Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (waket7)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-06-2008, 8:59 PM Reply   
who wears socks when they wakeboard. Because i saw some dude at bullards bar wearing socks i was laughing so hard. It would have been different if he killed but the most i saw him do was a wake to wake jump
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-06-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
I do! The little rubber R's that ronix uses in there bindings for extra grip in the heel area starts to tear up my skin on long sets. OH YA, I dont kill it either!

(Message edited by stevev210 on June 06, 2008)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-06-2008, 9:34 PM Reply   
i have heard that murray wears socks from other threads
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-06-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
a lot of people where socks or something like it with their closed toed especially if they have an injury or cut
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       06-06-2008, 10:01 PM Reply   
I'm going to try it.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-06-2008, 10:32 PM Reply   
I've been wearing them in my murrays and taking a hazing from Uncle Jessie and other CWB riders. But this years Murrays have pressure points and it helps. All the hazing stopped when i landed my 1st Switch Toe 3 though!! lol
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-06-2008, 11:15 PM Reply   
IMO you shouldnt need socks for a wakeboard boot to fit comfortably...
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-07-2008, 3:32 AM Reply   
murray rides with socks. well at least he was at the westside spring ride. he said and i quote "its more comfy with the socks." i have yet to try it but ill let you know
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       06-07-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
Nice profile wakespace! The dude he's talking about would be myself. (since i was at bullards thursday and wearing tall socks while i wakeboarded and didnt kill it but only went wake to wake)! A couple months ago in FL. I asked murray why he rode w/ socks, he said it was more comfy and fit his binding better. So I gave it a try and loved it. Will never go back. Thank you Shaun for the hint on socks.
Wakespace- If you kill it on a wakeboard thats bitchin, maybe one day I'll be as good as you. But for now I'm having a great time goin wake to wake, w/ socks.
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-07-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
Not quite sure why you would laugh at someone for doing something that is comfy to them. What does wearing socks have to do with what level rider he is? Murray rides with them...they make his bindings that were made for him more comfortable...would you laugh at him as he throws some of the biggest s&%t known to man because he wears socks? Don't think so. I wear socks and love it. "Can't knock it till you try it" I mean we all know you are a better rider than Murray, so go ahead and post up your riding pictures without socks.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-07-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
Im glad to hear other peeps were socks, I wasnt aware that Murray wore them, they do make the riding much more comfy and my feet fit snugger in the binding. I'll never go back either.
Old     (hyperlink)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-07-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
I will be giving it a shot next time I thrash FA SHO! Maybe some argyle!!!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
i wear 3mm neoprene socks in the winter!

but i agree with Roddyrod. if you have to wear socks to be comfortable you probably didnt get the right bindings for you. there are so many comfortable bindings out now, but they fit everyone different. it isnt 1999.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-07-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
wakespace....it can be a brutal site to post on

but we all support each other

....no matter what boat, board, ability.....or even weather you wear socks.............
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-07-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
Where are you at wakespace??? You can't call someone out like that and not reply....
Old    atom_ant            06-07-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
I might have laughed too!, just because I've never seen or heard of that, but now I'm gonna try it..... and get laughed at....... and probably laugh at myself. I think I saw an ad for Company Wake wakeboard socks.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       06-07-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
i might start wearing some, i over rotated a tantrum yesterday and had one foot comeout and sliced my ankle on the tail of my cwb absolute. ouch!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-07-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
I wore neoprene sleeves last year with my Transits. They had some pressure points that started to wear on me towards the end of the set. The sleeves alleviated that. I haven't tried them with my 08 Murrays yet, don't feel like I need them, but I may still give it a try.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-07-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
Stephen, where did you find the neoprene sleeves? On one of my bindings, my ankle gets rubbed to the point that it's uncomfortable and maybe this is the solution?
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-07-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
They are at most of the sporting goods stores. The brand I used were McDavid and are considered ankle braces, but they don't give that much support. They have an opening in the heel and the toe is open. They are just the right thickness and easy to put on/take off wet. I think they are around 11-12 bucks each.

(Message edited by srh00z on June 07, 2008)
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-07-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
Here they are, they aren't neoprene though, just elastic. http://www.mcdavidusa.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=64&DEPARTMENT_ID=620
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-07-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
Is this thread for real? Don't you sock wearers feel naked without your gloves? No offense, Shaun, you get a pass for whatever you do.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
I have a large blister on my heal and was wandering how I was gonna ride today. I read this post and thought I would give it a shot to see if it would help. Can't believe I am saying this but it really did feel good and it was easier to slide into my bindings without using lube. It also felt softer. Don't knock it till you try it. By the way I had on footies so you couldn't tell I had on a sock. We did make jokes about how I should have used the old school LA laker socks with the stripes around the top, pulled up to my knees.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       06-08-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
Way to rock the socks JDUB! The Laker socks would be sick looking.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-08-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
I did, when the dog wrapped his rope round my ankle then took off chasing something. I had wicked rope burn for like 6 weeks on both sides of my ankle, and riding the first time was hell with the rubber binding rubbing on it all the time not to mention the salt water. I tried putting on plasters and tape but they would rip off when I either put my binding on or took it off/fell off. I ended up putting a sock over the top of the plasters and tape and it held on pretty good, heaps easier to get in and out of my bindings as well.
Old     (hot_karl)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-08-2008, 11:13 PM Reply   
LOL.

Wait, you guys cannot be serious. I know some of you guys are kooks, but this takes it to a whole 'nother level.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       06-09-2008, 6:53 AM Reply   
I definitely rock the socks in the early spring riding to try to keep at least a little circulation to the toes. Then again, I didn't have the luxury of closed toe quite yet either. Your not cool unless you rock the socks! Ok, that may have been a little overboard.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-09-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Why do people care what others' look like/are wearing-using/ and their skill level so much. Seems like you're worried more about how you are perceived by others than if you're just happy and comfortable with yourself.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-09-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
difference between gloves and socks is that no one sees the socks... except if they are Open Toe boots, then you might get some giggles... especially if they are starting to come off and you not only have lace dangle but a foot of sock fliping arround out the end of the toe box.... OHHH MY GOSH!! I JUST ABOUT CRIED craking myself up with that immage

... all in all, i totally agree with a-dub

p.s. if anyone is thinking of doing a costume shoot on a wakeboard, plz get some long socks and pull them half off out of the open toe and post a pic so i can see it and not dream it. Ohh and wear one of them orange vests and a gold glitter helmet like murray.... i guess i could do it myself, but that would mean i'd have to jump on my old board. i do have one of those helmets... classic ya?

now i am dreaming a funny costume wile boarding contest. has it been done before?

(Message edited by wakerider111 on June 09, 2008)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-09-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
Socks with open toe bindings sounds better than closed toe bindings, which is perhaps the lamest trend in wakeboarding ever.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-09-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
Jeremy, I plan on reppin the Gingerbread man sometime this summer...
http://www.buycostumes.com/Search_All_gingerbread%20man/Category/0/Product/32088/ProductDetail.aspx
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       06-09-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
Jeremy, consider it done. Ill get right on it.

only problem no gold helmet, but Ill find something.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-09-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
I wore fresh nylon puma (thinner and slicker than cotton) socks all winter in my bindings while practicing inside. It started because I didn't want to go putting feet in my bindings without water. As time progressed, I started to wonder if there was a market for "wakeboard socks". Currently I have a cut heel and next time I ride, I am going to give the socks a try. Is 2008 the year of the great sock liberation?
Old     (jd5150)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-09-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
I wear socks almost everytime I ride. Bindings fit a lil more snug....especially after the bindings wear down a lil and strectch. My answers are a tick too big as well the socks just give a tighter fit.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-09-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SOCKS SERIOUSLY SOCKS! hahahahahahaha

This has to be the funniest thing I have ever read!
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-09-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
I burned all of my socks on the first day of spring! :-)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-09-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
shaun, you should tell people you wear boxers OVER your boardshorts. i'm willing to bet people would start wearing their boxers over their boardshorts.
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-09-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
^^^Haha
One of my friends wore socks in O/T boots cause he had a cut we laughed at him so much. Its like wearing socks and sandles yah u could but why?
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       06-09-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
I wore a sock the other day over a cut foot and it was comfortable, but I won't do it all the time by any means, it did make the binding fit better buy it is not worth it to do it every time.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
who wears socks wakeboarding?

-people who aren't afraid of what others think
,people who value comfort and performance over "the look", people with really ugly feet, and shaun murray
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-09-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
if you have to wear socks to be comfortable, you need new bindings!
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-09-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
I think people worry to much about how other people ride or what kind of boat they ride behind or what they wear when they ride. With that being said I might have laughed when I saw it too, but who cares that you aren't killing it. I read a post on here the other night and this guy said some other people were being rude and talking about his "ride" to be honest it makes me sad........ I am not throwing this all at you wakespace just saying thats all
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       06-09-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
ya. i would not be to happy if people were making fun of my ride.

I ride behind a 77' martinique(what turns into nautique), I know it is not a brand new 100,000 dollar wake boat but I am happy with it. I know the wake is not as big as a Xstar or a 230 but it does fine for me, but i like it when I get to ride behind a tourney boat because it is more fun and I can do more stuff. but I don't have to complain about my boat.

I don't like it when people blame their riding on their board, their were guys riding skurfers on stretch lines with now towers and they were killing it.

here is a article I wrote about people who are just super pumped to ride.

http://http://wakeboardsd.net/2008/06/05/super-pumped-to-ride/
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       06-09-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
ya. i would not be to happy if people were making fun of my ride.

I ride behind a 77' martinique(what turns into nautique), I know it is not a brand new 100,000 dollar wake boat but I am happy with it. I know the wake is not as big as a Xstar or a 230 but it does fine for me, but i like it when I get to ride behind a tourney boat because it is more fun and I can do more stuff. but I don't have to complain about my boat.

I don't like it when people blame their riding on their board, their were guys riding skurfers on stretch lines with now towers and they were killing it.

here is a article I wrote about people who are just super pumped to ride.

http://http://wakeboardsd.net/2008/06/05/super-pumped-to-ride/
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       06-09-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
sorry for the double post
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-09-2008, 5:18 PM Reply   
This thread inspired Billy Tonis to try socks over the weekend. Aparently he is hooked and said he will be riding socks also from now on.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-09-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
i have been wearing socks when i ride. just feels like my feet stay in place better. if it didn't work, I wouldn't do it. Kind of like everything else I ride. I haven't really read all the posts but saw that some people were into it and some people giving out flack. Why would anyone take the time to cut someone down for doing something that they feel works better. If someone wants to wear gloves because they can hang on better, whatever. I used to wear gloves, but personally didn't like how they looked on me so i rode without them for a while and got used to it. if someone else is wearing them I don't give them a hard time. They want to wakeboard in their own way. Beauty of the sport.
As far as wearing socks, I can ride my bindings a little looser and still feel like my foot isn't sliding around. Until I find that same comfort and control in a binding without socks, then I will bring out the old trusty cotton tubes.
If we all were afraid to try new things, we would never be on the water in the first place.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-09-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
kinda funny, a whole post on socks.
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-09-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
*hijack*

shaun, i just got done watching 6 pack. loved your interview at the end. not only your boldness in christ, but "this is my little bike. i dont get hurt on it, except for the first time i rode it, i flipped over the handle bars without a shirt, but anyways it doesnt start...*VROOM!!!* OHHH MYY GOODNESSS!!! it started AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHH!!!!!" LOL. i laughed my head off.
*end hijack*
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-09-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
lol, well said Shaun.

me personally, i couldnt really imagine wearing sucks while riding, but like you said, if it makes that person feel better then so be it :-)
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-09-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
I think it is crazy that I keep checking the SOCK post. It is the first one I look at!!! Yeah I am going to try it too when my knee looks more like the other one. You know you can give a guy a hard time in a good way too. We gave a friend so much crap over his gloves he never wears them again. He always showed off his blisters to anyone he came in contact with. Hey don't forget to have fun most of all!!!!!!