Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-24-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
I have a question for anyone with experience with these boots. I have read some of the reviews on these and other (2006) Hyperlite boots that have quality issues.

Any problems with the 2006's? Any improvements with the 2007's?

My boot experience: I'm used to Wiley's old Super Pro Builds, which I have to regretfully retire this year, as they are looking pretty beat up after 7 years. I have demoed other boots since, but still prefer the fit of the Super Pro Builds. Today I put on the Era's, Byerly's, 3DS's, and Murray's while in the store. I love the Era's fit. Too much heal lift on the Byerly's, Murray's didn't feel right, and just didn't like the 3DS's.

Aside from the Era's, are there any other quality boots out there that have the tighter fit for those with low arches?

Thanks!!
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-24-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
i know im gonna get shot down for this but try the ronix with the heat moldable footbed. the footbed really does work, i had mine moolded to my feet and it really does make a big difference. i have the ones and there is no heel lift at all, there fairly stiff, and still very easy to get into. you should definitely give them a try tho
Old    innov8actionsports.com            02-24-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Go to a shop and try on some CWB Zeus, Factions and Fuse.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-24-2007, 9:39 PM Reply   
i seriously shredded 3 pairs of eras, in about 3 weeks, one of which was on my first ride with em
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-24-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
Thanks Josh, I will have to try a pair on to see what they are all about.

Jeff, I hear great things about the Zeus, but looks too busy for me. The boots that I am replacing are no way near as complicated as the Zeus, and I would like to not get too carried away with all the rachets, ect.

Kevin, what do you mean by shredded? What happened that caused them to be "shredded"?? Has anybody heard on what Hyperlite has done to fix the problem you were having?

Thanks!
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-24-2007, 10:30 PM Reply   
ERA: I broke the plastic clamp thingy on mine on the second time out. Granted, I took a pretty hard fall but that's not unusual for me. I like to push beyond my capability. Never broke a binding before that. To their credit, the shop replaced it quickly and with no questions asked. That's the sign of a good shop.

Bought the CWB Zeus over the winter and have used it a couple times. Really like it. Fits better on my feet than the ERA's. That, of course, is a personal thing.

I have two friends who also own the ERA's and have had no probs and like them.

RE: Scott's comments about CWB Zeus being complicated...well, I disagree. Same gig as ERA's. Pull up the straps on either. Flip the ratchet on the Zeus. Done. Better fit for me. One extra step. No big deal.

Bindings are a very personal thing. Best thing to do is find a shop that can demo them.

Would you buy shoes based on what you read on the net? Prolly not. Don't buy bindings based on what you read here. Balance what you read with a demo.

Me, I rode my ERA's a few times. I rode my Zeus's a few times. The Zeus's win. For me and me only. The ERA's came highly recommended so I can only assume that they are great for a lot of folks. Mine will be up for sale though when spring arrives.
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-25-2007, 6:55 AM Reply   
Thanks David for your input. I am going to have to find a shop that deals CWB so that I can check them out.

The problem I'm running into is that all shops here that I've talked to will let you try them on in the store, which I have, but does not have a demo policy on boots, just boards. When I was at the board shop yesterday I tried on as many as I could, but they didn't have CWB.

Now that 2 of you have referred the Zeus's, I will have to see if I can check it out.

As for complicated, I think that all of the boots on the market are way more complicated compared to earlier days, and the Era is the first boot that I like as much as the Super Pro Builds (hence the reason on why I'm trying to see what the problems with them).

But I have realized something in the past 2 days:

In the past they could get by w/o all of the ratchets/laces/boa/straps/etc.... because of the rubber is more forgivable. This new stuff on the boots I have tried in recent years have a lot less movement, preventing my foot from moving around in the boot (very good thing, as my foot has almost shot through the toes on a few occasions).

The other great benefit - the new ones do not have this big heavy metal plate and heavier rubber material weighing me down.

I'm starting to conform to all of the new stuff. I still have a problem with it being too busy and more things to break. My current boots I have replaced the rubber once a few years ago, but have been riding the same boots for 7 years now, and still prefer them to most others on the market today.

Thanks again for your input!

Anybody else have comments/suggestions/experiences for me?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-25-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
by shredded i mean just that, ripped em down the seem on just big jumps. one was on a toeside backroll and it nearly blew my knee when one foot released cus of the boot ripping from top to bottom. i switched to the 3ds after that and have had no problems.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-25-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
I'll second the 3ds. I got a pair of the '07 which are the same as the '06. Put the first set on them yesterday and they rock. I finally found something that my feet like. That and the 2 year warranty I got with them, can't be beat.
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-25-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
Ok, on the 3ds: I was only able to try on the an older model, I'm not sure on how much they have changed? How do they compare as far as tightness around the arch compared to the Era's? I will have to try in the 3ds once they have my size in stock. Unless they are like the older model.

Thanks,
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-25-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
06 was completely different from 05, 06 and 07 are the same though. the 05's were just horrible i thought. as for them bein as tight as the eras? no. however they are snug, they just dont fit like a sock like the eras. closed toe is cool, but the biggest plus to it is in cold water. they act like a wet suit and your feet take a LOT longer to get cold! i have a narrow foot and am INCREDIBLY picky when it comes to boots, the 3ds has a different feel but they work just as well for me, and considering they havent ripped yet im pretty happy!
Old    sealyon.net            03-01-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
A lot of the hyperlite boots had problems with the 2006,which they made good on. They knew they had a problem but it was a little late to fix it in 2006. However the 2007 are suppose to have all the problems ironed out.
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-04-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
Ok, you guys really helped me realize the benefits of the new boots out there. I regret that I was unable to find the Zeus's to try on, but I did try on: The new 3DS's, The complete Ronix line, & even though they weren't mentioned above - LF Shane CT. Also, I tried on the Era's 1 more time.

I loved the Shane's boot, and I wasn't even going to try them on. I bought a pair of Shanes '06 on clearance. I can't wait to get these things on the water!!

I can't believe I'm finally retiring my old Wiley Super Pro Builds that have treated me so well after so many years (since 1997 - 2 pairs of Wileys and 2 sets of replacement rubber on the second pair). They are now sitting on my shelf on reserve in the event that my Shanes fall apart.

Thanks again for all your help!!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-04-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
i got an old pair of wileys, they pinch and the footbed is way too thin
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-04-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
Yes, the footbed is thin, but I have never had the pinch problem. They still fit better than the Shane's I just bought, just a bit heavy and the rubber is drying out again.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-04-2007, 9:19 PM Reply   
2006 eras, if they are gonna break, they are gonna split right down the seam on the top of the foot. i've seen 3 pairs go out like that in my boat. then i convinced him to go 3DS. but thats besides the point. They didnt change the design from 06 to 07 on the ERA so its very possible the new ones will have the same problem.
Old    sealyon.net            03-06-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
Hyperlite is suppose to have all the binding issues taken care of. The design may be the same but some of the non-stretch material's have been replaced with a stretch material to stop the tearing, and the stiching has also had some re-working.