Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-11-2008, 7:19 AM Reply   
Ok, so here is the story. I have attended two schools over the years to get a degree in Information Technology. I started with the first 4 year institution straight out of H.S. but was distracted by the usual mindset of partying and freedom. Very Bad Mistake. I almost wish i had waited to go to school. I went four years and didn't make it. I never really had the motivation.

After that I got into Strayer University and tried continuing that education and ran into a lot of problems. I still was not dedicated to it fully as the field i had picked was no longer interesting me and I was working full time as well.

Finally, about 3 years back(Summer 2005),I landed a job producing the real estate channel in Richmond, VA. It was a start into something I actually enjoyed doing. I had been editing personal videos as well as helping others such as a video for a friend's 1st Anniversary, prior to this and really enjoyed creating.

The next logical move would be a job as a video editor or producer. I was working for Comcast which was HORRIBLE but I enjoyed the field i was pursuing. After two years of struggling through corporate B.S. I decided to leave.

I then landed a job at a production company as a video editor. For the most part we make commercials but do an array of other projects as well. I have had the pleasure of learning on an Avid DS which is quite an impressive system (although I LOVE working with Final Cut Studio 2).

Here are my points of conflict.

-I took a paycut to do a job that is more important and specialized. I am aware that I was sort of given the shaft as far as payrate compared to others. To be completely honest i make 30k, which in Richmond, VA is very meager. My rent alone is about 1k/month for 600 sq. ft.

-The company I work for basically has one very large account and struggles constantly with them threatening to leave which would kill the business.

-An office manager who was close to retirement was let go recently showing just how much the business is struggling.

-I am the low man on the totem pole and if I don't have this job then there is really nothing out there for me as I have no piece of paper to present and honestly about a year of REAL experience as I discount the real estate job as a glorified slideshow of photoshop files.

So with that said, I am constantly worried about where things are going. I recently have been digging up information from admissions at Full Sail. The program for the Bachelor of Science in Film is $72,075 but takes only 21 months. I would have to quit everything and do this full time. In turn basically its like starting over. It has taken me a long time to figure out what I want and I really want to be in the field that I am. I just need to make enough money to be fully self-sufficient as I still have to have help occasionally from the parents to just get by.

So is there anyone on here who has had experience with full sail? Are there any other suggestions? What about jobs that would be willing to help get me going in the right direction? I am at ends right now and have been losing a lot of sleep about where I am at. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(Message edited by iamnathanhudson on August 11, 2008)

(Message edited by iamnathanhudson on August 11, 2008)
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-11-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
I'm at fullsail currently. Email me if you have any questions and I will shoot you my number. I was about the same boat as you with the exception that I finished a degree program in film back in Arizona.
brettbrinkerhoff@hotmail.com
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-13-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
Nate,

I haven't had the chance to experience Full Sail, but i did take it in consideration when looking for a film school, i went to Brooks Institute instead. I have heard good things, but at the same time i heard its pretty crazy because its basically a 24hr day school.

The main reason i didn't go is because figured if i was going to move for school, i should move close to where most of the industry is.

If you are just wanting to learn more about programs to excel your skills, i would suggest moviola or videosymphony. They are certified trainers.

If you are looking to learn about film making/production and some theory then i would suggest; Cal-Art, AFI, Brooks (but they are going through some issues right now though)

From my experience that is what i would suggest. Im not bagging on Full Sail at all i want to make that clear, I think its a good school but its not for me. Even though being able to Wake board whenever would be awesome.

Hope that helps good luck. If you have anymore questions or what not just shoot me an email. tvaltierra@mac.com