truth to that but what is a person to do? She can't lay a finger on those kids except maybe to stop them from physically assaulting her or another kid. She could yell back at them all she wanted but that wouldn't stop them, it likely prove to excite them all the more. She certainly can't start insulting them in return.

It's absolutely despicable and mortifying behavor. I can't begin to imagine how I would respond to that as a parent of one of those kids.

Quote:
One student taunted: "You don't have a family because they all killed themselves because they don't want to be near you."

Klein's oldest son killed himself 10 years ago.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-22-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
Kids have been mean for hundreds of years! Blaming reality television and cell phone cameras isnt what caused these kids to be so cruel. Questionable parenting, and peer pressure led these kids to be cruel. If dumb people want to send her $20 so she can go on vacation because she wasnt very good at her job, let them. Maybe i can set up a fund so dumb people can send me on vacation, cuz my kids are driving me crazy!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-22-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
I want to agree with you guys but I don't. We live in a world where you can't even point a finger at kids anymore without reprocussion. 15 years ago my mom wooped my butt with a spoon and I never thought twice about making that mistake again. Hit a kid these days with a spoon and CPS will snatch em up. My question is, what was she to do? What was the purpose of the state/county/school even hiring her if she can't disipline kids. If you guys had a son that killed himself and a kid said to you the same things they said to her, how would you react? Most would probably beat the piss out of the kid and then where would this story be? Do I have sympathy for her for doing nothing? Not really, but what could she have done is the question? Like Hate N Pain said, she could have yelled. We all know that wouldn't have done a thing. I'm not saying she deserves 400k, heck no. But I do feel statements like she should be fired for letting it happen is absolutely wrong. So that being said, what could she have done to make it right?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-22-2012, 9:50 AM Reply   
She is the bus monitor. She should be regulating on these kids.

The kids are in school and subject to school discipline while they are on the bus. The bus monitor should be enforcing that discipline.

Would you feel the same way if she were a teacher, the school dean or the principal?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-22-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
You guys saying she sucks at her job are ridiculous. Seriously. Did you watch the video?

It's not just a little poking fun at her. They were absolutely terrible to her. Telling her that her family is dead because they killed themselves to get away from her. Physically threatening her, etc... I mean jesus christ, that is ****ing awful. A quick little "your fat" jab would have been one thing, but a 10 minute berrating of VERY personal stuff is well beyond what any person should ever say to any other person. Especially considering the fact that she was crying. I mean seriously, you made the woman cry. Wouldn't you just stop right there? I would think that at least a few of the kids on the bus would have felt bad for her and pressured the others into stopping, but nope, it continues on.

School bus kids, I've got someone I would like you to meet. His name is Jerry Sandusky, and he will love you long time.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-22-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
The kids are in school and subject to school discipline while they are on the bus. The bus monitor should be enforcing that discipline.
Yes but what recourse would/does a person have in that situation? I agree with John in that they should have a system in place to remove them off the bus immediately. Then they can be disciplined there after. She obvioulsy can't hand out suspensions. She likely is affored little more than to observe nad report, hence the term monitor. Like Dave said she and the like are very much hamstrung these days to do much of anything.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-22-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
shawndoggy- what do you consider "school discipline"? How would you have handled it or regulated the kids? Would you tell them they are going to get detention? That doesn't scare most kids these days. Would you have grabbed them or physically made them sit down or be quiet? That's grounds for being fired if a parent found out you even touched their kid. Thats what I'm saying, there is point where no matter the job title you are limited to what you can and can not do. I commend her for shutting up and taking it, if a kid told me my child killed himself because he didn't want to be around me I can't say I would have handled it the same. I would never harm a kid no matter how bad I was offended but lets just say there would be some words thrown out that would have jepordized my job.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-22-2012, 10:06 AM Reply   
She let it get out of hand, the first kid that said anything should have gotten detention and a "parent-school bus monitor conference". Then the second kid wouldn't have said jack, and if he did he gets 2 detentions, eventually you pull the "I'll keep you in detention for the rest of your natural born life" and if it continues you tell the driver to turn around and go back to school and little Joey is going to make everyone get home one hour late because he really wants to talk to the Principal right now.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-22-2012, 10:23 AM Reply   
I cannot believe that people are defending the kids and blaming her for this. Absolutely unfathomable.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-22-2012, 10:26 AM Reply   
^^^ agreed... and done.. lol
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-22-2012, 10:31 AM Reply   
A couple of strategies that I remember employed on my equally rowdy bus 30 years ago.

1. pull over bus and separate trouble makers. Make ringleader sit in the front seat next to the driver.

2. if it doesn't stop, pull over bus and call school police / school / parents. Cell phones certainly make that easier than the radio did back in my day.

My mom was a middle school teacher and eventually principal. She doesn't look too much different from this lady. She would regulate on those kids in a heartbeat.

Would you feel the same way if it were a prison guard and the prisoners made her cry?

It's a tough job. A few middle school kids WILL be vicious if you give them an inch. Lord of the Flies was written in 1954. This is nothing new.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-22-2012, 10:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
A couple of strategies that I remember employed on my equally rowdy bus 30 years ago.

1. pull over bus and separate trouble makers. Make ringleader sit in the front seat next to the driver.

2. if it doesn't stop, pull over bus and call school police / school / parents. Cell phones certainly make that easier than the radio did back in my day.

My mom was a middle school teacher and eventually principal. She doesn't look too much different from this lady. She would regulate on those kids in a heartbeat.

Would you feel the same way if it were a prison guard and the prisoners made her cry?

It's a tough job. A few middle school kids WILL be vicious if you give them an inch. Lord of the Flies was written in 1954. This is nothing new.
A principal's resonsibility and pay is VASTLY different than a bus monitor. This is retired woman working for extra money, probably $15k/year or so. She is not expected to be the end-all for behavioral issues. She is there specifically to make sure that nobody gets hurt. IE, make sure kids are in their seats and not fighting basically.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-22-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
If she was in Florida maybe she could have "Stood her ground". When that kid poked her, she could have grabbed his hand and snapped it off at the wrist. Behavior problem instantly solved.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-22-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
I don't doubt it but what people got away with 30 years ago and today is pretty different. Kids can pretty much do or say what they want these days with very little recourse relative to the ass whooping we would have gotten.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-22-2012, 10:54 AM Reply   
Let's be clear here, this isn't tax payer money through a lawsuit that the school is responsible to pay. They were donations from people who felt bad for her. The money in my mind doesn't matter
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-22-2012, 11:33 AM Reply   
I am not saying it was her fault. She obviously found herself in a situation that she was not prepared to deal with. IMO she could have taken steps to circumvent the situation.

As far as the money? I thinks it a little ridiculous but if people want to give it so be it.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-22-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Let's be clear here, this isn't tax payer money through a lawsuit that the school is responsible to pay. They were donations from people who felt bad for her. The money in my mind doesn't matter
Completely agree but I think that it does have people a little upset for whatever reason.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-22-2012, 1:16 PM Reply   
I am amazed at the OP and those defending these kids by blaming the woman for what she got. She's 68 years old. I can't even fathom ever having spoken like that to any adult, much less a 68 years old woman, and if I had my parents and especially my grandfather would have whooped my deserving ass. Disgusting behavior, and the "apologies" following the blowup seem pretty shallow and insincere. How incredibly embarrassing to be a parent of one of these pathetic kids.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-22-2012, 3:14 PM Reply   
I don't think anyone is defending the kids. They all need to be punished.

The fact that she is 68 doesn't enter into it. She was employed to maintain the peace on the bus and failed miserably at her job.

We don't pay her to ride the bus, we pay her to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen. Not only did it happen it happened to her... EPIC FAIL.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-22-2012, 9:35 PM Reply   
Sometimes I wonder if Dave pays people to troll through topics like this one to stir "interest" and drive page views.

Unbelievable.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-24-2012, 5:23 PM Reply   
You guys bashing the monitor; either you were on the bus during this lady's entire stint as bus monitor (in that case feel free to bash away) or you are basing your opinions on the small snippet of tape. Maybe she has referred these kids previously to the office. Maybe nothing happened (or maybe a smack on the back of the hand) so these kids saw they can get away with it.

To criticize her makes you all no better than those little turds.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-25-2012, 6:06 AM Reply   
I heard the donation pot was up to 600k this morning..
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2012, 6:34 AM Reply   
for 600k I'd take a serious tongue lashing...call me whatever you want...
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-26-2012, 4:17 PM Reply   
I just watched the video for the first time today. My first thought was why is she sitting there letting the kids talk that way? It doesn't matter whether the kids were talking that way toward her or someone else, her job is to keep things normal on the bus for the safety of everyone. She didn't do it. The kids who were calling her names should be made an example of. I hope their punishment is severe enough to truly make them think about how horrible they were. On a side note, I did watch a video of one of the fathers apologizing to the lady, one of the things he said which made me think WHAT? was WE ARE GOING TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!!!!! As if the kid has made up a story about the monitor to save his own butt. get to the bottom of what? Why your kid is an A$#@! Hole?

She needs to be let go because she is obviously not capable of keeping the kids in check, and the kids need a severe ass whoopin!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2012, 8:10 AM Reply   
the final number $$703,873

I hope that she can make that last for the remainder of her days.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-22-2012, 1:00 PM Reply   
How do I sign up to get 700 grand because a kid was mean to me?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-22-2012, 1:16 PM Reply   
^I'll bully you and we split the profits